Jobu gets his own Major League baseball card in Topps’ oversized online release

MLjumbo-Jobu

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Jobu gets a baseball card after all.

The five Topps Major League cards that arrived in 2014 Topps Archives last week are getting the jumbo treatment with a little help from their little voodoo idol as Topps is offering a 5-by-7 set of the cards online via Topps.com.

The six-card set will be available for a limited time and arrive in a wax pack befitting the baseball card style of 25 years ago when the hit baseball movie arrived.

The set will include Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton), Ricky Vaughn (Charlie Sheen), Roger Dorn (Corbin Bernsen), Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger) and Eddie Harris (Chelcie Ross) in addition to Pedro Cerrano’s locker buddy.

Sets are $12.99.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

TS

The Topps website is terrible! When you add (1) of these purchases to your cart for the price of $12.99, the invoice magically subtotals to $25.98 and this is with ground shipping of $0.00. What other retailer has a system that automatically doubles the price before checkout? For a company trying to pursue electronic sales avenues, this is a pretty big bust.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink
TS

With respect to my comment above, I just tried several different purchases. All items added to my cart at the designated price and in every situation the total price doubles. Unbelievably poor execution by the IT team at Topps. Any prospective purchaser needs to carefully check the invoice before processing it.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

I had zero problems ordering mine.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
Jay

I just ordered some as well without any problems

Posted June 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
TS

After posting my notes above, I directly contacted Topps (no reply yet).

After later reading Chris’ reply, I tried again this afternoon and the invoice now totals accurately. It sure did not before on several attempts. Readers should closely review their invoices.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink
Jay

TS, because of your post….I made sure my order totaled correctly, thanks for the heads-up!

Posted June 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink
Paul Angilly

I tried to order this morning and it was adding a $6+ shipping charge.

Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink
Nathan

I ordered two the first day I saw it and have had no problems yet. But I do anticipate them. Still waiting for my redemption auto of Shawon Dunston Jr. from about a year ago. I just got my redemption auto from Panini after five months. This hobby is crazy, but i can’t turn my back on it.

Posted June 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink