First look: 2014 Topps Supreme baseball cards

BookGold_MOCK

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps Supreme is coming to the United States

After a Japan-only MLB release last year, Topps announced on Friday that Supreme is coming soon, bringing its simple high-end approach to collectors in this country when 2014 Topps Supreme arrives on Oct. 8.

With just two autographed cards per box and 20 boxes per case, this is a high-end brand.

suoRelic_Harper

All autographs in the product will be numbered to 50 or fewer copies with dual- and triple-auto cards among the offerings along with jumbo patch autographed Relic book and “a multitude of 1/1s” according to the company. The autographs will be a mix of current veterans and retired stars with Simply Supreme autos, Supreme Styling autos and falling one per case will be Supreme Scope auto Relics.

Autographs will have nine parallels — all will be serial-numbered but most quantities were not announced. There will be Green, Sepia, Purple, Blue, Orange (/15), Red (/10), Black (/5) and 1/1 Supreme and printing plate parallels.

Supreme Scope auto Relics will be numbered (volume not announced) with Patch parallels limited to 10 and 1/1 Supreme Patch cards to chase as well. Auto Patch Relics will be numbered to 25 with Platinum parallels limited to five and 1/1 Supreme versions, too.

Dual auto jumbo patch Relic booklets will pair players and be limited to just 10 copies.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Eli Eisele

…and notice that they all are stickers. This will probably 70-110 per box. With all pictures from last year and this year’s release it isn’t worth it.

Posted May 9, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
Wayne Koch

I guess signing actual cards and not stickers would be too much to ask of these multi-millionaires. They have better uses for their valuable time, so I will have better uses for my money!

Posted May 9, 2014 at 10:33 pm | Permalink
randy rodrique

Another High End Whanna Be-Stickers are a dime a dozen and impersonal- Typical Topps-a hand full of stickers on a nice looking card and calling it High End————Trash!

Posted May 10, 2014 at 3:33 am | Permalink
Dr. Mitch J

Just what we need …. Another high end product. Muesum, Tier One, Five Star, Inception, Tribute, and Triple Threads isn’t enough? Ridiculous to release ANOTHER product line at all, high end, middle or low end. The Market is saturated if you ask me. Lets just drive collectors away just like in the 90s.
It would’ve been better to allow Supreme to be a unique overseas-only release.
DrMitchJ

Posted May 10, 2014 at 7:42 am | Permalink
Mike

What an awesome idea! Another $50 plus pack filled with more Tyler Skaggs and drew Stubbs autos…..on stickers as a bonus.

Posted May 10, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink
Mike

Forgot to add, this brings the total amount of $50-$500 regular issue PACKS by topps to over FORTY PERCENT!!!!!

How does this bring in New collectors? How does this bring in kids? Answer is it doesn’t.

Think about it, all these packs don’t have a retail version so they aren’t in retail stores where they could reach TONS of new and returning collectors.

Posted May 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink
Eli

I wish Topps brought back Sterling or blended it together with another old set like Stadium Club where you had the full bleed photos and make a auto and/or relic chase set called Sterling. Supreme looks bad and I predict…redemptions, lots of them.

Posted May 11, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink
Paul

I’m also in favor of a stadium club release. A first day issue with a less than 500 copy print would be a nice set. A Beam team with a team patch would also be a killed relic set.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

So anyone with me buying more Donruss to support someone else? Just stop giving the same white-washed stuff and maybe I would start buying more packs. The only thing I consistently can afford is Ginter, and it is all I buy because of this same thing in every high end pack/box from Topps.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink
J.R.

It’s hard to disagree with all of the previous commenters. Topps, honestly, what are you thinking? There are certainly enough high or mid-high end products out there, why this one?

To say that the market is over-saturated with these types of products is like saying that there were a few players doing steroids. For Topps to have the gall to produce yet another high end product, this time with MORE STICKERS, is infuriating. Yes, 5-Star is a really nice products, with lots of on-card autos and a nice card design. I’ll take it all day long. Museum Collection and Triple Threads are even fun to have, too. But all these others seem to just blend together. Topps would be better off combining all of these others as different inserts in one high-end product.

If I had the opportunity, I would love to have Topps answer just this one question:

What does this product do to make itself unique in any way to Inception, Tier One, Tribute, or any of these other high-end products?

Posted May 12, 2014 at 10:53 am | Permalink
phillies_joe

Nice looking stuff, but have to agree with above. Same pictures and sticker auto’s really put this on my do not buy pack list…staying with singles only and that’s a strech. I do understand the cost issues being faced by Topps in obtaining GU stuff for the relics and the auto’s, so high end in and of itself doesn’t bother me, it’s just the proliferation of products which makes it very hard at times to collect and enjoy it. Pulling a Johnny Whogivesatoot from something like this in the past has really soured me on purchasing packs/boxes of high end. This is why a monopoly is a bad thing for the hobby.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink
Jason K

More high end that the average collector can’t afford. I really have a problem with stickers being on a high end product. Like others have mentioned above, pretty much all of the high end sets have run together. I know I couldn’t tell you the difference between Tier One, Triple Threads, Museum, Tribute, etc. At the very least, if I’m paying $50+ for a CHANCE at an autographed card, it better be signed ON CARD.

If Topps insists on doing another high end release… Maybe they should do something DIFFERENT for high end. How ’bout something other than cards. Maybe a high end memorabilia product where you get signed full jerseys, bats, helmets, batting gloves, etc. They need not be game used, replicas are OK. Take a picture of it, put it on a card, and when the card is pulled, the customer uses an online redemption code to receive the item. es, I realize that would mean more Topps redemptions (something they don’t have a stellar record with), but if they have the item in house before it packs out (they would have to if they are putting pictures of the items on the card) then the wait should be minimal. Something similar was done in the past year or so by another company as a multi-sport product (as a buyback product), but I don’t recall the company.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink
Mike

I KNOW it seems like I hate crazy high end packs. Well I don’t but there isn’t a need for this many.

Tribute, triple threads and bowman sterling are all that’s needed in singular packs.

Finest and stadium club are all that’s needed in mini box form (honestly, these should be considered a pack because no dealer sells the packs singularly and anyway, topps writes “not labeled for individual sale” in the wrappers).

But with this monopoly, what the hobby needs isn’t what topps wants to give.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink
don t

stopped collecting years ago for couple reason #1 the amount of crap being made sup-sets on top of sub-set ,patch cards #2 just got tired of the ball players them self ,juiced up over paid egos that walked on the field and by god don’t every get dirt on your uniform, so after almost 20 years I’m back and not because of the cards it’s the great young players out there that play hard and not afraid of getting dirty so if Topps wants to do something different give me a chance to win a game used dirt cover signed uniform that I can cherish, personally not interested in a piece of Mike Trouts sweater ,theres some great photo shot out there start using them and to get away from a lot of the 90’s players lets start honer the the great player of past that most of us collectors went to or watched growing up ,Kirk Gibson’s,Reggie Jackson’s so let’s get back to the game we all love BASEBALL

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink
whattheheck

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh What is everybody whining about? If you dont like collecting then dont collect. Yeah this set seems to look pretty ugly, we get it. I dont understand all the whining about the hobby and all that mumbo jumbo. I personally enjoy the sticker autos, I love the topps hologram with the autograph. Seems like every time there is a information about a new pre release everyone starts whining about the hobby and what they hate about it.

Posted May 13, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink
Richard

There are problem innate with stickers.
1) Putting the wrong sticker on the card.
2) People like the illusion of the link to the player as if they held the card, or at least saw it.
3) Stickers might peel off.
4) Stickers can sometimes get bubbles, dimples. I had a card graded at the show by BGS and was told part
of the reason for the lower grade was a small bubble on the sticker.

And some of us just don’t really care for the look of most products with stickers on them.
The reason why they did it was to save themselves money.
And it IS possible to do large signature sets that are hard signed, look at the late 90’s Donruss Signature
sets that have pretty much every active player at the time.

Posted May 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink