First look: 2014 Topps Dynasty baseball cards

2014toppsdynasty-trout

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Presenting what it calls “the most carefully curated subject list in trading card history” and the “most-premium Topps product of all time,” Topps released on Friday the basic information and first looks at its latest high-end baseball card brand.

It’s 2014 Topps Dynasty, and it will arrive on Nov. 19 with every card limited to 10 or fewer copies, every card encased and with every card featuring an autograph. There will be one card per box and only five boxes per case with a factory (hobby direct) cost of more than $200 per box.

Dynastyruth

There will be a mix of active and retired players as well as legends whose autographs will arrive via cut autographs.

Autographed patch cards will be limited to just 10 copies per player with 1/1 parallels also to be found. Cut autos will be 1/1s for 50 greats of the game including Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb, Roberto Clemente, Joe DiMaggio and more. Cut signature Dual Relics will showcase a pair of game-used memorabilia pieces alongside a cut sig for just 10 players of the same caliber.

Autographed Dual Relics will showcase past legends’ ink alongside two game-used memorabilia swatches. These cards will be limited to just five copies apiece.

Topps touts this brand as one that “is guaranteed to set a new standard in the hobby” and calls it a “historic opportunity” in its sales materials. However, a preliminary checklist was not released.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

First impression: 2014 Topps Dynasty baseball cards

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Does the hobby need more high-end baseball card sets?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Chuck

The images Topps provided don’t show stickers, but is it safe to assume that all the autograph relic cards will have them?

Posted May 16, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink
Darren

At this price, the cards HAVE to be all hard signed, don’t they?

Posted May 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
Chris H

I don’t necessarily have a problem with buying a single card for $200 but it should be hard signed and a TOP end player. I need to see a checklist first. Checklist should be like 50 or so players, tops! (no pun intended) Don’t give us a $200 card of Adam Eaton or Nick Markakis or whatever other autograph “set fillers” they can think of!(no offense to those players who are good in their own right but they don’t warrant a $200 pricetag) It is an intriguing product idea, just need more concrete info before diving in.

Posted May 16, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink
Mike

Cards do look awesome, especially the patches. With the black borders, I hope there’s no need to break out sour cream & onion dip to go with the “chips” these cards may suffer from.

But like usual not an issue the hobby needs.

Looking forward to a scan of the Ricky Nolasco and Wilin Rosario auto patches.

Posted May 16, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
Paul Angilly

At what point do we stop calling things like this baseball cards, and start calling them what they really are – collectible memorabilia? I mean does this even HAVE a base set? If it did, would anyone even care?

Posted May 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
Bill Lloyd

I very seriously doubt that the silver ink autos will look anything close to what those pics look like.

Posted May 18, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink
Eric Knudson

It sickens my stomach to see they have included a Ted Williams Cut autograph in this product. My 2013 Topps Five Star Dual Autograoh of Pedro Martinez and Ted Williams has not even been “made” yet according to my last conversation with Topps. I am honestly starting to believe they make redemptions for cards they have no intention of ever making. By putting it on the checklist it helps sell the product must be their mindset. Has Topps ever made an official statement about this shady practice they continually engage in? Pedro signed all his other 2013 Five Star on card. And 2014 Tribute and Museum had Pedro on-card, they produced the Bryce Harper and Nomar Garciaparra duals with Ted Williams. But this one they have decided isn’t important. The fact that MLB believes in these guys so much that they get an exclusive license is disturbing.

Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Astonishingly beautiful cards. Outrageous price tag. That will assure that I will never see one of these in person let alone own one. I think this is strictly a product designed to hit the secondary market to see how much someone can get for . . ._____________ while true collectors watch the sales go by.

Posted May 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink
Peter

I love how the mockups of the cut autos are perfect but in reality you know they will be cut off. Also, no need to be making this over-priced garbage when you can’t even fulfill your outstanding high-end redemptions. Disgusting company with horrible leadership.

Posted May 18, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
Jason K

Out of my price range… But the cards really are stunning. I need to see a final checklist before I will know if I am interested in the gamble. Even though guys like Harper and Trout have pricey autographs now, I just don’t know if I would risk a quarter of a paycheck (maybe as much as a third, by the time retailers get their cut) on a product filled with current players (since I have pretty good luck getting autos at the ballpark). I would be more likely to buy something like this if it were legends only. I also worry about redemptions for guys like Willie Mays since Topps has had a very difficult time fulfilling outstanding redemptions due to his health issues.

Posted May 19, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
Chris

Just can’t see getting $200 in value on more than 1/2 the pulls???

Posted May 19, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink
Jerry W

Hopefully there won’t be any redemption cards in this set. You will never get it. I had a redemption card for a Triple Threads white whale 1/1 for Ozzie Smith and got a Dave Ortiz 3/5 as a “comparable” replacement. I haven’t bought any Topps products since.

Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink
Jonathan W. Iwanski

Topps is being Topps: They can’t make a product people actually want on its own, so they make only 10 of something. I’m a teacher, if I said at the beginning of the semester, “I am only giving one ‘A’ this term and everyone else fails,” that becomes one darn valuable “A”. People will fight over it. If everyone gets a chance at an “A”, that’s different. Some people try for it, and some don’t, but no one just gives up.

If Ford makes thousands of Mustangs in 2015, people will buy them because the cars are cool. If they make just one Prius next year, it suddenly becomes valuable–maybe even a collector’s item. The car may be a piece of junk, but they only made one.

When is Topps’ monopoly on the baseball business over? How many more years? Just think of all the great stuff that will come out with all this time companies have had to plan ahead! I can hardly wait. MLB, please don’t eve rdo this again.

Posted July 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink
Salvation SportCards

So Topps, why are these not an insert inserted I don’t know say like one per 2014 Topps Baseball case?!?!
I’ll stick to the old stuff where it’s cheap but still have rare GOOD inserts like.. the late 90′s METAL GEMS that has a $10000 MJ card or something like 2004-05 Skybox Fresh Ink basketball FIVE on FIVE PATCHES (10 Patches from 10 players on ONE SINGLE CARD not that book stuff. Why make it where you have to PAY BIG to PLAY BIG? I can buy 1996-97 Topps Chrome Basketball for less than $50 a pack and have a chance for a Kobe Refractor out of every pack. Heck Topps 2006 football 99 CENTS a pack gives you a shot at a $900 John Madden auto! Currently about to buy a box of 2014 Topps Chrome baseball with 24 packs per box for less than well$70 or $80 buck and giving me a shot at 1/1 cards that people LOVE!

Posted August 27, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink