Your Turn: After nearly 30 years of Beckett Baseball, what’s your best memory of Beckett?

BB1

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Thirty years ago this November, it all began.

While the seeds of Beckett Media reach back another five years with Statabase in 1979, Dr. James Beckett’s first issue of Beckett Monthly Baseball Price Guide, which is now Beckett Baseball, helped change the collecting landscape, helping bring order to the chaos of collecting what was, back then, a still relatively simple thing.

Baseball cards.

As part of the 30th anniversary, we want to know one thing from our readers today as well as the past.

Q: What’s your best memory of Beckett?

Please include your name with your response — and you might see it in a future issue.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Jeff Guinn

In the late 80 ‘ s and early 90 ‘ s I always looked forward to the front and back photography as well as the sketches on the inside covers.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink
Mike Estrich

Receiving my first Beckett, it was the October 1989 with Nolan Ryan on the cover, for my 10th birthday. My dad and I spent the next few hours looking up what was left of his card collection and mine. We had a lot of fun talking about our favorite players past and present. I do remember him telling me that he regretted using Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente in the spokes of his bike after seeing their card values. That night he also made a call to my uncle, his younger brother, asking the location of a few cards that were spared the bike abuse. My uncle claimed they were thrown away by mistake, but some how a few of the “lost” cards ended up in my Christmas gift from him that year.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink
larry robidoux

The best memories are of my 2 boys reading thru the issues and looking at the prices. I think it not only helped them learn names of players but it also helped them learn how to read..lol.. I think it was easier for them to look thru the pages of Beckett then it was to look thru school books.. And learning Math was an added bonus..

Posted April 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
J.R. Lebert

Beckett Future Stars, with Todd Van Poppel on the cover. I may have owned close to 100 of those rookies…

Posted April 30, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink
Larry

Bo Jackson first Football beckett, with that intimidating stare in his Raiders jersey. It was classic then and is still a classic now. I have 2 framed copies and I’m never letting them go

Posted April 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
Richard

Well, for the longest time it was going to the hobby shop weekly and knowing most weeks there would
be a new guide I could look at and keep up to date.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink
Micah

Agree w/Jeff. My favorite memory of Beckett Baseball was the front/back covers. I couldn’t wait to see who were on the covers and hoping one of my favorites made it. They were very clean action shots with usually the one card next to it and it looked great!

Posted April 30, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink
Jason K

I remember back in the late 80′s and early 90′s (long before photoshop), Beckett would put pictures of cards that readers submitted that they had changed to make funny (conversation bubbles, funny names, etc.). I made one out of an 89 Topps Bruce Hurst. He was rubbing his elbow in the picture, and I had changed it to “Bruce Hurts” (corny as heck now, but funny to a kid). I got the next issue, and was looking for the address to submit my masterpiece… Only to find that somebody else used the same card to make a funny (only they used a conversation bubble so that Bruce said “Dang mosquitoes!”

Oh, and I remember how excited I was when I realized I had a card that was worth a whole dollar (’88 Donruss Gregg Jefferies).

Posted April 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

As a teenager in the early 90s I loved the simplicity of the Beckett magazine covers. Today I am a graphic designer for one of the largest publishing companies in the world. The Beckett magazine covers are part of the influence for me becoming a graphic designer. I wrote a blog post explaining the influence at http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/5679_0_3_0_C/ You may reprint any part of that blog post you wish.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink
Ron Atkinson

Several things happened in my life in 1987 to rekindle my boyhood collecting interest: my father died which triggered a huge nostalgic wave, my kids started asking if I had any old baseball cards, and I actually found some in an old cigar box! All of these factors sent me scurrying around to find card shops and conventions which I’d been reading about in the news. I think the first Beckett I saw had Mark McGwire on the cover. I was amazed at what was inside especially the prices! I haven’t missed an issue since!

Ron Atkinson

Posted May 1, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink
Rick

Jeff guinn Agree. Also I will get on my soap box a lil. In the late 80′s early 90′s we would all be excited about the new beckett AND who would be on the cover. Being from Michigan when Andre Ware was on the cover we went wild….. But every issue matter back then. But after a while nothing changed in the guide. All values stayed the same…. For better or worse. I love this hobby more than anything. As a upslide has gone up since the LATE 90′s have have grone to hate “the chrome, prospect, auto, refractror, super ninja blah blah blah “PAPER COLLECTOR” And I’m not trying to sound pompuse or stuck up, it just feels more unreal and profit. I.E.: I pull a Andrew Luck Auto: I”m going to put it on ebay. I can not connect with recent collectors/dealers. I feel old even though I’m only 34. Yet most people are all about the before mentioned.
How about a nice 80′s or 70′s card. If you have the money buy a graded 68 ryan or 59 gibson. And on and on i could go. Or go buy those refractor, plate, auto/ patch/ super/ ninja/chrome/”PAPER Cards”/ and let the rest of use real collectores (yes you olds) keep on keepin on. You know what the new collectors can do…

Posted May 1, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink
Eli miller

Love your company

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
Brad wohlk

As a kid growing up when Beckett was prime I always called on and relied on Beckett prices for trading and selling. I still to this day have some monthly prices guides from the early 90s. It was the to to almanac me and all my friends and I’ll never forget that! Thank you Beckett! May your reign on collector pricing continue for another 30 years!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

my best memory is the original beckett buy and sell on the website where I could list cards for sale

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink
Jean-Pierre Alarie

When my big brother gave me all of his cards collections from when he was my age as a christmas present and I spent so much time checking all the cards price in the Beckett to check if I had hidden gems in thoses 2-3k cards! Was so much fun going through a pile of baseball, hockey, basketball and football cards!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink
Jonathan Gosvener

My earliest memory was around 1989. Walked in a sports card shop, triped over the rack that had all the Beckett Magazines on it. Oops, I said, the store owner wasn’t as nice. He made me pay for at least one of them. As I was happy to do so. Then bought my packs as always, then went home. That’s where the magic started for me. As I looked up all my collection. I was amazed at the prices, and how easy it was to do so.. And was heart broken on some. But others I was thrilled. And have been buying those magazines ever since. Lol :-). Thank you Beckett as I am now 35. Which is when you guys originally started. And can never forget how I learned about you.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink
Joey

Happy Birthday !!!
The Big 3-0!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
Sophia Munoz

The best memories of Beckett are being made on a daily basis with my kids. Reading it and explaining it to my 6 year old son and my 3 year old daughter. My 3 year old daughter loves to look at the Beckett graphics and pictures and says ” wow baseball”. Beckett is helping build memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you Beckett Magazine. Happy 30 years and many more to come.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
Jake Bazella

I remember walking up to Shinders in the mid-80′s during my childhood and always waiting for the next month’s Beckett to come out with the updated prices. I’d run home and go through my collection of Ripken/Gwynn/Boggs/Sandberg/Mattingly/Strawberry/Puckett/Gooden etc… to see how they were doing. Those were such fond memories I’ve recently taken back up the hobby and gone back further to the Golden age of baseball. I love it! And I’m a sucker for the BGS 10′s, there’s nothing better! I’m a proud owner of an ’83 topps Boggs, ’85 topps Gooden and ’84 topps Marino and looking for more on the ones I used to collect way back then!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink
Scott Clifton

How do I even put into words what Beckett has meant to me being a collector since the early 80′s? I really can’t so I just want to say THANK YOU and keep the arrows pointed up every month for my cards. Your very loyal fan Scott.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink
David E Greep

I enjoyed looking up the prices back in 80s but most of all is finding out where the next baseball card show will be THANKS!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink
Caitlin Jennings

I love looking up the price and value of cards. I also like the grading services.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink
Roxanna Hokett

Looking up the many Rookie Cards that I collected as a kid and finding out that the values were well over $100 and higher.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink
Scott Hainline

Happy birthday Beckett. I’ve been collecting baseball cards since early childhood. Always love having the latest copy to search for treasures disguised as baseball cards. Thanks for the fun!!

Posted May 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
Abra

When I was in grade school, at about 10 years old, I would go over to my now boyfriend of 8 years house and show him all the cards I owned. He would help me look through them all and look them up in the price guide. We started that hobby nearly 20 years ago and we are now doing it for a living together and it is still just as fun and exciting as it was back then! :)

Posted May 21, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
Mike

My fondest memory is pricing my emmitt smiths in the early to mid 90s and watching the price go up up up and then COLLAPSE! LOL, But still to this day i have every single beckett I ever bought (50+) and still have all my Emmitts (300+ non doubles). I also remember submitting the altered “funny” cards to beckett when i was a kid and being soo upset mine was not picked! lol. These days i still use beckett but don’t buy the physical magazine anymore. Still collecting football cards

Posted May 21, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink
Larry Ferrell

My favorite was Beckett Basketball Issue #1. Finally a no nonsense way to price or at least see a way to determine price for basketball cards!! Thanks for the memories.

Posted May 21, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink
Nick

Getting Becket every month in the 90′s looking to see if my cards went up !!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink
Greg Lou Gehrig

I always enjoy buying Lou Gehrig baseball cards, because he is my grandfather’s 2nd cousin.
I enjoy most in finding 2000 rookie Bobby Myers football cards, because Bobby plays flag football with my friends and myself in Madison WI.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink
Scott Mathis

In 1989 I started collecting cards. I got 5 packs of 1989 Donruss and have been collecting ever since. I enjoyed getting my Beckett to look up the pricing of my cards. I enjoyed flipping through the pages to see what my favorite cards were worth.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink
Mike Baker

Loved when the yearly book came out.. So excited to see all the cards and prices.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink
Richard Shoemaker

I started buying collections (literally walking the streets knocking on doors) in 1977. I soon had over 100,000 cards but little knowledge of grading, rarity, etc. When I started selling at shows it was all word of mouth as to value. Only after Beckett did those of use who were newer understand rarity (series, errors, etc.).

Collecting for the cards themselves was always fun but understanding the grading and the rarity of various cards added to the excitement. For a period of time (1980s), collecting became the everyday man’s stock market.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink
Bill Findler

Getting a card this year from Beckett graded Pristine 10…and every subgrade was a 10! Never seen that before.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink
Richard Hogenson

Going to the Sports Card Shop every month and buying the Beckett Baseball Card Monthly.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink
Steve Lemke

Babe Ruth cards were my favorite! His cards are very valuable. And football quarterback Rick Mirer is another player I collect, too. I met him in an airport once. What a nice guy!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink
Bob Simpson

My favorite was the Beckett Football #1 with Bo Jackson on the cover. Me and my friends raced to the hobby shop to get a copy. Happy 30th!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink
BoysOf Summer

memories about Beckett: In 1979 I first introduced my 6 yr old Son to cards and Card Shows. He had attended games and watched on TV with me. I am pretty sure that I met Dr Beckett at one show early on 79-80-81. I still have a Becket authored price guide #1 Sport Americana Football and Basketball Guide that Becket published in 1979. purchased a number of the early issued guides in early 80s, then disposed of them more than a decade ago.
Still have a large number of my Vintage sets from the 1950s.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink
Tony Orlando

As a kid collecting in the 80′s waiting for the new Beckett to come out and look for the upward black arrows. Having your cards go up in value was like Christmas. I’ll never forget the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire Olympic Card going from $20 to $175!!! Thanks for the memories.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink
Kurt.

Looking forward to the magazine each month. Who is on the cover? An interesting story. And of course the greedy of those little up arrows and the sadness of the down arrows.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink
Ron Stahl

Providing quality grading and pricing services for my entire lifetime!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink
John Watson

My best memories of Beckett is obtaining the first price guides for football and hockey to assist with my collecting and to give my football and hockey card collecting more credibility when going to the first card shows where most every “dealer” gave you a look of amusment for asking about those cards when all their inventory was virtually all baseball.

I also won years back a Jim Brown Cleveland retro-jersey from Beckett that still hangs in my closet. I was invited back then to send a picture of myself wearing the jersy for publication consideration. I never did. Is the offer still good?

Thanks for everything you have done to promote the Hobby. john.watson@freshfromflorida.com

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink
Derek Frank

As a die-hard Bo Jackson fanatic, I collected EVERYTHING that had to do with him. Well, I spent so much time at my local card shop, that I got a call one morning before school. It was from the card shop owner, and he had something special that arrived. I still had to attend school, so I was a little more than antsy when the bell rang. I rode my bike to the shop as fast as I could, and there on the rack was the June 1990 Beckett Baseball, with none other than Bo Jackson on the cover. Not only was it Bo, but it was Bo with the football shoulder pads, and holding the bat across his massive shoulders. The same image that was featured on the 1990 Score football card. I went to my wallet to get the money, and he told me that it was his gift to me. Considering how much I spent in there as a 9 year old, he should have had Bo Jackson himself give me the Beckett! Other publications like Tuff Stuff just never had the great photography that Beckett had, or still offers today.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
Clint Minter

I started collecting basketball cards in the early 90s and couldn’t wait for the new Beckett price guide to come out every month – especially loved when either Shaq (my first big rookie I collected) or Jordan graced the cover.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
Greg Huff

I eagerly awaited the newest copy of Beckett Baseball Monthly to see if my favorite player (Don Mattingly) was featured on either cover. Also, when Beckett went to a full 12 month distribution schedule (instead of combining winter months) would have to be my second favorite memory.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
John Wunderlich

Over the past 35 years I’ve been collecting cards from all 4 major sports and having your price guide helped give some perspective to the value of my collection. However, something was missing until the Hockey issues became available. My favorite being the #1 Issue with The Great One on the cover. It is displayed on my wall.
Thanks Beckett

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink
Paul Gordon

My favorite Beckett memory is a recent one. My 11-year-old son routinely reads my old 1980′s copies of Beckett from cover to cover, the same way I did when they were new. Although his pricing information may be out of date, the kid knows more about baseball players from my childhood than I do!

Compelling writing combined with the excitement of the treasure hunt is timeless fun. Thanks for the great product!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink
Redwings1997

Without a doubt, my fondest memories of Beckett are from when a friend referred me to your magazine in, I believe, 1990. I was in middle school and I was using a magazine called “Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly”, by Sports Collectors Digest. I realized that the card shops and dealers at card shows were using Beckett, and figured I should probably do the same. It didn’t hurt that Beckett had beautiful cover photos, both front and back. I believe the first Beckett Baseball I ever purchased was the August 1990 edition with Rickey Henderson on the cover (don’t quote me on that, I still have it, just in a box somewhere). Once I opened it up, the most exciting thing for me to see were the up arrows (I wasn’t nearly as excited about the down lol), but every month, the anticipation would kill me, as I would pull a “big money” card (look up a John Olerud 90′ Upper Deck RC from then) and not be able to price it until my local card shop had the newest Beckett available. Beckett should look into doing a cover like the old days maybe once a year, completely clean of any wording trying to sell the magazine, just a nice clean, crisp cover with an awesome photo…I’m just sayin’. All in all, some of my favorite memories as a pre-teen involve a Beckett, my friends, and my favorite baseball card shop

Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
Scott Coish

I loved everything especially the 4 pictures on the covers. Reading the articles about players and the hobby, the hot list, looking at the price changes, readers write questions and the card picture section where you could at captions to the pictures, those were cool as a kid. I miss those articles and the harder covers with those great covers esp the painted or sketched ones. Thanks for all the great memories beckett.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink
Tim

Back in 1996/1997 (somewhere in there) I was featured in a Beckett Basketball issue in the section where they would list your address and trade preferences. For months, maybe even a year after that I was getting tons of trade offers through the mail, also so many amazing collectors sent me free items. It was a great experience and really worked to get me more involved in the hobby.

Happy 30th Beckett!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Patrick Shetterly

Going to a card show to get my new copy of the Beckett to check out the new cards and prices.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I am a sixty-seven year old grandmother who grew up loving baseball and collecting baseball cards. I have shared that love with three sons and now six grandsons. My greatest Becket memories are sorting through hundreds of baseball cards and looking for gems with my grandsons! We always have used the Becket guides and occasionally have jumped for joy when we finally found a card of value. Really though these cards will always just be “our” cards , valuable or not, because they and the art of collecting has brought our family so many hours of pure joy! Thank you Becket!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
Bill Krellner

I enjoyed all the monthly magazines. Back several years I really enjoyed the auto racing edition you put out monthly. The amount of cards produced now and the increased prices makes it very difficult for young people to enjoy the hobby.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
Dalton Jacobsen

My favorite memory of Beckett was watching my Aaron Rodgers collection turn into a pile if gold:)

Posted May 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink
Patrick McCollough

I remember when 1992 Bowman came out and the cards were not initially popular but a small time later the card picked up a lot of steam. I remember going to Roses and seeing a dump bin with packs of 1992 Bowman so I bought a pack for $2.00. I was so happy I found a Travis Fryman card worth $2.00 and a Jason Bere Rc that hit as high as $12.00. Those were the days lol.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink
Mike Lindert

I coached my sons youth teams and as I was in the Navy, we started collecting baseball cards. We then started collecting Beckets and it just cemented s strong father-son bond. The art work was just so impressive! We looked up card values together, but loved and appreciated the art work!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink
Rob Mazetta

I still have my first edition of Beckett baseball when I started to collect as a teenager back in the early 90s. I still flip through it from time to time looking back at the prices and the articles and such. I have some paper fold outs of cards I had and the prices marked down for each. When I had a card that was $1.00, I was enthralled as can be. Wow how things have changed in 20+ years.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink
Shannon

I always looked forward to the annual guides. What better way to verify checklists and see all the variety of cards for each given year and manufacturer. The articles and cover stories on the monthly mags are always entertaining

GO HABS!!!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
Tom Van Winkle

I enjoy reading most of the articles but especially those that give additional insight into card sets, errors, etc. Thanks Beckett. Happy 30th!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
Jeff Pelischek

My fondest Beckett memories are from 1985-1992 when my brother Greg had a ball card shop in Salina, Kansas.
We would grab the appropriate price guide after the shop closed for business during the day, lock the doors, and gamble with early wax boxes. We would take a, say 1980 Topps wax box, divide the packs between the four of us, and, each of us would lay out the first three cards. Using the Beckett, the person who’s third card booked the highest, took all. The winning card had to book at a 25 cent mimimum! If there was as tie, play continued. I recall one hand had two 1980 Henderson rookies out, but neither was the third card. I can’t remember what card won the hand, but it wasn’t mine, and I felt like I had just lost 1000. at the craps table! Beckett Price Guide made that game among the greatest family and sports memories of my entire life! Thank you, Beckett:)

Posted May 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
Timothy Tromotola

I remember back to 1984 seeing the Beckett magazines! I started to buy them myself in 1985 and I have kept most of them to this day! I alwYs thought as a kid they would be great for autographs. I have only got 3 Beckett covers ever autographed but the stories of all 3 will never be forgotten!! 1st cover I ever got autographed was Vince Carter in his USA jersey, he was at the pinnacle of basketball stardom then, now just a guy who could dunk! 2nd cover was Kevin Durant’s 1st basketball cover at the Sonics vs Bulls in Durant’s 1dt trip to the United Center too! He signed both copies for me after the game. The Bulls won that game but Durant’s scored about 20 points in the game. The last Beckett cover I got autographed was from Adrian Peterson just after his ROY year and MVP game in the Pro Bowl. March of 2008. Adrian Peterson signed all 5 copies I had!! 3 in black & 2 in blue, all have his FULL Adrian Peterson with the “28″ at the end!!
I will always keep my older Beckett magazines because you never know when a certain player will be available or in your town for a possible autograph!
Thanks Beckett keep up the great work you’ve done the first 30 years!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink
Jason Gillam

I still have every Beckett Magazine from the mid 80′s until today that I have ever bought. It’s still exciting to see who’s on the cover, check out the stories and most importantly check out who was going up or down. Thanks for thirty years of memories!

Posted May 22, 2014 at 9:20 pm | Permalink
brandon

I remember getting those cards worth a couple dollars and to a 6 or 7 year old it was like hitting the lottery

Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

My favorite memories are when I was young and my Dad would surprise my brother and I with issues of Beckett. I would always look immediately at how much my Rickey Henderson 1980 Topps Rookie was worth this month, followed by looking at how much my 1961 Topps and 1965 Topps Whitey Ford cards were worth. In fact, I STILL look forward to looking those three cards up every month!

Posted May 23, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink
Travis

My favorite memory of Beckett (surprisingly) wasn’t when I was featured in the Art Issue last year. It was a huge honor, but my fondest memory is all the times I went through every set put a check mark next to the card I would most want. I recently found a stash of my old Becketts. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had managed to acquire a substantial chunk of the cards I dreamed of owning 25+ years ago.

I still enjoy making the same check marks in each new issue.

Keep up the great work!

Posted May 23, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink
Tyler Merritt

When I was about 8, my father was looking through his old baseball cards, most of them 60′s Topps from his childhood (lucky his mom never threw them out), and I walked over and, being curious me, watched him. After a few minutes he noticed me, and let me go through the cards with him, pricing them and mainly just seeing what he had. I loved looking at the little “comic” on the back of some of the cards. That was my first Beckett moment, and the one that got me into card collecting.

Posted May 23, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink
Troy N

My first beckett was the 1987 December issue with Kirby Puckett on the front. I was 8 years old at the time, and I still have my copy. As a kid with an active imagination, I used to pretend that I could have anything I touched. So I used to pretend that by touching a picture of a card in Beckett, that I could actually have the card… then I would look up the value of each card pictured in Beckett, and add up the value of all my imaginary cards on paper (it was the early 90s after all). Later in High School, I excelled in math, and I can’t help but wonder if this imaginative game I played with my Becketts laid the foundation for my math skills.

I never did get all those old and expensive cards, but today I do have a nice collection of team-set cards from my favourite teams – the Red Sox and Oilers.

Some of my favourite Becketts include the 3rd hockey issue with Yzerman on the front, the issue with Lindros as a junior champion, and the 92 Penguins championship cover.

Baseball-wise, the June 1990 issue with Bo Jackson on the front was a must-have, and issue #100 with Jackie Robinson. As a Red Sox, fan, I became a big Aaron Sele fan when he started his career off undefeated, so the October 1993 Future Stars issue was a big favourite of mine.

I didn’t collect much basketball, but I’ve still got the September 1991 issue #14 with Michael Jordan kissing the trophy!

So many memories… and hours spent pouring over those price guides :)

Posted May 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink
len ross

I have owned two stores for over 20 years and since the advent of companies like PSA and others …all I tell my clients that trust and honesty is the first and only way to follow… my suggestion and only direction to follow, I told them to follow was Beckett.
Thank you for your service to the public and the integrity over the years.

lee ross

Posted May 24, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink
Mark P.

Who is going to be on next cover? And even the back cover at that! Plus, Looking at that ’81 Montana Rookie going up, and up, and up……..exciting stuff.

Posted May 25, 2014 at 8:10 am | Permalink
Ian B.

My memory is a bitter sweet one. I can remember seeing the first NHL Beckett magazine ever featuring Wayne Gretzky on the cover that my cousin had recently purchased. I opened it up and felt warmth all over as I realized that so many cards I had were worth a fair amount of money (which was a fortune when your 12yrs old!), then my heart quickly shattered as I quickly remembered that my friends and I trashed those cards by lining them up against a wall and trying to knock them down by throwing other cards like miniature frisbies in an attempt to win any and all cards we could by knocking them down against the wall during recess and lunch breaks at our elementary school lol. Yep, I can still see all the Brett Hull and Brendan Shanahan rookies floating through the air in slow motion and then…BAM against a wall they hit, those corners bending in on impact lol. At almost 40 yrs old I still think about the goodies I creamed back in those days…good times though!

Posted May 25, 2014 at 8:13 am | Permalink
Mike Thoms

My best memory is when I “wallpapered” a room in my basement with Beckett Baseball Price Guides.

Posted May 25, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I have two great memories of Beckett. The first is when I heard Beckett was coming out with the eagerly anticipated Football Beckett price guide with Bo Jackson on the cover. The second memory was purchasing the little Football Beckett Book from the book store each year. Does Beckett even make that book anymore?

Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:14 am | Permalink
Greg Tranter

When my son was a teenager, we did card shows together and it really taught him responsibility, how to be organized, how to negotiate and how to deal with adults. It really helped him mature into an outstanding adult. It was a great growth experience for him and it enabled us to have a good relationship throughout his teenage years. He was always paging through the Beckett price guides to ensure he was making the right deal. He was always enthralled with the great photos on the front and back of the monthly price guides. It led him to collect the first 50 Beckett football monthly price guides and today he has each of the first 50 autographed with the player on the cover photo. He has them all framed and hanging in his man cave/sports room of his home!

Posted May 26, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I have always had trouble waiting for the next beckett to come out so that I could find out if my cards went up or down in price so I could know what to pay for singles of my favorite Denver Broncos & Boston Red Sox players. I remember a guy wanted the Bo cover on the beckett i was holding. he offered 3X the cover price but I still have the whole thing.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink
andy

It was around the mid 90′s and I was going through my cards and I had found a card that was worth $20.It was a fleer ultra “rbi kings” of Barry Bonds.i was about 14 or 15 years old at the the time and was so excited.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink
Samuel Delsol

Collecting graded sports cards has been a time honored tradition for decades in My family. and it remains an exciting and rewarding sentimental value for all of us. My first card was received by my grandfather who past it down to me whom I will save it for my child. We love Beckett because of the quality and superb service that they provide when grading these card, which hold the potential for building a monetary investment that will potentially reward the buyer or the inheritor of a collection.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink
Trevor

I remember poring over the Beckett with my friends, looking for ERR cards we had and trying to find out what the ERR was. It added a new dimension to the hobby for me.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:35 am | Permalink
kevin jones

my best memories were the first time i had to look up 82 donruss diamond kings. i found out who did the art and the values. wow that was 20 somethings years ! i must say i did enjoy the articles as much as the general idea of values that were provided.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink
Ryan Fedor

Happy 30 years Beckett!
My best Beckett memories were waiting and trying to guess who would be on the baseball guide cover when it came in the mail. My father, brother and I would always fight over who who get to look up their cards first so we decided to do the guess the cover contest for first look rights!

Posted May 26, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink
henry abut

After collecting cards as a kid and having given away in shoe boxes thousands of cards, that today would have been worth thousands of dollars. Its very exciting too see my kids collecting cards and getting them graded by such a great company like beckett. The trust that I have with beckett I cant say I have with psa.Wishing you another great and fun 30 years. keep up the good work. Thank you henry.

Posted May 26, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink
Allen Myers

My first look at the magazine in 1989 jut after I started to collect cards again. What a great product the list of cards and the values blew me away. After that I started putting my collection on a PC, but unfortunately when going to a newer PC my online collection was lost except for a few sets that I had saved to a disk. Lost the time to continue my collecting in the mid nineties with career and family responsibilities but now I’m retired and have just rediscovered Beckett online this year and am trying to put my massive collection up there.
Thank Beckett for all the memories.

Posted May 27, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink
Greg Lou Gehrig

I enjoy buying Lou Gehrig baseball cards, because the Iron Horse is my grandfather’s 2nd cousin. I also enjoy buying football Bobby Myers cards, because he plays flag football with me in Madison WI.

Posted May 28, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink
Greg Lou Gehrig

I also enjoy buying Bobby Myers football cards, because he plays flag football with myself in Madison WI.

Posted May 28, 2014 at 8:08 am | Permalink
Ed Sweeney

I started collecting cards as a kid in the late 80′s. My mom was collecting with me and she would take me every month to the card store to get the new Beckett. Beckett was the source for all things cards and I couldn’t wait each month to see if my cards went up in value or which new cards were worth the most. I still have several of my old Becketts as well as the first issues of the football, hockey and basketball. Fond memories of going with my mom every month was the best part though. :)

Posted May 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
Greg Lou Gehrig

I enjoy buying Lou Gehrig baseball cards, because the Iron Horse was my grandfather’s 2nd cousin.
I also enjoy buying Bobby Myers football cards, because Bobby plays flag football with me in Madison WI.

Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink