What is the best football Rookie Card of all-time?

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Football cards have featured different designs over the years. We have seen colorful cards, simple ones, tall boys. We have collected Rookie Cards with memorabilia, autographs, and short-prints that were hard to chase.

But one thing never changed – no matter what year, the player made the card.

Here’s a list of some of the most iconic football Rookie Cards throughout the decades. Check out these cards and let us know your favorites in the poll below.

1933 Sport Kings #4 Red Grange

1991 Stadium Club #94 Brett Favre

1998 SP Authentic #14 /2000 Peyton Manning

2000 Playoff Contenders #144 Tom Brady

2005 SP Authentic #252 /99 Aaron Rodgers

2007 Exquisite Collection #133 /99 Adrian Peterson

2012 Panini National Treasures #301 /99 Andrew Luck

What are the best football Rookies cards of all-time (pick up to five cards)?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor at Beckett Media. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Mark

1962 Topps Fran Tarkenton

Posted April 29, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink
Joseph

Tom Brady’s contenders RC on card auto! A true beauty!

Posted April 29, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink
Jason K

Had to go with ’65 Topps Joe Namath. I don’t collect football (as a matter of fact, I REALLY dislike football)… But, even I knew this iconic card.

Posted April 29, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink
Richard

How can you have a list like this without Bronko Nagurski?

Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink
Steve Wight

Bo knows football!!! Bo Jackson of coarse could be another I’d definetly pick!!

Posted April 29, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink
tom waldron

I have to say although not a nfl card Nagurski is one I’d love to have and Red Grange Jim Thorpe slinging Sammy baugh -only qb to have over 300 yrd and 3 interceptions I believe.
Sometimes we forget so I’m glad to see this perhaps we r headed for a vintage Beckett sports monthy guide theme here.How bought some love for the Snake -Ken Stabler .
I’m loking to go back in time and begin my collection aknew with vintage in Fb bb and bsktbl.
Sorry but the new kids Like Luck and others will have to wait to make the list.
just saying…Tw

Posted April 29, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink
Larry

It is BARRY SANDERS score Rookie of course. Hands down!

Posted April 29, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink
Larry

It is BARRY SANDERS score Rookie of course. Hands down without a second thought!!!!

Posted April 29, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Permalink
Cardfan

Not including the Naguski chicle is a big miss on this
List… That’s the 2nd best card in the hobby (behind the Dunlop mayo) which I have 2 of

Posted April 30, 2014 at 12:51 am | Permalink
J

1989 score Deion Sanders

Posted April 30, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink
michael taylor

I’d like to give some consideration to the Ray Lewis 1996 Bowman’s Best RC.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink
Bodie

barry sanders 89 score, that set changed the industry and that is the most coveted card in there

Posted April 30, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink
upsheez

What about…

1966 Philadelphia #38 Gale Sayers RC
1972 Topps #200 Roger Staubach RC

Tough to put 86 Young, 79 Campbell and 70 OJ before those two!

Posted April 30, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink
chrisolds

I voted 1965 Namath — it’s easily king if you ask me.

One I would have considered would have been the 1955 Topps All-American of the Four Horsemen, though Namath still trumps it easily.

Posted April 30, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink
J.R.

I just can’t vote for Namath because of how OVERRATED of a player he is. Yes, he is responsible for one of the benchmark moments in NFL history, but he was a better pop culture icon than a football player. My top 5 were all in the top 6. Thorpe, Unitas, Brown, Payton, Montana… and I wasn’t born before any of the cards came out.

My #1 is the Montana RC, because to me, it ushered in modern collecting. It’s the first great modern football RC.

Had Bo’s RC been on the list, I might have had to have left off one of the others…

Posted April 30, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
Rick

1989 SCORE BARRY SANDERS, HANDS DOWN!

Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
Rick

I would have to comment that leave the Campbell off and add the 89 Score Aikman.

Posted May 1, 2014 at 8:46 pm | Permalink
Brian Huntington

I love this list of great (and highly coveted) cards. My personal favorite RC, not on this list, is the ’78 Topps #315 Tony Dorsett.

Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Barry Sanders…my friend Anne Flaven started score -after sportsflicks – she also made cracker jack toys – I was responsible for all cracker jack prizes – find a better reason….you can’t

Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
John Watso.

Any rookie card from any player who only had a single card like Ernie Davis, Brian Piccolo, Pat Tillman who had their life ended much too soon.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Permalink
Bill Krellner

I think the 1965 Joe Namath rookie card is the best rookie card of all time. The large size was rather unique.

Posted May 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink