Posted on April 16, 2014 – 2:14 pm | Author: chrisolds
Baseball, Basketball, Beckett 20 Questions, Football, Hockey | 1991 Topps Desert Storm, 20 Questions, Air Force, Army, Bill Clinton, Camo parallels, Coast Guard, Dan Hinote, Heisman Trophy, Hobey Baker, Joe DiMaggio, Leaf Trading Cards, Marines, National Guard, Navy, Panini America, Pat Tillman, Presidential memorabilia, press pass, Pro Set, Roy Gleason, Sgt. Slaughter, Ted Williams, Topps, Topps Bunt, TRISTAR, TRISTAR Obak, Upper Deck | Comments (0)
By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor
Plenty of metaphors and cliches get tossed around when it comes to the sports world, and many of them parallel military action — referring to our pastimes as battles, combat and so much more.
For some players on the field in the past and present, the comparisons might be ironic as there are many sports stars who also served in the military or have military ties of some sort. There are far more out there than Pat Tillman, Roger Staubach or David Robinson. We see it on our cardboard and collectibles from time to time — enough that we’ve opted to dedicate an entire issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly to exploring what’s out there for the niche and one that those collectors serving in the military might find interesting, too.
Heck, even virtual collectibles like Topps‘ Bunt cards found in virtual packs on its popular app have military subsets. There, it’s a 10-card Hall of Fame Heroes set that notes Hall of Famers’ military service, including Marine fighter pilot Ted Williams. It seems the military nods — whether its camo parallels or cards from military backed athletes or events — are everywhere.
As part of the issue, we want to hear what you think of a few things when it comes to creative cards and more with a new set of 20 Questions … after the jump.
1. Do you own any 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards? (They were specially made for troops.)
2. How many Heisman Trophy winners have there been from U.S. military academies?
3. Do the Camo parallel cards made by a few card companies interest you?
4. There's been just one MLB player from West Point. Cole White was a recent draftee by which team?
5. Do patch cards from military or other specialty jerseys interest you more than standard ones?
6. How many seasons did Joe DiMaggio miss serving in the U.S. Army?
7. True or false: Steelers star Rocky Bleier had a Purple Heart before he had a Super Bowl ring.
8. Panini created four cut auto/uniform star cards of Dwight Eisenhower in what year?
9. Which of the following is not true about Roy Gleason?
10. Former NHL player and current Columbus assistant coach Dan Hinote played for which academy?
11. In NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series, who drives the National Guard-sponsored car?
12. Which former NFL quarterback appears on this TRISTAR Obak card?
13. Do you own any cards from the non-sports sets made for Operation Desert Storm?
14. Do you feel cards of the Commander in Chief are a good fit in sports sets?
15. Would former pro wrestler and Marine Sgt. Slaughter make your military card collection?
16. Which of these statements is not true about hockey star Hobey Baker?
17. In 2011, Press Pass Stealth was one "for those who serve and collect." Grade this concept.
18. Do you own any cards from the U.S. Army All-American Bowl sets?
19. Have you collected any of the various non-sports military memorabilia cards found in past sets?
20. Which military branch of the Armed Forces do you feel is best?
Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.
Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *