Topps confirms origin of 2013 Kyle Kendrick error card

KendrickERR

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

For the last few months, a few baseball card collectors have found an unusual 2013 Topps card of Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Kyle Kendrick.

Graphic designers know how a mistake like this happened — simply put, the image wasn’t shrunken to fit the frame of the card. On Monday, Topps confirmed its existence as a legit card printed by the company and shed a little light on the card’s origin we prepared our Errors & Variations issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly.

KendrickNormal

Topps’ Director of Product Development Clay Luraschi said the Kendrick card, which was in Series 1, was an error found during the print run for the 2013 Topps factory sets released in the second half of last year.

“It is an extremely rare error card that is found only in complete sets,” Luraschi said. “It was due to an image processing error. The error was found very early in the printing, removed and corrected.”

In recent months, the error card has sold for as much as $76 in online auctions, while the standard card of the veteran is mere pocket change.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

David Johnson

Nice to know that they aren’t in every factory set. I can only imagine how much this would be selling for if it was of Derek Jeter or some other big name player.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink
Matt

Why would anybody want a card with an enlarged picture of a ballplayer’s crotch?

Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

It wasn’t made on purpose and was fixed. Because it was fixed and is rarer, there is a certain amount of added demand for it from those who want to have all cards from a release.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Here’s my issue: the card was printed correctly when released in packs of Topps Series One. Just how exactly did the “error” creep into the factory sets — which were printed after Series One was released. Maybe I’m a little jaded from years of other Topps marketing stunts (remember the Jeter card with Mantle in the dugout and Bush in the stands?), but I find it *very* hard to believe that this was a simple error as the Topps spokesperson would have us believe.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Matt: The factory sets are printed months after the first series. And, consider that it’s a Kyle Kendrick card …

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

So that fact that it’s not a star makes it less suspicious? There’s still the issue of how this error slipped in suddenly — in other words, how exactly does a card that was printed previously with no problems develop an error? What specifically happened between the initial printing and the factory set printing that allowed the error to appear? I assume that Topps saves the electronic files from the original print run — so, in theory, unless somebody went into the file and made alterations after the original printing, the file should have been exactly the same as it was in the original printing when Topps pulled it and used it again to create plates for the factory sets. An explanation from Topps as to how the “error” took place (or might have taken place) would’ve been nice to read.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink
Richard

Meh.
I’d hardly consider this “rare”. Let’s pretend that “only” 99 were made, I’m sure there are
lots more than that. He has cards serial #’d to that, that sell for maybe $1 or so.
Sold on hype, pure and simple.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

I do wonder after all Topps is living off of the ERR cards and SP var but again it’s Kyle Kendrick not Jeter or Puig.
As opposed to the Goodwin champs mini Dylan Bundy which was a contract Issue I think and less than 5 were supposedly inserted. Chris you can correct me there. and Nothing like the Cut-out Gordonc cards which I do belive was intended by Topps.
Intresting story might drive a few people to buy a set or 2.

Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink
phillies_joe

If someone wants to give me one, I’d take it for my Phillies collection. Wouldn’t pay for it though……

Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink
Jason K

Who opens factory sets? The only factory set I ever opened was an old Score baseball set from the 90’s that I purchased from eBay… And I only opened it because the seal was already gone.

Another question…

There was an error in 2012 it was Rod Barajas (cards #391 and #395 one had a “flipped” back). Was that fixed when the factory set was produced?

Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Jason K … I open factory sets, much like thousands of other “true” collectors. I get a Topps factory set every year, open it and enjoy it. Why would you NOT open it? Just to enjoy looking at a box wrapped in plastic?

Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink
Matt

Jason K- As Paul said, all true collectors open factory sets. That means you like the set for the cards, you’re not just worried about preserving value. That’s the biggest problem with the hobby today, too many people are in it just to try and make a quick buck

Posted March 5, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
Jason K

I enjoy the hand collated set I put together every year, and keep the factory set in the box. True collectors put together sets themselves rather than having all of the fun of tracking down those last couple cards you need for your set taken away. If I were trying to make a quick buck, I would be the worst at it ever (just ask my wife about the amount I spend vs. the amount I bring in from baseball cards).

Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Jason K-As Paul and Matt said, all true collectors open factory sets. I get a complete factory set every year and can’t wait to bust it open, pull the stars out and insert them into their new homes in binders for all the different players I collect. I like the bonus cards that come with the factory sets too. You can’t enjoy it if you don’t open it. That’s like sitting on an opened pack. Why buy it in the first place if you don’t plan to enjoy it?

Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink
Paul Angilly

Jason K … There are also many of us true collectors who can’t afford to piece together sets out of boxes, or who (like me) like to get the bonus cards inserted into factory sets. Why would you buy a factory set that you have no intention of opening, especially if you already have a hand-collated set, unless you hope to sell it for a profit some day?

Posted March 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink
Zali

I open up a factory set last week, and I find a card of someone’s crotch. How the heck did that happen?

Posted September 13, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink
Ed

I just found an error card in the 2014 Topps finest football. My question is there a website to find our if it is a common error or a rare one? I also have other error cards that I can’t find any information on or others like it. Where can I go to find out more info on errors? Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted September 19, 2014 at 2:15 am | Permalink