In The Game teases a potential “replacement for sticker autos”

ITG-Ripken

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Most card companies know that sticker autographs aren’t a preference for many collectors but the deadlines of card production and busy millionaires’ lives don’t often mesh.

But In The Game may have an alternative to stickers coming in its next baseball product, which owner Brian Price teased on Monday.

ITG called it a ” three-piece autograph card that almost seamlessly integrates the autograph into the card itself.”

ITGortiz

The product will be 2013 ITG Past, Present and Future and it’s slated to arrive sometime in March with the new type of autographs — and no redemptions — in tow.

“Once collectors are able to see and touch these cards for themselves, they can ultimately decide whether or not they can be considered as hard-signed or not. We are not going to make that designation for them,” Price wrote on his blog. “The reality is that the athlete will be signing a portion of the card directly and it will feel like any other hard-signed trading card. It will be interesting to hear what collectors will be saying and how the market will react.”

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

CoffeyFan1

I can’t wait, maybe topps will take a hint and do the same.

Posted February 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink
David Brewer

I dont get it. Its pretty much the same as a sticker auto, the athlete signed the sticker and they put it on the card. They signed a portion of a card and stick it in the card. Same thing to me. I personally like the sticker autos from Topps with the hologram that says Topps, I think it makes the card look cooler.

Posted February 17, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

I like the idea, cards can be printed on the companies schedules, athletes can sign the insert on their schedule and the collectors get an on-card autograph (of sorts). It seems like everyone wins. Plus with the inserts being larger that stickers, hopefully the players will take the hint and use the entire space to sign a larger and “Prettier” signature instead of the standard initials with a swoop type autographs we see so often now.

Posted February 17, 2014 at 11:59 pm | Permalink
Ed

Now this is what I like to see…a company trying to solve a problem with some innovation.
We’ll see how the final product comes out….the effort is Greatly appreciated.

Peace

Posted February 18, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink
Tim

WOW!!!! Totally awesome solution that failed in 2005 Exquisite Football!

Posted February 18, 2014 at 5:46 am | Permalink

What I don’t understand is, why don’t companies have athletes sign card sized stickers and/or clear acetate that they can lay over the entire card?

Posted February 18, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink
Corey

Are they allowed to use logos, the cal has the bird on his helmet? Just wondering

Posted February 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
Jason K

If I’m understanding this correctly, it kinda looks like a cut sig. Or, perhaps like what Sanders was saying above (about a clear piece of acetate). Either way, I’m glad somebody is working to fix something that most collectors dislike (and thinking outside the box). I was also going to ask the same question Corey asked about MLB licensing. Perhaps, the logos are blurred (I’ve seen some cards that use this to a fairly good effect).

Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink
Richard

The problem with stickers, for me, came to a head when Topps took a sticker and slapped in on a
piece Jersey and said it was a signed Jersey. It sounds like they are doing something akin to a cut,
which is certainly better than a sticker, but not as good as a direct sign.

I’d hesitate to call it innovative since there have been many multi-part cards over the years, including
those where the auto slides out for better examination, or the little mini card you could break up that
had 4 of the same autos on it so you can use them to “upgrade” the cards w/o the auto by breaking one
off and inserting it.

The problem with stickers for many is the fear of what will happen to the autograph long term.
The sticker might peel or the like, while on card autographs have been known to last decades.
Sometime in the future we might know one way or the other. Kind of like when I looked at my
92 Ultra cards only to see they had turned into a brick instead of staying separate cards.
They were worthless anyways, but still it was annoying.

Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink
Matt

So you’re trying to solve the sticker problem by using….bigger stickers. Don’t get me wrong, these look better than others, but you can’t claim to have solved the problem in the slightest, because you are still using stickers (and they’re even bigger!)

Posted February 19, 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink
Ben

They aren’t using stickers. It sounds like they’re printing the front of the card and die-cutting out a portion of it to get signed. After they get that piece signed they take the three pieces of the card (two front parts and the back half) and put it back together to create the final product.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through but I don’t know what kind of problems ITG has getting their autograph subjects to sign in a timely manner. At least there’s no worries about crooked stickers. Still have to worry about autos going off the assigned space though.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
Jeff Holt

I get it, Wasn’t this done in 2005 with Exquisite Football? Apparently that was a bust. I think there would be a consistency of quality and security against fraud that stickers don’t possess.
Go for it…