Card Gallery: Diamond Kings return in 2014 Donruss — as do other inserts + vote for your favorites

panini-america-2014-donruss-baseball-diamond-kings-3

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

When the newest incarnation of Donruss returns to the baseball card field later this month, it will be the first in several years and the first baseball set under the brand name for Panini America.

Among the inclusions in the late-February arrival will be Diamond Kings along with a few other inserts that one might remember from the past — Team MVPs (a la 1989 Donruss) and Studio. While Panini teased full galleries of each online, here is a teaser for the MVPs and Studio along with a full look at the Kings, which have a design reminiscent of 1984 Donruss.

Your Turn: Vote for the insert(s) you like best -- vote for as many as three

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Ben

Awful. I see what they’re aiming for but running a couple of photos through a filter and mashing them together doesn’t equal Diamond Kings to me. There’s no originality or art to that at all. Just more tacky looking garbage aping the past.

Posted February 9, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
kris buonocore

looking forward to this

Posted February 9, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink
charles H

I don’t buy anything panini puts out baseball related.NO LOGO NO SALE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink
deeeez

team mvps with out logos …… winning

Posted February 10, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink
joe

no license no logos equals garbage

Posted February 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
Jason K

Let’s skip all of the logo comments. We get it, Panini doesn’t have a license and won’t for he foreseeable future. Let’s talk about things that Panini CAN control.

First, I know I’m not alone in saying no real artwork = No Diamond Kings. It doesn’t have to be Dick Perez (although it would be nice), but it DOES have to be actual artwork, not a photoshop effect.

Second, I’m not sure I understand the MVP concept. These are team MVPs from, when, exactly? I’m seeing retired and traded players… AND multiple players for some teams. That’s confusing. ’89 Donruss had the team MVPs from ’88. This just seems like a mish-mosh of players that they think will help sell their product.

Finally, the Studio inserts look GREAT! The only problem I have with them is that a couple of them REALLY don’t look like studio photographs (Yadi, Papi, and Kershaw). They look like shots from the ballpark with the background cropped out, then changed from color to black & white. The whole idea of Studio is to have portraits of the players, not action photos. This is especially disappointing, because Panini should do Studio REALLY WELL considering their licensing restrictions.

(These comments are based on the photos on Panini website referenced in the article).

Posted February 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
Tyler

If I’m not mistaken, all of the “Team MVP” cards are of players that were league MVPs. Why call them Team MVP instead of just MVPs?

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink
Ed

I agree with Jason, all Logos aside, these look very cheap.

Panini just doesn’t get it, more junk with an overloaded (past and present) checklist does not interest me at all.
What is a shame is that they had it all laid out in front of them, and could not improve a previous product that would excite their clients. I guess Panini doesn’t have access to modern technology, and it is obvious to me that they spend little thought about there product and the clients they are trying to please….or Not!!

Peace

Posted February 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink
steve d donaldson

to all those who wont buy this or any other product due to it not having logos… please message me so I can give you my address for you to send me all your 92 Bowman Chippers and Marianos.

Posted February 11, 2014 at 7:32 am | Permalink
robert belenzon

Hi. I wouldn’t mind Donruss if its mission statement doesn’t change, as the low end of the product line, that would encourage kids to get into the hobby and sell at about a buck per pack. But, with two autos and relic, don’t see that happening!

Just more stuff that makes it that much harder to collect all your favorite player’s cards!
Bob

Posted February 11, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Ron S.

Embrace these card. Topps has a monopoly on Baseball cards which isn’t good for the collector. By the way how long do we have to wait for Topps redemptions. Need i say more, Buy more Panini and other cards other than Topps and make a statement.

Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink