A Back-in-the-Day Break + watch to win a box

Join Beckett Media analyst Justin Grunert as he rips into a box with a guest and talk about the good ol’ days of collecting in this Back-in-the-Day Break.

They’re opening a box of 2013 Topps Strata football cards, which was provided by Steel City Collectibles. They also provided a box to give away, so watch the video for details on how it can be yours.

Visit www.steelcitycollectibles.com and use promo code BKT5Off to receive $5 off any order of $50 or more.

Scot Van Asten

Great Segment! I hope you make Opening Wax With G Pa a weekly program. His perspective on where the hobby has been was very entertaining.

Posted February 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
Luke Santavicca

Loved this segment! G-Pa’s sweater is awesome! (Go Lions!)

My biggest card regret was selling a my friend a box of 2012 Museum Collection I won from my card shop for $5 less than they were sold for ($300) because he had no local card shop and loved the product. He opened it right in front of me and the box had a Mike Trout rookie auto /25 in it…..still to this day I have never been able to pick up a Mike Trout auto.

Posted February 19, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Permalink
steve emerick

Real easy. Busted flat needed money had a 57 mantle that was so sharp it would cut you and centered perfectly to the naked eye. Sold it for $150 to an air force guy from whiteman air force base. He had it graded and it was an 9.0 long before beckett had vintage grading. I don’t remember who the company was that did the grade though Think it was beckett but its been so long ago!

Wish I had never gotten rid of that card

Posted February 19, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink
George Perlinger

I once pulled a Michael Jordan/Julius Erving Dual Jersey card, sold it for $30.00 then watched the BV climb

Posted February 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Permalink
Kel

I remember those $10 packs of Finest and I could never afford them. I have never been able to afford them actually! But as a collector for over 30 years, I believe many of us have stories that are similar, maybe not cards left in the trunk though!

Nice segment and G’Pa is cool!

Posted February 19, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink
Mike Pereira

Really like hearing about collecting back in the day. Espicially before the overproduction of the 80s and 90s and soon coming 2010’s. Over production of autos is coming.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 4:34 am | Permalink
Mike Pereira

My biggest regret in the hobby not money wise was getting a baseball signed by Rodger Clemens before the game. Used the old ball in the milk carton method before the game into the redsox pitching pen. Was so pumped to get his auto. Being a little fatty I traded it away to the kid next to me for a ball and mini hat souvenir and an his ice cream sandwich that the group got. Not too mad about it now that I know that he was PEDs, but still it was the best pitcher in Red Sox history and I traded it away for an ice cream. But what kid can turn away an extra ice cream sandwich slightly melted on a hot day.MMMMMMM

Posted February 20, 2014 at 4:55 am | Permalink
Justin Grundle

This was … odd.

Posted February 20, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink
Diane

Enjoyed this. G-Pa..I’m a girl and I collect. Mu older brother got me into collecting 2 years ago (i am not 47!!) I wish I would have saved my cards from 35 years ago. I am a Detroit fan too!!!!!!

Posted February 20, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
Trevor G

Awesome video. Collecting to me is about friendship and memories and this video captures that perfectly.
Fortunately I dont have any horror stories about bad trades (growing up during the era of over production had a benefit I suppose). My biggest regret is that I stopped collecting completely for about 12 years instead of maybe buying a box a year like your Grandpas idea.

Thanks for the video

Posted February 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink
harynjk

I am not sure the regret would be the best world, since it wasn’t up to me, but at the end of 90’s the sport cards was disappeared from the hungarian stores, so i was forced to quit collecting, and i had to take a 12-13 years of pause. The first sport cards (mainly basketball cards) appeared in the middle of 90’s here in Hungary, and it was a very popular hobby, but soon this great buzz was over, and the stores didn’t ordered cards anymore.
Even now we have maybe 2 stores in the country what have a very limited selection of cards what you can buy, and the boxes are much more expensive then is US stores. Order from the US is also way to expensive because of the shipping and (price+shipping price) +30% tax. But at least it is possible to buy individual cards or lots from ebay, and sometimes you can find nice deals.

OK, one thing came to my mind now what i regret, once i found a seller on ebay who was selling many exquisite championship bling cards, and he was selling all the 3 David Robinson /35 cards too, and i bought only 2 of them, even thou the third wasn’t too expensive either, or at least i haven’t seen since any of those cards for that price.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink
Jason Taylor

When I was a kid, I once traded a 1956 Harmon Killebrew for a 1980 Burger King Pete Rose. Ouch!

Posted February 21, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
Christian Fisher

I enjoyed this video a lot, but cringed at the sad trunk story with the thrown away cards…My biggest regret was when I was in seventh grade, I think around 1988. I got this great idea with a friend of mine to buy candy from a wholesale place not far from my house and then resell it at school for a profit. We needed capital so I sold my baseball card collection, including my 1985 Topps Factory Set, 1987 Topps Factory Set, and a number of singles. I think I got around $75 – $100 dollars but don’t remember exactly how much. Our candy selling enterprise started going well until we got in trouble for it. As it turned out it was against the rules at school for students to sell candy. I kept collecting after that, but was always bummed that I had sold those cards.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
Chris

My biggest regret is really nothing. Sure it would be nice to have some cards back but I’m pretty happy with my collection and just enjoy the hobby. My Dad’s told me his story about his Mom throwing out all his baseball cards from the early 50’s, and yes he had all the good ones. He also didn’t play the games with them. You can wonder about it if you want but it’s just the way it was back then.

Posted February 22, 2014 at 12:35 am | Permalink
Tim

Great video! I love hearing about the good ole days of collecting. I had a Hank Aaron rc that I traded away when I was 13. Twenty one years later I still regret it. I traded it for skateboard wheels which I thought were cool at the time. Big mistake!

Posted February 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink
KC

My biggest regret was trading my 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper deck RC for a 1990-91 Skybox David Robinson card. To make everything even worse I am still looking to get my hands on an 89 UD Griffey RC for my collection. Now I cringe every time I see a David Robinson 1990-91 Skybox..

Posted February 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

My biggest regret was trading not 1, but 2 Michael Jordan Fleer rookie cards for the entire 1980 topps hockey usa players lot (Mark Johnson, Ken Morrow etc.,,) I started collecting baseball and hockey cards shortly after the 1980 Miracle on Ice game (I just turned 6 years old) and after watching the Miracle I became hooked and had to have the cards of all of the USA players. Fast forward a few years later and I purchased a box of fleer basketball cards from the local corner store hoping to get a few Larry Bird cards for my collection. After taking out the Bird cards for my personal collection I headed down the the weekend flea market to see if the card dealer had any of the 1980 hockey cards that he might want to trade for some of my basketball. As state earlier he did trade me the hockey cards for the 2 Michael Jordan rookies and at the time I was overjoyed as I had no idea who this Michael Jordan kid was and I finally had the cards I had been looking to find for a few years. Well needless to say those Jordan rookies a worth just a little bit more than my 1980 team USA cards at this point. Oh well I guess you have to make a bad deal at least once so that you learn from it and never do it again.

Posted February 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink
Justin Grunert

We have a winner! We drew a name from a hat and the winner is Steve Emerick! Thank you to everyone that shared their stories and enjoyed the video. I will be doing another video soon with another Back in the Day Break! G-Pa will be back in the future as well. He said that he is glad that people liked hearing his stories.

Posted February 26, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
Kale Tingelstad (ForTheBirds)

My biggest regret by far was destroying/throwing away/younameit nearly all of the first cards I ever bought. At the time the packs were only fifty cents and i really knew nothing about card collecting. I bought basketball only because I was (and always have been) a huge Bird fan. In my little hometown I was nearly the only Bird fan amongst Lakers and Bulls fans. To be cocky and show my “loyalty” to the legend I would pull all Celtics out of the packs I opened then proceed to either throw away or destroy the remaining cards to spite my friends. Oh the stupidity of a 14 year old boy!! I probably did this with over a hundred packs all tolled. Now that may not sound like a big deal but here’s the kicker, and the part that will just make you sick to your stomach my fellow collectors…the packs…were all 87 fleer!!!

Posted February 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink