Topps confirms Russell Johnson autograph redemptions will be fulfilled

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

The actor who played The Professor on Gilligan’s Island died last week.

Russell Johnson was 89.

Many people who bought 2013 Topps 75th Anniversary packs may have pulled a redemption for an autograph of Johnson.

Topps confirmed to Beckett Media that Johnson signed the autographs before he died.

Johnson appeared on a number of other card sets over the years with autographs such as 2007 Americana Private Signings, 2012 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures and 2012 Press Pass Platinum Cuts.

Along with Gilligan’s Island, Johnson was known for starring in many sci-fi cult favorites such as It Came from Outer Space.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor at Beckett Media. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Melvin Hauf

I submitted a redemption card for the Russell Johnson auto and I got a Sandy Kofax auto instead.

Posted January 21, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink
Jason K

Melvin, sounds like you got the better end of that deal.

Posted January 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink
Bill

Melvin is lying to. No way Topps would replace a redemption 1 month from the release date. I still have redemptions from 2 years ago that I have recived nothing for. Just like they did on American Pie for Bret Michaels auto or Jimmy Hendrix memorabilia they only sent Dwight Gooden or Don Sutten. So why would Topps send out a $300 Kofax for a $10 Russel Johnson. They wouldn’t.

Posted January 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink
RJ

Different sport, but I pulled a Dean Meminger (Knicks) auto out of a pack of Prizm last week, even though he died in August. It was kind of weird.

Posted January 21, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

I got a Gary Carter auto of Topps baseball in 2013. He was also dead by that point. That’s what sticker autos can do.

Posted January 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
Matt Traylor

I got a Gary Carter sticker auto for my Bret Michaels Relic/Auto redemption…fighting to get it replaced with something worth it. That redemption was selling for north of $100 at product’s release!

Posted January 21, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Russell Johnson was a very well known autograph signer, his family said he was still signing autographs as recently as over this past Christmas holiday. I am kind of surprised that he has a redemption card because of how often he signed.

Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink
Joe Stanley

Has Topps ever gave a reason of why it takes so long to get the redemptions back when they stated
they have the autographs? It’s going on a year now… Anybody know the answer?

Posted June 25, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink