Hobby Pulse Poll: Is this the coolest sports card packaging ever?

flawless-briefcase

¬†We want to know what you think … is Panini America‘s Flawless briefcase the coolest piece of sports card packaging ever? If not, what trumps it? Let us know with your vote and add a comment below.

Is this the coolest sports card packaging ever?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dan Carstens

At over a grand apiece, it should come in a safe.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink
rick

How about a wax box?

Posted October 23, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink
Tony P

it is really cool, not 1400 dollars cool but really cool. you can get a metal case at wal-mart though.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
Tyler

It certainly is clever but ultimately a waste. The cards inside are what matter, not a cheap aluminum briefcase. Is anyone ever going to use this practically? How many of these are going straight to Goodwill or a landfill?

There was a high end product (the name escapes me) that allowed you to use the box itself to display two cards side by side or one booklet card. It was a simple idea but well thought out and executed. I appreciate ingenious engineering over gaudy opulence.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink
Jason K

Such a waste! I’m more interested in the cards than the packaging. If I had to choose something cooler (other than Rick’s suggestion of a plain ol’ wax box) I would choose A&G packaging this year with the chance of a hidden card in the box panels.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink
Richard

It will all depend on the cards.
If the cards inside are chipped or are the type to sell for $10, now one will care if the case was nice.
I kind of liked the 2006 Topps Sterling where you had a band around the box telling you the player.
You could decide to take the risk or sell it to a true player collector.
The old leaf preferred (I think) had card in a tin and had the players on it, but more importantly it
helped reduce the pack feelers.

Anyway, the case is nice, but I’d trade it for an unopened pack of 48 Leaf Baseball in a heart beat.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
Anthony

Why do cards need a briefcase? I honestly would rather open packs.

Posted October 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Come on folks. The question is, “Is this the coolest sports card packing ever?” And “If not, what trumps it?”

I know a lot of collectors are unhappy that 2012-13 Flawless boxes are outside of their budget. And as a result, some of these people choose to trash talk the product rather than consider what the hobby is about to experience.

Be honest. Price of the product aside, this is the coolest sports card packing EVER! 2012 Topps Five Star Football packing was unique, but coolest? Panini’s National Treasures comes in a nice wood & hinged box. We give them away to good customers and they always say thanks; but compared to Flawless? Older Upper Deck Exquisite came in nice cherry wood boxes. Cool at the time, but compared to Flawless?

If 2012-13 Flawless came in a Walmart Blaster Box for $19.99, EVERYONE would be saying Flawless is the BEST BASKETBALL cards EVER! The problem for those who trash talk is the price. PRICE ASIDE, THESE ARE THE MOST AMAZING BASKETBALL CARDS EVER PRODUCED.

Don’t let your anger at the price of this product, force you to miss out on buying some of these beautiful singles. Hut for bargains on eBay, card shows and your favorite card shop. You won’t regret it. If you can afford it, get in on a group break from a reputable site. You could come up with an amazing valuable card within your budget.

Posted October 24, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink
Richard

I just thought of an OK use.
Let’s say that the case was actually a decent size and you could store a complete set in it.
Not sure if they would have to be in semi rigids or maybe graded holders, but somehow you are
able to display and protect your set. That would be kind of cool.

Posted October 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
Jason K

Charlie, I don’t think anybody was talking trash about the product because of the price point. I think they were just saying that for the price, they are more concerned about the cards inside than they are the box that it comes in.

Posted October 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink
Robert Braxton

It’s the coolest one I’ve ever seen.

Posted October 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
Cardman

Lets give credit where credit is due… They are the coolest packaging of all time and I don’t even like basketball cards… I really think it would be cool if they did a football card release mainly focused on veterans and HOF players with gem stones on every card including inserts and autos… Then I would easily pay $1,200+++ for a pack!

Posted October 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

2012-13 Panini Flawless 2-Box Cases are selling on eBay for $3350 and up. Empty metal brief cases are selling on eBay for $45 and up.

We had three brief cases open in my store this afternoon. Buyers had 2 Kyrie Auto RCs, A Kevin Durant Auto Patch, an Anthony Davis Auto RC, a Bill Russell 1/1 Base Card with a nice size diamond, and other nice autos. Customers were happy with their purchase.

Posted October 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
Jon Waldman

I concur with the thought that the best packaging are those that have players on the face. Leaf Preffered indeed did this both in single and double tins. Doubles were particularly cool in that they had interesting player combinations. I had the full set of doubles in hockey at one point.

My favourites of all time though are the 02-03 Parkhrust Retro boxes that ITG did. Individual packs weren’t much, but the boxes were presented as shoe boxes, which was a neat concept given that’s how many collectors stored their cards in that era. A&G and Goodwin were cool also as they stayed true to their eras and looked like cigar/cigarette boxes.

Posted October 26, 2013 at 3:02 am | Permalink
Patrick

I like the simple tin of the Cup over a brief case. Sure I am talking about a different sport but I don’t collect basketball….If they did this for NHL cards and I could afford it….sure I may try it but the packaging could look like 85-86 topps and the same would be true

Posted October 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink