Collecting baseball cards that should not be

SwisherSingle1

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary & Opinion

It started like any other day, visiting eBay recently for auctions of the certain things I collect, lurking beneath the sea of what makes everybody else tick.

In other words, I was watching for Nick Swisher cards — that thing I do that’s tougher when he’s got a sub-.250 average. It was a typical scroll and skip session on my iPhone before I was stopped instantly. I spotted something I hadn’t ever seen before in nearly a decade of hunting his cardboard.

I spotted a thing that should not be.

It was a card that doesn’t officially exist but took years to finally surface — a 2005 Fleer Patchworks Autoworks card, a certified auto missing his ink but appearing to have all the accoutrement of a proper card. With a flick of a thumb (and $10), the card was mine and a few days later it arrived just as the seller described. It was printed on the stock that was used for that year’s release just slightly oversized but still fitting in a top-loader.

SwisherSingle2

In recent months, plenty has been said online about cards like these on the auction block, though some are a bit more mysterious than others. When Fleer closed in 2005, its assets were auctioned to pay its bills that totaled more than $33.5 million, according to filings at the time. Everything from slides to office chairs and, of course, plenty of cards went out the door to help pay off some of its bills, which included owing two printing companies more than $1.5 million apiece and more than 300 creditors. Because of this auction, oddball Fleer cards can be found regularly — everything from paper proofs to the card like mine that was mocked but then nixed for some reason.

The new, more mysterious, wave of cards that should not be have often been from uncut sheets that made their way out of Topps printing facilities — and it’s a problem that all companies have had in the past. Unfortunately, these cards have been Superfractor and certified auto sheets from past years that made their way into dealer hands and then cut down into cards. The only difference? Those cards didn’t get numbered or signed — and some of the cards on them were never made. The cards look just like the real thing because they likely are, though they are often called “test” cards by the sellers.

Topps has declined to comment on these in the past, but if you look on its typical wrapper or box, there’s been a disclaimer there for years. It reads: “Topps has authorized only the packaging and distribution” of the numbered cards’ quantity and that it “cannot guarantee that counterfeit or other unauthorized cards will not exist.”

That’s a legal acknowledgement that, yes, these things can happen. Should they? No, but card companies can’t control everything at every minute when it comes to the printing facilities it works with 24 hours a day, seven days a week thousands of miles away from its headquarters. If there were problems in the past, you can bet that card companies have aimed to fix it. As much as some collectors don’t like seeing some of these cards on the market, you can bet card companies — and their licensors — don’t, either. (Topps now uses printers in Texas just like most of the other card companies.)

I recently bought my Fleer card hoping that it was the only one — and that was proven wrong when another replaced it on eBay the following week. That’s the beauty of these cards — and that’s the sign there should also be a warning that comes along, too. They’re unique but we’ll never know how rare they may be.

I picked up mine — this single card and have since added two others that were never released (a dual and a quad; all ink-less) — because I collect my player and appreciate something different, not because I’m going to get rich off having cards that others probably won’t.

These cards shouldn’t drain you of your sanity or your money. If you want to collect them, go ahead, but I suggest doing it for the fun of wanting to have it all for your player or your team, not for the financial possibilities that something might be rare. What happens if you overspend on things that should not be and they turn out to not be that rare after all? Well, in madness you may dwell.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

John Russell

This explains why I have noticed so many Ozzie Smith paper “test” cards from Donruss. I thought maybe they were a scam until I started seeing them slabbed. Now, I’m all like, “CRAP! That’s more Ozzie’s I need to try to track down!

Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

There’s no way of knowing how many — or what — may exist, John, so they won’t be cataloged in the Beckett database. That said, I think it’s a personal decision of a collector whether they’d want to dabble in such cards or not. For me, price is a heavy determining factor. If it’s cheap, I’m probably in. If it’s not, it’s a much tougher decision.

Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Chris, what a cool article! I love that there are certain “black market” hidden gem cards like this.

It’s also fascinating that Fleer was so highly in debt. I’d love to know about the financial backend of sport card companies. I have this premonition that card companies are just able to print money, how could they possibly go bankrupt? Anything a card company touches becomes a collectible. Every single printing plate, proof sheet, heck, even the scrap paper in the garbage bin could be a collectible as long as it has a player’s image or name on it. I’d love to know more about the complexities of running a sports card company to help correct my outside view.

Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Not a black market since there’s nothing illegal about the Fleer stuff.

Reality is that making wax boxes costs a lot of money — and there’s a good chunk of change invested in each one. When they don’t sell well, it hurts — any and all companies.

Posted September 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

This I guess is the same for the Lebron Usa 04 Fleer cards I see from time to time on Ebay.
The Patchworks product wasn’t too bad nice box toppers as I recall.
Good info thanks
Tom w

Posted September 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink
Jeff

I have several from the same seller but from other brands. Love to know the story behind these. Mine are Pacific, did they get acquired or go out of business?

Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
sean

my question is now that you have the card, if you are at a show or somewhere else and have the opportunity to get the card signed by swisher are you going to?

Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink
Charles Burrell

I have quite a few of these cards of Pat Burrell. Lately, though, there have been so many posted on ebay that I am no longer chasing them. Sellers want way to much for players who are no longer in their selling prime. They just keep posting the same cards at the same prices!

Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:56 am | Permalink
Card Opionator

I love this kind of stuff! I bet those who made, and approved these hate it!

Posted September 4, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink
Olds

Sean: Probably not … but i’d think about it.

Jeff: Pacific’s inventory was sold off around the time it closed. What is now Panini America owns the intellectual property (brand trademarks, etc.)

Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I think you should have Swish sign it personally to you. How cool would that be?

Posted September 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
Scott F

I bought a “test” superfractor of my player and the superfractor-ness doesn’t pop out like a real superfractor. The shine is much duller. Same thing with a couple other “test” chromes I got. Maybe these particular cards were in the early test printing stages but even without being numbered you can see a big difference between a real superfractor and a “test” superfractor.

I’ll but any of these types of cards for my player collection as long as the price is reasonable.

Scott F

Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink
marc

I’ve started buying these oddball Johnny Damon cards, such as the Topps Chrome “test superfractor” and some of the Fleer & Pacific ones. I agree, if the price is cheap then I am OK because it’s going into my PC anyway. I’m sure there are those who’ll squeeze blood from a boulder when it’s a Jeter or Ripken, but that is the nature of the beast.

Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink