Introducing the Beckett Hobby Advisory Board

Beckett Media is proud to announce the creation of the Beckett Hobby Advisory Board. The board has been put together to help build the hobby through the promotion of Beckett’s vast array of hobby products and services, as well as the creation of new offerings and goods.

The first two members of the board are Dr. James Beckett, founder of Beckett Publications, and Rob Veres of Burbank Sportscards in Burbank, Calif.

Dr. Beckett first published Beckett Baseball Card Monthly in 1984, which has been a staple in the card industry ever since.

β€œIt is a pleasure and honor to work with Dr. Beckett again. His vision of the hobby is second to none, and we look forward to taking advantage of his boundless hobby experience,” said Bill Sutherland, Chief Hobby Operations Officer for Beckett Media and creator of the Beckett Hobby Advisory Board.

Veres owns Burbank Sportscards, which is the world’s largest retailer of single sports cards online with over 38 million cards on his website. His involvement in the industry as a retailer began in 1981 and Burbank Sportscards was the first shop on the Beckett Marketplace in 1999.

“I’m honored to be an inaugural member of the Beckett Hobby Advisory Board,” Veres said. β€œI’ve been a longtime advocate of making this industry a better place for retailers and collectors and I’m very excited to be able to do that now in an official capacity with Beckett. I’m even more excited to be able to offer my expertise in providing collectors the world over with new and exciting ways to collect/purchase sports cards.”

Look for additional announcements as board members are added.

Steve

Dear beckett hobby advisery board, can you fix the web site so it runs better? Before you come up with new products maybe you should fix your current ones first

Posted July 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink
Joe Cecil

Absolutely fix the problems that already exist rather than continuing to add to the workload your employees can not handle already or hire more people.

Posted July 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
Kevin

Can I be on the board? I know a lot about cards.

Posted July 5, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink
Jay

So, I’ll just let the cat out of the bag on this one right now: how can we start working as a hobby against redemptions?

I have waited 2 years for a hall of fame autograph on the printing plate, received a replacement that was in no way close to what I was supposed to get. I took pictures and sent them to Topps as they requested only to receive 0 replies back.

My friend was told a redemption from last year could not be fulfilled on a phone call, and was promised a hall of famer in its place along with x6 packs of bowman blue wave from this year. He received 3 retail packs of plain topps and 2 packs of plain bowman.

These stories are getting worse and worse. As a hobby, this is something we need to take up to the manufacturer and producer….

Posted July 5, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Jay: It’s not going to happen — unless autographs go away.

Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink
dean martin

redemptions are not the problem, its the process of dealing with people like topps. i would rather have a redemption to get an on card auto than an ugly sticker. but dont include someone in the set if they are not going to sign in a timely manner. getting a response from somone at topps card is about as good as your odds of hitting th lottery.bp

Posted July 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink
Kevin

All roads lead to redemption and anti-sticker rants…

Posted July 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
Richard

All they need to do is come up with a points based redemption system.
IN the event the card is not likely to ever come into existence or a reasonable time has passed,
you are given a SELECTION based on some kind of point value. Perhaps you get one item, perhaps
you get several smaller ones. Point value should be assigned at the time of creation reflecting
difficulty and cost of product rather than some market value which may grow or more likely plummet
during the delay. I understand the attempt at using market value for fairness, but the reality is, there
are times when the guide is just not going to accurately reflect current conditions and certainly not
reflect the desires of the collector.

For example, I bought a redemption card for a John Stockton auto card. I ended up with a
Penny Hardaway 8 x 10 auto photo. At the time, they claimed the value was the same.
I did not agree then, and time has further proven my judgement to be sound. Wrong team and
wrong type of collectible = fail.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink
Card Opionator

Got to speak with your dollars folks. Don’t buy sticker auto products, or cards. Make the secondary market value have a serious difference in price. That is the only way it will ever change. Pay more for on-card graphs!

Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink
Lou

I agree with the others above. Get your current product fixed before adding more to the workload. Site was down for a little earlier and now can’t add cards to a trade I am doing.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 6:02 am | Permalink