Beckett Baseball Hobby Pulse Poll: Which upcoming baseball card release gets your cash?

Puigcover

Which upcoming baseball product gets your cash?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The second half of the baseball season has begun but the baseball card year still has plenty of time to go. Which upcoming product (list excludes re-packs and cut products) gets your attention?

It’s hard to say right now without knowing what will be in each product, but I’m leaning toward Bowman Chrome simply because it will include the first Mets Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs since 2011. It’s been a long wait, but at least Rafael Montero and Matthew Reynolds are confirmed to have signed cards. Other than that, probably Topps Update and not much more. The first half was terrible with so little value in most products, it’s just not worth it to open anything that isn’t on clearance.

Posted July 22, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink
Sal Rinauro

I know I’m the exception, and not the rule, but I’m not a fan of Allen & Ginter. I love this years base design and some of the inserts in Chrome has gotten my attention, and my money.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink
David Brewer

dood are you serious talking about opening stuff on clearance lol.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

Sal, I’m not an A&G fan either. You’re not alone.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

David: None of the items on the list above are out yet, let alone on clearance.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

From that list, I’ll get whatever is the most affordable. Here’s the prices from 2012 per pack:

? Fleer Retro
$2.50 Bowman Platinum
$2.50 Allen & Ginter
? Panini Pinnacle
? Panini Cooperstown
? Tier One
? Finest
? Heritage Minors
$9.00 Topps Chrome
$2.50 Bowman Chrome
$21.43 Triple Threads
$10.99 (for one 72-card pack) Topps Update
(prices are based on cards sold on mlb.com and topps.com)

Would anyone be able to fill in the question marks?

Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
DAVID

yeah i know they arent out yet, I was poking fun at that guy who was talking about about this years product be terrible and opening stuff on clearance. ;P

Posted July 24, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

If I’m going to be stuck with a pile of worthless cards either way, what’s wrong with waiting for sales and clearances? Unless you get really lucky, there’s not a whole lot of value in a box of cards these days. Your typical jumbo box of Topps Series 2 ($90-100) for example will have one base set ($10-20), one manufactured relic ($10 on average), one game-used relic (usually worthless), one autograph (usually worthless), one or two SPs, parallels, silk, etc. ($10 each on average), and a bunch of inserts that aren’t worth enough to sell individually. Half of the value is in the contents of a typical box and the other half is in the chance of a big hit. I keep most of what I open and sell whatever will sell easily to reduce my costs. Let’s face it, a 99 cent autograph in every box doesn’t put much of a dent in the price and I’ve gotten much better cards from free Archives promo packs and half-price Opening Day. Maybe I’ve just been extremely unlucky this year, but I’m not going to keep trying for a big hit that will let me break even. I’ll buy the singles I want and look to the cheap stuff when I want something to open. I had a decent run last year, but I guess my luck ran out.

Posted July 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink