What do you think of this year’s Bowman football Rookie Cards?

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Geno Smith steps back, looking downfield at his target. The newest New York Jets quarterback is ready to unfurl a furious pass.

I’m sure one of the questions you’re asking – when did the New York Jets change their uniforms?

They haven’t.

Topps used college uniforms for rookies in 2013 Bowman, which released this week. The company Photoshopped out college logos (Upper Deck owns the college license), leaving Smith in a watered-down West Virginia uniform with a New York Jets logo placed in the middle of the bottom of the card.

Last year, Bowman employed generic uniforms for its rookies, but often in colors of their newest team. These cards were more artsy as opposed to this year’s live-action photos.

Panini circumvented the issue with this year’s Score product by showing head shots of rookies on a 1989 Score design.

For Bowman’s on-card autographs, collectors don’t even get team logos. Topps had to prepare these cards in advance to get the cards signed at the NFL Players Association Rookie Premiere. So, there is no team logo, no team name. Just Smith with an NFL logo on the front with a great looking on-card autograph.

Topps might have avoided the NFL logo issue – and showed players with their teams – by employing sticker autographs rather than on-card autos … but sticker autos don’t have the colleting appeal of hand-signed cards.

The result for Bowman – Topps’s first card product on the NFL calendar – isn’t much different than pre-draft offerings by Press Pass, Sa-Ge and Leaf, other than the small NFL logo.

Collectors criticize those pre-draft products about the lack of logos and team names.

But in the end, what’s the difference?

What are your thought on 2013 Bowman football Rookie Cards?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Football. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

shad

Pretty much answered your own question ” They are watered down and just plain dull “.

As for the poll question what does a player being in the NFL uniform have to do with an auto being sticker or on card ?

Posted June 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
Joe Cecil

GARBAGE!!!

Posted June 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink
Tony P

Actually like collecting players in their college uni’s. Im pretty sure other people like that too. There will be more than enough products in pro uni soon enough.

Posted June 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

compared to last year, this is a massive win.

Posted June 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink
Ed

I personally don’t like this college look, but is it a good box to buy if you like breaking packs? I think so.
Good Luck!

Posted June 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink
joe

After buying several packs I like this product. The mini autos are pretty cool.

Posted June 5, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink
Richard

Thing is, if I want college uniforms I’d go with Press Pass.
While I like Upper Decks photography, I hate the stickers.

In any case, I see nothing special in this years crop especially compared to last year.
Now there is always the chance someone will come out and turn into Kurt Warner
or Tom Brady, but I’m not going to count on that.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink
shad

Yeah last year was like somebody drunk out of their mind threw up all over the cards. This year the same person is just hung over without the puke. lol

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

If you look carefully, Topps included the EXACT SAME background on a multitude of its rookie cards- getting away with it by dimming the focus of these cards. So, in essence, watered down photography- less cards per pack, and a bigger disappointment from last years product!

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink
afff

i don’t mind the college look but for RC’s they should be in there team uniforms

Posted June 6, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink
gb5hof

Nice effort…just recycle 2012 Bowman Baseball…with no logos. No thanks.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink
James

Its cool collect the rookie cards in their college uniforms but the only true way to that (in my opinion) is to buy UD seeing how they have a college license and don’t have to air brush the logos and names off everything. Just feels and looks mundane without the actual college logos and team names on the jersey

Posted June 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink
Big Mike

Waste of production time.

Posted June 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
Randy

Sucked last year sucks this year!

Posted June 7, 2013 at 8:08 am | Permalink
Mike

I had to pare down my collection to just Ravens Refractors. Sounds crazy, but I just couldn’t keep up. As a fan of Refractors, I was disappointed to see Bowman Chrome end as a stand alone brand and I’m thrilled to see so many Refractor cards of my teams draft picks in this product. I don’t care about the uniforms and I don’t really mind sticker autos as long as they are done well, i.e. not just just a base card with a sticker thrown on it.

Posted June 7, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

come on RC. in school uni’s, and why is it that the base non auto has team drafted by but the same chrome has the NFL logo

Posted June 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink