Upper Deck brings back O-Pee-Chee Wrapper Redemption program

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor

Upper Deck is bringing its O-Pee-Chee Wrapper Redemption Program back to Canada this year.

After collecting 50 hobby wrappers, collectors can redeem them for a six-card pack featuring red-bordered OPC parallels and an OPC stamp card.

The red-bordered set consists of 600 cards, including 100 from the 2013-14 rookie class. Players such as Vladimir Tarasenko, Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk and Jonathan Huberdeau will be part of this special set. The OPC stamp checklist has 50 names on it.

Collectors can’t redeem the wrappers on their own. They have to bring groups of 50 wrappers to a Certified Diamond Dealer in Canada only where the wrappers will then be shipped to Upper Deck. UD will return the OPC Wrapper Redemption packs back to the shop where collectors will pick them up.

Upper Deck says there are no extra charges associated with these packs, but card shops may ask for a shipping and handling fee to send the cards Upper Deck’s Canadian Fulfillment Center.

The redemption packs will be ready to ship when OPC releases in August.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Hockey. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Mark

Canada only? If so, it looks like a Panini kind of hockey year ahead for me!

Posted June 20, 2013 at 5:44 am | Permalink
Ed

So only the Canadians have a chance at getting the wrapper redemption packs?

Well, well……well. I guess Upper Deck no longer appreciates the hard earned American Dollar, or the American Hockey Collector.

So….they can keep their little blue team, red team Football and baseball cards (No license having Trash!) and I will now never purchase an Upper Deck product again.

I had hoped that eventually Upper Deck would get their licensing back, but Now! They can Kiss my Anal opening goodbye!!

And Corporations wonder why the public has an attitude with Corporate America. Take your crap to Canada and stay there.

Upper Deck is part of the American Corporate problem…Not part of the solution!!

Peace
ED

Posted June 20, 2013 at 7:55 am | Permalink
JB

I was excited until I read this. Total BS

Posted June 20, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
JB

Let me add to my previous comment. I usually buy a case of this product. Last year I’m not sure how the wrapper redemption worked as I never actually heard about it until I tossed all the wrappers. As I was reading this article I was deciding to up my order to two cases. Then read the part about collectors not able to redeem themselves. Now I am back to one case. Idiots.

Posted June 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I just hope that the 6 pack card wont be trans-lucide like last year so that the shop holder sees what we get and keeps the best one for him. they should be not visible to everybody.
Just hope this is not another trick of Upper Deck to try to boost sale like they did for the MVP Inserts taht we had in serie 1 and make an update in another set like SP.

Posted June 21, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink
James

What’s the deal with UD? All these years of being in the sports card making biz and they STILL can’t get the redemption thing right. Its like I told them in a recent email regarding old redemption cards “if you can’t get it right stop having card and wrapper redemption programs” Its sad! You would think an outfit like Upper Deck would have their collective $&%* together by now when it comes to the redemption game but every year passes and it gets more and more ridiculous each time.

Posted June 23, 2013 at 4:07 am | Permalink
Anthony C

Its really no diff when other companies have us only redemptions. For example, Topps has various US only redemptions in their packs. Lets face it, the majority of the big hockey buyers are probably going to be in Canada. Cry me a river.

Posted June 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink
Jim A

It isn’t as if Upper Deck has ever had a product worth buying anyway. This is nothing new for them as they are known to send loaded product to other countries anyways. Who wants to spend money on merchandise that isn’t even allowed to use a major league team name anyway. Let them have their one and only sport along with a subpar card manufacturer, after all it would suck to be a Canadian!

Posted June 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
steve d donaldson

Just a reminder that for years OPC was a CANADIAN product.

Posted June 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink
Harry Patterson

Usual crappy upper deck bad redemption policy and worthless cards.

Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink