The annual BSCM SuperCollector issue is coming … we want to see your collections — and your fancaves!

SuperCollectorCover2012

Update: CLICK HERE FOR THE UPDATED STEPS ON HOW TO PREPARE YOUR SUBMISSION

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

Our annual showcase of collectors’ passions is coming soon in the pages of Beckett Sports Card Monthly.

That’s right — The SuperCollector Issue is upon us later this summer.

Now’s the time where we’re seeking all of your stories, your photos and your information. We want you to make your case for being one of the 15 to 20 collectors showcased for the world to see.

Perhaps it’s because of your massive collection of Barry Larkin cards — or perhaps it’s for your stash of hundreds of through-the-mail autographs. Whatever it is that you collect, we want to hear about it, whether it’s baseball, football, basketball or hockey — or any other sport … or non-sports … or whatever you can imagine.

As a new part of this year’s issue, we also want to see how you display your collections — we want to see the best of your fancaves out there as well.

How can you be a SuperCollector or see your fancave showcased in a Beckett magazine? Your instructions are after the jump …  read them carefully!

You don’t have to have the most-expensive collection on the block but it needs to be unique — downright crazy — in some way that it stands out.

Send in an email to BeckettSuperCollector@gmail.com and readersrock@beckett.com the following information:

1. Name, age, your collecting email address (if you want it published), your location (state) and, most importantly, who or what you collect.

2. Statistics about your collection (total cards, number of different cards, number of 1/1s, number of autographs, number of game-used cards or items, etc.) as seen on the examples seen below. Make your case with your statistics.

3. Tell us why you should be selected. Sell us on what makes your collection the best — and how/why your collection started. Tell us what makes your collection special and unique. Make your case with your story.

4. Send us quality images of you with your collection and then images of your favorite items in your collection that we can examine or use if you’re selected for the magazine. Be sure to include one showing you with your collection and make sure to show off your displays if your fancave is worthwhile. (Bad images will not help your submission. Links are preferred, but we have set up the gmail address so emails with larger attachments can be received.) Make your case with your images.

5. Be complete with your entry — and be patient. We WILL be in touch if you are selected or we need more information. If you sent info in the past, please update it and send it again. Submissions for this particular issue will be taken into next month, but we always run SuperCollectors on a regular basis, too.

Check out the SuperCollectors below if you need to see more … we’re awaiting your email.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

aSupercollector2012n

1/1s – 19
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

The other stuff
1 Auto’d Jersey
1 Auto’d game worn jersey
2 Auto’d Panini 8x10s
1 Auto’d 2009 Upper Deck rookie premier ball signed by Jackson and all the players at the 2009 rookie premier
1 English Bulldog AKC registered as Tyson Ninety-Four Jackson

Why should my Tyson Jackson collection be in the magazine, simply put it’s the best and most complete Jackson collection there is……ANYWHERE…..PERIOD. I started collecting Jackson in January 2011. It all started in November 2010 when I was admitted in to the hospital where I ended up spending about a month doing nothing but laying in a hospital bed, while laying in that bed I decided to look up some cards just to see what I could find. After looking through several baseball cards and not being impressed I decided to check out some football cards so I looked up the Chiefs who have been my favorite team my whole life. After looking around at Chiefs cards for a bit I came across a Tyson Jackson Topps Finest auto patch and made it the first card of my new collection. Over the last 2+ years I have grabbed everything I could find of Jackson, as you could probably see by my stats. At first I was simply trying to get any and every card I didn’t have one of but after some point it started getting hard to find those that I didn’t have so I started picking up duplicates of cards the I liked the most. Some of my favorites which I have at least two of are Freshman Fabric Mirror Emerald /5 (2) Exquisite Signature Nameplates /10 (3), Exquisite Remarkable Signatures /5 (2), SP Authentic RPA (16). I think if you look at my collection you will agree there is not another Jackson collection that is more complete out there anywhere. I honestly do believe my Tyson Jackson collection is the definition of a Super Collection.

Here is the link to my photobucket album that contains my Jackson collection, all cards are in sub album sorted by product. At this time I do not have a picture of myself with my collection but if needed I can get one. I can’t send one at the moment because I am an on the road truck driver, I can get one when I get home though.

The Bucket

Posted June 11, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Leon: We’d need a photo of you with your collection. Without it, there’s no chance of running it.

Posted June 11, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink
Bobby Currier

Name: Bobby Currier
Age: 36
Email: akeetes@gmail.com
State: Texas

Here are my collection totals:

15,000+ total Griffey Jr. cards

250+ total Griffey Sr. cards

4,200+ unique Griffey Jr cards

75-unique Griffey Sr cards

6-1/1s including printing plates of Griffey Jr.

14-Griffey Jr autographs

65.46% of the /150 serial number run

29.64% of the /29 black serial number run

2008 Topps Moments and Milestones /150 RBI

63.27% of the /150 serial number run

12.93% of the /25 black serial number run

14.97% of the /10 blue serial number run

I began collecting baseball cards in 1988 and enjoy the hobby because I love baseball. Collecting my favorite players brought me closer to the game. I have been collecting Griffey Jr. cards since 1989. My super collection involves bobble heads, video games, magazine covers, oddball collectibles, pictures, and much more. I collect Griffey Jr as a result of my mother’s favorite player Johnny Bench. She spoke of Bench’s accolades and the Cincinnati Big Red Machine while I was growing up. Griffey Sr, George Foster, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, and Joe Morgan were names she tossed around in many conversations.

When I pulled a Griffey Jr rookie card in a pack of Donruss in 1989 I knew this young kid was destined to become a great player. I traded all my best cards to acquire as many Griffey cards I possibly could. Since 2009 I’ve been a member of the online Beckett trading community and my collection has exploded with great cards. This community is fantastic and I enjoy trading with everyone on the trading forum. My wife spoils me and picks up autographs, game used, and newly released Griffey cards on a regular basis. I’m proud to say this collection is strongly encouraged with her approval and full support.

I would enjoy the chance to be selected as a featured collector in your super collector issue. I have amassed the numbers to be considered a super collector, however, more importantly I have the largest Griffey Jr/Sr collection. I buy out other Griffey Jr. collectors from time to time. I live near the Frisco, Texas area and the card shop owners in the Dallas area know me as the Griffey Collector. I go to card shows, conventions, antique malls, pawn shops, comic book shops, and a few other places looking for Griffey cards. When I go on vacations I visit card shops and buy Griffeys along the way back home. My hunting practices have allowed me to gain regional cards that were difficult to find prior to the Internet.

If you need additional HD photos or information please let me know.

[URL=http://s989.photobucket.com/user/h0tr0db0b/media/web_zps94478cb0.jpg.html][IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af16/h0tr0db0b/web_zps94478cb0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s989.photobucket.com/user/h0tr0db0b/media/GriffeyCollection.jpg.html][IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af16/h0tr0db0b/GriffeyCollection.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s989.photobucket.com/user/h0tr0db0b/media/Icons-sig-2-1.gif.html][IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af16/h0tr0db0b/Icons-sig-2-1.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Might have to enter this after 20+ years of collecting, do overseas members have a chance?

Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink
dena17

Hey Chris, i was the Supercollector in June, would love to make this issue! Should i submit again with new photos?

Posted June 27, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Leigh: There were several in the first year’s issue. And I see one above.

Dena: Unless it’s a different player or something substantially more, we typically go with new collectors. (People have appeared more than once for different collections and for ones several — many — years apart.

Posted June 28, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink
dena17

Gotcha, thanks!

Posted June 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink
Justin

When is the deadline? Didn’t see one posted . Thanks

Posted July 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink
Tony Wright

Here’s the link for my updated Earl Bennett collection:

http://s82.photobucket.com/user/rown226/library/Earl Bennett PC-NFT?sort=3&page=1

Here’s my current statistics:

Autos: 226/270=83.7% complete! Only 7 non 1/1’s left!
Total: 596/802=74.3% 1/1’s: 42/160=26.3%