David Ortiz’s Boston Strong moment among 25 Topps Series 2 short-prints

BostonStrong

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

This year’s second installment of Topps baseball cards officially arrives tomorrow with 25 short-printed variations to chase and within those there are sure to be some surprises.

As in 20 variations of cards from Series 1. Oh, and David Ortiz‘s memorable (and mouthy) Boston Strong speech, too. (The first to his eBay has an asking price of $299.)

Several of the Series 2 short-prints have been confirmed thus far with photo variations that include portraits wearing sunglasses and signing autographs for fans. It’s worth noting that two players, Mike Trout and Yu Darvish each have two cards listed on the Topps checklist.

Your Take on Big Papi's Card ...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

2013 Topps Series 2 photo variations
1    Bryce Harper (wearing sunglasses)
6    Ryan Howard (signing autographs)
10    Adam Jones (wearing sunglasses)
11    Yu Darvish (wearing sunglasses)
11    Yu Darvish (signing autographs)
22    Clayton Kershaw (signing autographs)
26    Chase Utley (signing autographs)
27    Mike Trout (signing autographs)
27    Mike Trout (wearing sunglasses)
28    Prince Fielder (wearing sunglasses)
34    Felix Hernandez (wearing sunglasses)
55    Tim Lincecum (wearing sunglasses)
78    Dylan Bundy (signing autographs)
110    Justin Upton (Braves card; wearing sunglasses)
122    Andrew McCutchen (wearing sunglasses)
127    Giancarlo Stanton (wearing sunglasses)
228    Adrian Gonzalez (signing autographs)
242    Matt Kemp (wearing sunglasses)
316    Josh Reddick (wearing sunglasses)
331    Jose Reyes (signing autographs)
362    Yoenis Cespedes (wearing sunglasses)
456    Pablo Sandoval
595    David Ortiz (Boston Strong)
660    Miguel Cabrera (signing autographs)
661    Hyun-Jin Ryu (wearing sunglasses)

Need a checklist for 2013 Topps Series 2? Click here.

rick

Don’t like it topps, knock it off. One card for example is great (skip/squirrel) card was great. Either it is vet varitions or these and the excessive inserts. Please cut it back.

Posted June 18, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink
brianped

Some people have no clue. Why would anyone complain about variations that add excitement and value to the break. I sold my Kershaw variation for $50 last night so there is certainly a demand from most collectors.

Posted June 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

One of the highlights of the 2013 season (so far), and Topps abuses it for … another gimmick.

Posted June 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

… and it will sell a lot of wax.

Posted June 18, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

And it will sell a lot of that wax to non-collectors who see this card hoping to pull it, yet are unaware that it’s a gimmicked SP; get angry, and never, ever, buy another pack of baseball cards again. Bait-and-switch is a really, really, great way to run a company, isn’t it?

Posted June 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink
Jason

I love the SP and SSPs, it adds value to the breaks.
I did vote “no” on this question though. While I am 100% compassionate toward the horrible acts that occurred in Boston I was floored by the fact that everyone loved the speech made by Ortiz (and I’ve been a fan of Big Papi). Dropping the F bomb in that type of a public setting was unnecessary. For those that say it was a great speech; it just wasn’t. If you have to bleep out words it’s not great. It’s locker room talk.
And trust me, I drop the F bomb multiple times per day, but there is a time and place. In private with friends, sure. In public forums or when I’m giving a presentation at work, no.
Big Papi should have considered the same.

Posted June 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Where’s the switch?

Posted June 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
Tim Rash

I would be excited to pull a SP don’t get me wrong but it just looks like more cards of players I like that I will NEVER be able to obtain unless I could ever afford to buy it on ebay ! Cool cards ? sure. Disappointed in more SP’s ? Absolutely.

Posted June 19, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink
Richard Gobis

I’m scratching my head also where’s the switch?And why would you buy alot of this product if your a non collector?I agree with brianped it adds excitement!!!

Posted June 20, 2013 at 8:11 am | Permalink