First Look: 2012-13 Panini Intrigue basketball cards

INtrigue_harden

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

Panini America hopes its next new basketball card line is, well, intriguing.

The NBA’s sole trading card licensee announced yet another new brand for the 2012-13 season, and it’s Intrigue, a new high-end brand that includes a set within a set.

Set to arrive in August, 2012-13 Intrigue will include two packs per tin with one pack being a six-card pack of Intrigue and the second being a five-card pack of Intriguing Players cards, the company said.

The standard set will include just 100 cards accented by 15 insert sets, while the Intriguing Players set will be 200 cards of just 20 top players.

Among the inserts in this one will be seven autograph insert sets: Impact Rookies, Immortalized Autos (50 cards with two parallel versions), Red White and Blue (USA Basketball, with parallels), Rookie auto mem (60 players with patch versions), Winning Ink (50 cards), Slam Ink and Dunk Company.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Chris

Are you KIDDING me!? Can Panini water down this year’s basketball cards any more? I’m so tired of it that I’ve quit buying basketball from them period.

Posted June 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I am with Chris (above), Panini’s has released 20+ 2012-13 NBA products so far. I can understand releasing 2-3 low end, 2-3 mid-range, 2-3 upper end and 1 super high end product but this is ludicrous. I wish Panini would focus on 8-10 total sets and make them amazing instead of releasing 20 sets that are underwhelming.

Posted June 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink
Anthony

I agree with what other people have been saying. It’s been repetitive…Same concept, same inserts, nothing new from Panini. You’ll see the same signatures over and over. And they don’t have two of the biggest names in the history of basketball….JORDAN and LEBRON!!! The old times when there’s different brands to choose from, makes collecting more interesting….I miss you Upper Deck and Topps!!! Give them some NBA license now!!!!

Posted June 10, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
afff

Again, another product that I can not afford

Posted June 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
Joe

The Impact Rookies look like the Brilliant Beginnings from Panini Brilliance, which looks like the rookie autograph from Panini Marquee. I usually don’t complain about products I would never buy. However, damn Panini do you need to hire some people with new ideas. I’ll pass on this one.

Posted June 10, 2013 at 11:53 pm | Permalink
Jim

Panini can make ALL the basketball cards it wants. UNTIL it includes Michael Jordan cards it will NEVER be a complete set!

Posted June 11, 2013 at 7:51 am | Permalink