Auction for autograph Jack Hoffman card goes unpaid

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor | Commentary & Opinion

Jack Hoffman’s story naturally went national. The 7-year-old fighting cancer scored a touchdown in the University of Nebraska’s spring game.

Anyone who watched the video from the game realized just how dusty it was in their room that day.

Upper Deck then created blow-up cards of Jack and one of the silver autographed cards (three are signed in silver and one in gold) was auctioned on eBay earlier this month for The Team Jack Foundation. The final bid came in at $6,100 – shattering anyone’s expectations and adding more excitement to a special story.

But unfortunately, there is no happy ending when it comes to this auction.

Too often there are stories of high-end ticket items that go unpaid – and that is true in this case as well.

Prep 2 Pro Sports owner Mike Schnoor, who is selling the cards on behalf of the Team Jack Foundation, has not received any money for the Hoffman card despite contacting the final bidder and the next couple of bidders on the list.

“It’s a pretty sore subject around here,” Schnoor told Beckett Media. “The guy who ended up winning said a guy logged into his account and bid on it as a joke. It goes from a great story to kind of sobering.”

There are many stories we hear about bidders whose children bid on cards or practical jokes, but when does eBay stop laughing? This money was to help a child fighting pediatric brain cancer. Instead, Schnoor still has the card and is thinking of a different approach because he doesn’t want to go through the same issues again.

Some other options include re-listing the card, putting it up as a “Buy It Now,” or selling it locally.

But how many times does this have to happen before eBay decides it’s finally time to punish the buyers who do not fulfill their “contract” when bidding on an item? It’s too easy to say a child did it or it was a practical joke once someone changes their mind.

The story of how the Jack Hoffman cards came to be is a great one – it starts with a person just wanting to help.

Prep 2 Pro Sports owner in Norfolk, Neb., got involved after watching that game from the stands in April. Schnoor was driving home that day and thought of a way to help the family. He was already working with Upper Deck to create an in-store promo for Nebraska fan-favorite Rex Burkhead. He thought maybe Upper Deck could do the same for Jack.

Schnoor reached out to Chris Carlin from Upper Deck and UD was immediately on board with the idea. Schnoor received five blow-up cards of Jack and gave one to the family. The other four will be sold in efforts to raise money for The Team Jack Foundation.

“That simple little play that happened in the spring is going to be part of ‘Husker history forever,” Schnoor said.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Football. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Dave Sund

eBay has been screwing the seller for the past several years now and we have ZERO recourse. So fed up with them. We can only leave positive feedback for buyers. Also a listing that that didn’t really “complete” such as this one, the “buyer” can still leave negative feedback (for a transaction that didn’t even occur!) and we as sellers can do nothing about it.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink
jackson depree

just had this happen to me on a card as well, 175.00 down the drain bc of a deadbeat

Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink
stephen lange

This is unfortunate, and hopefully will help shed light on how Ebay has absolutely no protection for sellers, and has basically only become concerned with screwing over the people who helped their company grow.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

Hopefully this will create enough bad PR about eBay that they will start to do something to keep this from happening over and over again. The problem is that eBay has been trying to steer away from auctions and go to more of a Buy It Now environment, so they might not be as concerned about what happens on the true auction side.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink
Keith Fields

I’m giving up on EBAY. I’ve had more deadbeat bidders in the past 3 months than I did for 12 years. I agree that as a seller we cannot do anything, we cannot even leave negative feedback to get the jerks off there. I filed a claim for an item 2 months ago and nothing from EBAY, the dead beat bidder still buying stuff but won’t pay me. Ridiculous!!!

Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
Kevin Conley

It happens to EBAY sellers all the time.. I had an Andrew Luck White Whale that I sold to some dirtbag in PA for $1100.. When you looked up what he had won/purchased, it was over $40K in items.. Then the guy got a new id and kept going.. The next id he had over $45K in wins.. EBAY finally NLRU’d the guy, but how much $$ and time was lost by the various sellers.. I finally ended up selling the Luck for $600 so I know he at least cost me $500.. On big ticket items you can set it up so bidders have to be preapproved..

Susan, great story, but one we have seen over an over.. maybe Yahoo or other national news agency will take it and run with it and he will get more for it this time around..

Posted May 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Jim Jordan

Not surprised since I have a guy that won an auction for $3.50 and will not pay! Utterly ridiculous!!!! Very sad because this was for a great cause. Wake up, obnoxious deadbeat bidders and do the right thing!!!!!!!

Posted May 20, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
Chino

the seller is a notorious shill bidder and this doesn’t surprise me one bit. i was bidding on the wisconsin mini helmet signed by jack and the winning bid was $1050, two days later i get a second chance offer with a buy it now price of 800. why are all of his bidders identity kept private? well duh so he can shill. instead of purchasing the helmet, i just sent a nice donation to his family foundation

Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink
Ryan

Honestly you should forward the story to the American Cancer Society or a similar group. I would imagine there are many people in this world that would not take kindly to the idea of some scumbag/ inept parent messing with a fundraiser for a child with brain cancer.

If you’d like email me and I’ll give you a website or two I’d use (since I recall you saying you live in NJ).

Posted May 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
James

All the more reason why I have been so reluctant to sell anything on ebay. Stories like this only make me thnk I am doing the right thing by staying off that site. So sad :(

Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
Heath

I HAD AN INTERNATIONAL BIDDER NOT ACCEPT AN ITEM AT HIS CUSTOMS BECAUSE HE HAD TO PAY A DUTY TAX ? SO THE ITEM GETS HELD UP FOR 2 MONTHS EBAY/PAYPAL GIVES THE BUYER THIER MONEY BACK, THEN I HAVE NO CARDS, AND NO MONEY ? TOO OFTEN EBAY/PAYPAL HIDE BEHIND THIER POLICIES, AND DO NOT LOOK AT INDIVIDUAL SITUATIONS. BUYERS GET AWAY WITH WAY TOO MUCH, AND THE SELLER ALWAYS GETS CRAPPED ON.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink
Don

Understood how sellers get screwed sometimes. However, I am a buyer who on occasion felt at the mercy of the volume sellers, so it goes both ways. Some sellers would ship crap wrapped poorly, now you better from them. eBay should allow sellers recourse if buyers default to help balance things out. Team Jack should turn the prankster over to authorities because that bid is a contract and the amount, I believe, would bring a feloney charge.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink
Randall

This story is unfortunate. But why do the comments always end up bashing eBay? If you don’t like eBay, don’t use it.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
David Brewer

l0l

Posted May 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
Mark Tardif

I really don’t like how people out there can bid on an auction and not pay for it. I’m not a fan of that one bit and that is why I always use buy it now as my selling option with immediate payment required. Unfortunately with an auction like this though it can’t be done.

If I had the money like the person who just won the Powerball in Florida I would buy the card for double that price just to make a point to the buyer who won the auction and never paid.

Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Permalink
Marco Aguilar

I cant cover the whole $6100.00 but I can can give a $1000.00 if someone will contact me, I challange 5 other people to do the same and we can let the football team keep the card.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 12:46 am | Permalink
Maxoid

If it makes you Ebay sellers feel any better, they’ve been screwing buyers, too. I’ve heard numerous horror stories from friends who’ve run into problems with a product not being what it says it is once it’s been paid for, and even cases where the seller outright lied about the product. Contacted PayPal about it. They said they would investigate. Never heard another word about it. Ebay is like every other company on the planet. They care about one thing and one thing only: Making money. They don’t give a damn about the individual customer with a problem.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink
brad

ebay is a business, they don’t care about buyers or sellers. they just want all the money they can get from us.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink
LES NAGY

Greedbay dont care! Especially in this case since it is a charity auction they get no fees anyway BUT they did get the publicity & all the people going to their site to look at the card!
Greedbay dont even want sellers to accept USPS Money Orders since payNOTMYpal doesnt get its 3% cut of a MO!
I am Shocked Beckett hasnt started a collectibles Auction site (Even if they had to team with other leaders in fields such as Coins-Toys-etc) because a properly run site could take a nice chunk of of the Polluted bay!

Posted May 21, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink
ebay seller

Ebay sellers (including the one stiffed in this article) can file Unpaid Item Disputes (UPI) with ebay 2 days after auction ends if payment is not received. Buyer has 4 days after filing to pay.

If buyer does not pay in that timeframe, buyer receives an unpaid item strike on his account. Sellers can set their auctions to forbid buyers with 2 or more strikes in 6 months from bidding at all, so bad buyers like this are getting shut down somewhat.

The most important point is that the UPI also gets any auction final value fees refunded, and prohibits the buyer who didn’t pay from leaving feedback (and if buyer left feedback before dispute closed, it can be removed).

A lot of the doom and gloom in this article is based on incorrect/incomplete info. Yeah, it sucks that the sale fell through, but other than the lost time and hassle of doing the auction over, it didn’t cost anything if the seller follows procedure. (If it was a Giving Works charity auction with 100% of proceeds going to a charity there were no fees anyway)

ebay has a lot of problems, and buyers CAN run roughshod over sellers, but some of the recent changes show that the pendulum is swinging at least a bit in favor of sellers in some aspects. In other ways, bad sellers are getting hammered too – bad search engine visibility, loss of fee discounts, restricted selling, etc.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink
Joe

Les Nagy, I 100% agree with you. Come on BECKETT start small and see how it goes. You would probaly be pleased with the results. People are tired of Ebay not protecting the sellers. “Oh my kid bidded on the card”. Give me a break. That excuse is so old and tired and Ebay still excepts it. Why not make it a rule that if the winning bidder does not pay they have to pay the fees for the auction. That way Ebay is still getting their money and the seller is stuck. You wont get dead beat bidders.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink
MGLaRosa

EBay Buyer Protection is a Myth. EBay never pays… Never takes responsibility. But benefits from
the Free Publicity.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink
Heath

i think buyers should have to put a certain amount of money in an escrow account , and if they win an auction that escrow money pays for the item, if a buyer wants to bid higher than what they have in thier account, then they get blocked from bidding from that point forward unless they put more funds into that account. The people who have the “real” money to afford the price tag of that item should have no problem throwing that money into an escrow account if they really want it. i’m even talking about $5 dollar cards , make every buyer have that account . if they are true buyers, they will have the money in there ,and then it would eliminate alot of the crap. still leaves the problem of buyers making up any story they want to get out of the actual purchase, and that is where ebay has to step in. but i doubt they will. if beckett opened up its own auction site, i would definatley try it , especially because beckett would look at it from a card stand point. ebay does not take into consideration that its a sports card ,and most cards drop after the first week of release , so if you have an auction go unpaid , there is a good chance (at least with new cards) you will not sell it for what it did originally. beckett would have great knowledge to look at a case from the card world point of view !

Posted May 21, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink
ROBIN SATERIALE

POST THE GUYS NAME…SHAME HIM…BECAUSE HE DID IT WITH THE INTENT NOT TO PAY!

Posted May 21, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
Kansa Husker

I’ve used e bay since 1998 with 90% of it buying. I’ve only been screwed once that I can remember. I just spent over $2,000.00 for a item and it was just as advertised. The biggest problem or complaints are from people who do not read the sellers or buyers feed back. Your able to e mail ththe item they bought e seller or buyer and ask them questions and if your not satisfied with there answers you do not have to buy or sell to or from that party. The problem with comments like i’m reading here are that people who did not do there home work and did not get or felt is simple complainers right or wrong make the most noise.

Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink