Ripping Retail Retro: 1987 Fleer + win our box!

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds and Reed Kasaoka from Baseball Card Exchange (bbcexchange.com) as they rip into a box of 1987 Fleer in this latest Ripping Retail video.

What will they find inside?  Watch and find out …

How can you win our cards? Leave a comment telling us what your favorite 1980s baseball set is. Include your email in the proper field so we can contact you if you’re selected.

Ripping Retail Retro: What do you want to see next week?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Jamie Baldwin

86 Donruss is my favorite by far. Not only was it my first complete set I ever bought it is one of the sharpest cards ever designed. That Rated Rookie insignia will always be embedded in my memory forever. Great memories.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
Chris Woodfin

Actually I have 2 favorites, 84 fleer and 85 Topps. Those were the first two sets where I dove headfirst into collecting. Would save up change all week and would buy the fleer packs for 33 cents for. 28 cards. 85 Topps was the first set that I bought actual wax boxes.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink
Harrison

My favorite 80′s brand is probably the 1987 Topps. I’m a big fan of the wood border.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink
Nick Smith

1980 topps is my favorite set, Rickey Henderson rookie card is as good as it gets!

Posted April 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink
Rob M

Even though my first baseball cards i ever had were the 86′s, 1987 topps will be forever linked to my childhood. For years I would flip for them, take em to school, in the playgrounds/parks and just show off to my buddies. The years rolled on and they got badly beat up and I stored them away until about 2 years ago when I got back into the hobby. Now i would love to build that set just for the sheer fun and memories.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
Mickey Seward

My favorite? Probably ’84 Topps…my first-ever complete set. Also a big fan of ’83 Topps, ’84 Fleer (no idea why, just like them a lot), ’85 Fleer and ’87 Topps.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink
jacques deschambault

perfect i like when i see this ripping

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink
Nick Mikulicich

’82 Topps was mine. At the time, the In Action cards were amazing – Carlton Fisk was the best.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
KC

I would have to say 1989 Upper deck is my favorite set because of the Griffey Jr RC and all the hype that it generated for baseball cards and also 1989 was the first time I started collecting anything during my elementary years..

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink
Norman Carlisle

Would have to say 89 upper deck. It got me back into collecting cards only this time it was for my oldest son so that set is always gonna be special

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
Bill Durbin

83 Topps is my favorite. I like the design and plus there is some nice cards in that set.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
Joe

As much as the ’89 Griffey Upper Deck card is a classic by itself I’ve always loved the 1987 Topps set with Bo Jackson, Will Clark, McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro. Next would be the 1985 Topps set with the Olympic team cards, been a big fan of the USA cards ever since.

Posted April 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink
Greg

1980′s were my teen years, made my 1980 set when I was in my 30′s, 1986 Topps my first complete set. But my most memorable and favorite would be 1987 Topps set. The challenge of getting Mark McGwire RC’s, Bo Jackson Future Stars, and Barry Bonds? I don’t recall trying to find him in packs back then. Remember McGwire was hitting home runs with ease. Lets hear it for 1987 TOPPS!!!

Posted April 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink
kris

i liked all three 1987 sets, but 87 fleer won it by a hair. i even bought the glossy regular and update sets in the nice tin case. still have them. those are really nice

Posted April 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink
Kyle Edwards

89 upper deck griffey hologram

Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

1985 TOPPS because that was when I started collecting

Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink
bill

1981 fleer. the errors and misprints galore. for a philly kid though, the return of a local product was great to see

Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
John Rasimovich

85 topps its when i first started collecting cards. Plus it has donnie baseball’s rookie card

Posted April 30, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink
Ben

1987 Topps. Simple, classic design.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:02 am | Permalink
Patrick Hefel

1987 Topps, the first packs of baseball cards I ever opened. Growing up in rural Iowa, trips to a store of any type were few and far between. But I’ll never forget the grocery trip on which i bought my very first 3 packs of cards ever with money I’d earned helping out on my grandfather’s farm. I’ll never forget the big hits of Frank Viola, Dave Magadan Future Stars, and the big pull of the day – Darryl Strawberry All-Star!!!

Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:51 am | Permalink
Qmart198!@yahoo.com

I would Have to say that my all time favorite set from the 80′s would have to be 1981 topps baseball because that was the first year since 1976 since they had a traded set only this time they werent numberd 1t 2T they were numbered 727

Posted May 1, 2013 at 1:17 am | Permalink
harynjk

1984 Fleer.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:39 am | Permalink
Tim Lindgren

1983 Topps. It was the first set I purchased after many years of collecting as a child. I love the classic design with the small photo on the card similar to 1963 Topps. Plus add in rookie cards of Sandberg, Boggs, Gwynn, Ripken 2nd year and loads of HOFers Ryan, Brett, Schmidt, Henderson, Murray, Yaz, Bench, etc. and you’ve got a great set!

Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:49 am | Permalink
Donnie Lake

1980 Topps .. It was the first year I started collecting .. I still like the look of those cards

Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:09 am | Permalink
David Johnson

1987 Topps is my favorite. That was the set that started me into collecting.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:15 am | Permalink
Steven Lohr

1981 Fleer is a sentimental favorite. Marks the return of Fleer to the hobby after an absence dating back to 1963. Loved the way they put batting average or ERA in upper right corner on card backs.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:18 am | Permalink
Jason Taylor

My favorite set is definitely 1984 Topps baseball because that’s the first set that I ever collected. I was 10 years old, and every weekend my best friend and I would walk to the local High’s and buy 2 packs of cards and a Coke. That tradition created a lifelong Topps setbuilder, a concept that my son in beginnign to get interested in as well.

From mod: Winner via random selection.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:09 am | Permalink
dean beckstein

I am probably in the minority, but my favorite 80′s set is still 1987. It is the first set that I put together by hand and I love the wood borders.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:24 am | Permalink
k chisler

89 Upper Deck as it was the first premium set and included the Griffey Jr. rookie.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:41 am | Permalink

1980. The Rickey rookie is great, sure, but it’s a wonderfully appealing design.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 8:55 am | Permalink
C.L.

For sentimental reasons my favorite 80′s set is: 1988 Topps. The first baseball cards I every purchased was a box of 1988 Topps for $20. I bought and opened two packs in the card shop then decided to go big and buy the whole box. And the rest is history…

Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

Without a doubt it was 1989 Bowman, for several reasons.
1. It was my first wax box opened
2. Ken Griffey Jr. RC, it was the his only RC at the time I could afford and wanted
3. Smoltz/Avery RC, Braves’ fans know what I am talking about
4. My first Mickey Mantle #5 was from that set, and that was before I knew about reprints, so I thought I pulled a monster card.
It was a fun box.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink
Brian

I agree with the first comment. Nothing will ever beat ’87 Donruss. Such cool looking cards and great design not to mention an excellent checklist. ’84 is my second favorite Donruss set. My favorite modern Topps set is either ’87 or ’92. Fleer had some nice ones in 83, 85, 87 and 88. UD, obviously ’89. but I also like ’93.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink
Marvin

1985 Fleer is awesome. Awesome rookie cards and awesome colors. I played many games of checker baseball on the floor with my 1985 Fleers.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
Jason S. Perkins

1990 Upper Deck … was 12 and just started collecting cards … the local dealer suggested them, said it was ONLY the 2nd year they’d been produced … needless to say, I ONLY ripp(ed) packs so I have eleven (11) of the Cal Ripkens …

Most favorite 80′s set would be Topps … ’87 (Wood), ’88 (Orange), OR ’89 (Purple) … I sometimes get confused by the faces, so I always ask to see the back … IMMEDIATELY, I know what year they are based upon that. Then I’ll see the front again and remember the wood of the ’87′s, OR the angle in the bottom corner of the ’88′s, or the flag (wave) style of the ’89′s … Good Times, Good Times … too bad todays market is filled with GREEDY investors who don’t know the true feeling of pulling an Eric Greenwell from a 1987 Topps pack to have them only worth maybe a quarter years later. Actually went out and bought four (4) of them for $5.00 / Ea. with the $20 that my aunt paid me while visiting her in Fair Oaks, CA back in the day. A PURE LOSS today – YES!!! But the memories which is what we should ALL account for will NEVER be gone!!!!!

Posted May 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink
Matt Jumps

81 topps. one of my favorite dodger teams and like the set. i actually dig the ugly hat design

Posted May 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
Ben

I know I’ll be in a minority on this but my favorite 80′s set was 1989 Donruss. It was the first set I actively tried to complete when I was in elementary school. I always thought the shifting color bands at the top throughout the set was neat and thought the photography was clean and simple. I remember being so excited getting all the Rated Rookies not even realizing who Griffey or Johnson was at the time. I have no idea how many Spahn puzzle pieces I destroyed trying to get a puzzle that actually fit together. So yeah, that was the set for me and it, for better or for worse, hooked me on Donruss until it went bottom up.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
Chris Wardner

The 89 Upper Deck set has a special place in my collection. The Griffey Jr RC jump started ny serious move into collecting.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink
Randall

89 Upper deck. Out of the first four packs I bought, I pulled 2 Ken Griffeys. I was hooked after that.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
Paul Le Corre

I Would say Topps 1980 because I always wanted to open packs from by birth’s year.

Posted May 1, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink
Mark

5. 1987 Fleer-Very clean look, love ya’ blue
4. 1986 Donruss-’86 Donruss Dale Murphy is my favorite 1980′s baseball card
3. 1985 Topps-nice clean look, good rookies
2. 1983 Topps-love the two-photo throwback to 1963
1. 1984 Donruss-looks great, not over-produced

honorable mention: 1988 Fleer, 1987 Donruss, 1987 Topps, 1984 Topps, 1982 Topps

Posted May 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
Jason K

I have many favorites from the 80′s (for many different reasons)

88 Topps (first set I collected)
87 Topps (love the RCs and the wood borders)
89 Topps (very cool design and some fun errors to chase)
85 Topps (classic design and Olympic cards)
83 Topps (3 HOF Rookies, lots of other HOF’s and cool design)
86 Donruss (the blue borders looked ELECTRIC)
88 Donruss (2 words… Gregg Jefferies)
87 Fleer (for all of the reasons you said in the video)
89 Fleer (lots of errors and Griffey RC make up for the terrible design)
88 & 89 Score (loved the full color head shots on the back)
86-89 Sportsflics (Yeah, I said it. I actually put together an 89 set not too long ago just opening wax)
89 Upper Deck (innovation, lots of errors to chase and a good group of RCs including the card of the decade)

But I always loved the 89 Bowman set. It was the only set in 89 with TWO Griffey Jr cards. It was the beginning of Bowman bringing lots of rookies and prospects into the hobby. I thought the over-sized cards were awesome (even if I DID have to get special sheets just to store them in my binder). Lastly, when I was a kid, I remember thinking the reprint cards were just about the coolest thing on the planet.

Posted May 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink
justin sentner

My favorite was the 1989 topps because of the griffey rcs in the reg and tiffany

Posted May 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
steve c.

1985 Donruss Nice clean uncluttered design

Posted May 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
David

My favorite set of the 80′s is the 1983 Topps set. It resembled 1963 topps which I had a few of at the time (hey I was 10 years old – I only had a few 60′s commons in my collection). It was also the first set that I got full wax box of for my birthday. I had put together the 1981 and 82 sets by pack but it took all summer. When I got a whole box of packs, I remember the feeling of awe I had as I opened pack after pack. That was truly one of my best experiences as a collector. Doesn’t hurt that there are a lot of significant rookies in the set – Boggs, Gwynn, Sandberg, Viola and Gaetti amongst others.

Posted May 3, 2013 at 7:59 am | Permalink
Matt W

My favorite cards from 80s were 87 topps as that is when I really got started hobby and got the McGwire and Canseco rookies for Christmas.

Posted May 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink