Collectors crush Topps website for Turkey Red Football

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Card collectors, dealers – those looking to make a quick buck – ran to the Topps’ website to get boxes of 2012 Turkey Red Football. The cards went up around 10 a.m. and because of the rush to get the $25 boxes, the site crashed on Wednesday morning.

However, eventually, some got through and managed to make purchases until the product sold out in less than an hour.

This was one of Topps’ online exclusives. Collectors won’t initially find these in retail outlets. But it’s inevitable that card shop owners bought boxes from the site or other that managed to get some.

As of today, Blowout Cards is offering $35 for sealed boxes, which means if you got all 25 of the allotment per household, that’s $250 you can make right there.

But others are looking for more than that. A quick search on eBay yields about a dozen sellers with pre-sells of sealed Turkey Red boxes going from $90 to $40 with the median about $50 a box.

Turkey Red is an all-rookie product – 100 cards of the top (and not-so-top) rookies from the 2012 season. With one autograph in every box, many are hoping for $25 a box, they will be able to pull someone who can make them a bit of cash.

But they all can’t have Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck in them. Probably a Michael Egnew or two.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Football. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Bill Strong

Is it me or are these cards ugly as heck? I don’t care about value potential if they’re just horrible-looking.

Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink
chrisolds

I wasn’t all that impressed with the return of the Red to baseball, myself.

Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

As a Michael Egnew SUPER-COLLECTOR, I am offended by this blog post.

Posted April 3, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink
ddizzal

topps can keep that product, just shows they dont care about LCS who helped make them what they are! I guess when they all shut down topps can bury the extra cards they have for heat

Posted April 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink
Ed

Missed the Red Baseball, but I did help crash the website today.
Got my 10 boxes, and very happy I did.
Just to good of a Rookie Class to pass this up.

Selling out in less than an hour! That’s what happened last time.
Have any idea what the production run is?

Peace

Posted April 3, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Yes, I was in the middle of a small order (1 box) when it spun and spun and spun. No order went thru because then it was “SOLD OUT”-even though I had it in my cart!!! That was about 1050am. Nothing says “care for your customers” like a hyped product selling out in less than an hour even when it was in your customers cart.

If you got thru and got a confirmed order-I am happy for you. I had fun putting sets together with MINI baseball last summer, so I can’t fault anyone for their orders. But hey Topps, do you think you could have a bit more product next time??? I didn’t get thru from Turkey Red Baseball, I didn’t get thru for Turkey Red Football.

TOPPS-Do you know what a customer says when they come to your store a few times in a row looking for something and you don’t have it because it sells out ridiculously fast? “I’ll spend my money elsewhere”. There are other card companies out there.

Food for thought about this Turkey Red Sellout

Posted April 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

I can’t say what I think about Topps becasue the BECKETT moderater won’t allow it.
I was on the site and waiting to place order 10 MIN before 10 it went blink and then it was telling me it wasn;t availible or sold out that was from 3 min after to 10 to 15 after. A horrible idea by Topps and I can understand what the LCS think. It only serves the Massive resellers like blowout and others,I was lucky I guess that I got a Topps 2012 mini box when I did and it was up for a coupl e das befroe it sold out. This only serve one company Topps.
I know I’m not alone in my opinion and I really don’t care what Becket or Topps thinks.What I find ridiculous is the Baseball turkey red had a sell out at what it called a PRESELL how do you have a presell it you never have and actuall sell date. But we do have to give it to Topps for the online exclusive it sure is making them money.
It just REALLY aggrevates me I’m rethinking Buying any Topps products. AT the very least lower the amount per sale 25 per customer is too much it doesn’t beneffit those of us who can’t compete and thats the sad part TOPPS JUST doesn’t care anymore or if they ever did.

Posted April 3, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Really, Tom?

Posted April 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
David Brewer

This product sux. Idiots buying them all up to make 100 dollars? I wont be buying any from any resellers just like I didn’t buy any of the baseball because it sucked too. Big ups to Topps though, get that money!

Posted April 3, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Permalink