My first Registry is easily beatable … or is it?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary & Opinion

Sometimes, my grand ideas don’t aways go to plan.

Not long ago, I wrote about one of my rarest graded cards and how I planned to have it be among my first registered cards. I was wrong and I was as predictable as can be once I saw that the Beckett Graded Registry was live today. I went back to my well — and instead registered my toughest find.

My first registry is “For Major Leaguers only” and it’s for the toughest not-supposed-to-be-tough-set I know, the 1989 Major League Movie collection. You see, the Registry isn’t for just the 1952 Topps collectors of the world — it’s for any weird little niche you can find. And mine? Well, you all know by now …

I’ve seen just two factory-sealed sets show up on eBay in five years or so and I paid dearly for this one. I recently let the second go unsold on eBay because, while I want to own as many sets as possible, I’d rather not pay even more dearily (sure, that’s a word) for a second, even though it may have graded out even better than mine. (Why? I’m a bit like Jake Taylor in one regard … something about “league minimum.”)

I entered all 11 of my cards in the set and it’s an underachieving bunch if there ever was one. It’s an authenticated-only set — a move because I knew that the wear of just being shrink-wrapped for all those years since my set was handed to an extra at Milwaukee’s County Stadium during filming was not conducive to a Pristine 10. Or even a Gem Mint 9.5.  I knew that it wouldn’t be pretty — even though I treated my cards like Honus Wagner T206s as I carefully opened the set, so I opted for a move that meant all of the slabs had matching blue labels.

This morning, I entered all 11 cards and the Registry tallied up my points — 11 out of 111.1 possible. My set? Complete at 100 percent. Its GPA? A big ol’ zero.

But my position? No 1.

Now I’m pretty sure that there won’t be many collectors out there with these kinds of stats, but are there other collectors with graded copies of the set?

Well, according to the population report, there aren’t any. Not a single BGS 1 of the bunch, let alone any Pristine 10s.

So, for now, I definitely can say that my No. 1-ranking feels comfy.

My 1952 Topps ranking? Well, we’ll not even go there …

Look for more on sports-related entertainment collectibles in the upcoming Sports Movies Issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, which begins shipping to hobby shops on April 3.

Ben

The registry is live? I guess I know what I’m doing today.

Posted March 11, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink
Wally

It was working briefly this morning 3/11/13 then it was shut down again.

Posted March 11, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Today is a soft launch day. Updates will be made throughout day and it will be a full “go” at some point today. (I wrote the item while site was live to public.)

Posted March 11, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink
LivingDedMan

2 out of 3 cards I tried to enter were said to not exist, so I guess I’ll give it a few more days.

Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

It’s now live.

Posted March 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink
rick

I’ll trade you a 86 Donruss Canseco for that “Jake Taylor here”

Posted March 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Um, no … I have 150+ of the Cansecos and just one Jake. Good try, though!

Posted March 11, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
Rob Braxton

I’d still get’em graded. When I see ‘Authentic’, it makes me think ‘altered’ (even if that is not the case).
(In fact, I don’t even see the point of ‘Authentic’ labels, except for ‘altered’ cards.)

Either way, it’s good to be ‘King’.

Posted March 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
Rob Braxton

Ahh! GTK, thanks.

(Maybe a skull & crossbones logo would help make it more obvious.)

Posted March 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
Brad

The new registry is amazing and very simple to use. I put over 50 cards into it in less than ten minutes. However the kinks need a bit of work as I entered a few cards, they didn’t exist or came up as hockey cards. May not be the rgistry but the data entry at beckett. I have a graded Bob Feller 2010 Topps Sterling card that comes up Brooks Robinson. All-in-all, great and worth the wait. Now we need some contests.

Posted March 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink
Tyler

I have 15 different 1973 Topps cards that I bought from The Topps Vault as Vault File Copies and are certified Authentic by BVG as 1 of 1s. When I try to look up the serial number, it finds the card with the corresponding BGS number. I do not find these cards in the population report either. Is there a way to add these cards to my registry?

Posted March 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink
Rob Braxton

@Brad – Yeah! I had a few (soccer) entries that came up as the same hockey player over and over again.

Posted March 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink