Axl Rose to sign first certified autographs for Topps

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Welcome to the jungle.

Topps announced the headliner in its forthcoming 2013 Topps Archives Heavy Metal Autographs set on Tuesday, and it’s none other than Guns N’ Roses frontman Axl Rose.

It will be Rose’s first fully licensed trading card appearance and his first certified autograph as he has nothing listed in the Beckett.com database. The singer was an icon of the late-1980s and early 1990s as his band’s 1987 debut album, Appetite for Destruction, has sold more than 35 million copies worldwide while five other records sold more than 65 million copies total.

The 10-card  autograph set will be one of three additional insert sets to the previously announced 2013 Topps Archives release. There will be a standard version of the cards as well as one that will be limited to 25 copies and printed on metal.

Among the metal signers? Motley Crue‘s Tommy Lee, Skid Row‘s Sebastian Bach and Twisted Sister‘s Dee Snider.

Interest in the Rose autograph should be strong as PSA-authenticated autographs have strong asking prices and are not plentiful online.

Along with the arrival of Archives, Topps is planning a two-week hobby shop promotion where a limited number of 25-cent packs will be made available. These will include a parallel card only found in these packs. In addition, a Father’s Day promo will allow collectors to bring in a 1980s card and receive a free cello pack of 2013 Topps Series 2. Those packs will include parallels only found as part of this promotion along with randomly inserted autographs.

Topps also will be doing a redemption program tied to Archives where one redemption card will be found in every hobby box good for a throwback single-card pack with a 1950s-1980s card inside.

Here is the preliminary checklist for the Heavy Metal set as provided by Topps:

Heavy Metal Autographs
Sebastian Bach, Skid Row
Tommy Lee, Motley Crue
Kip Winger, Winger
Reb Beach, Winger
Lita Ford
Bobbie Brown from Warrant’s Cherry Pie video
Stephen Pearcy, Ratt
Scott Ian, Anthrax
Dee Snider, Twisted Sister
Axl Rose, Guns N’ Roses

rick

Why no Billy Corgan?!?!?!?!?! Now that would be awesome!

Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink
Tim

I wouldn’t get too excited. It will probably be a redemption and you will never get it.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink
Ian

how do i reserve this ?

Posted February 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Wtf? Don’t get me wrong, I love 80s metal as much as the next person, but the last thing I need in my baseball card packs is an autograph of Winger. Seriously Topps, stick to baseball.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

as always Axle probably will be late for the signing of the cards.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink
Brandon

Rick, if you even find yourself in the Chicago area, check out Corgan’s wrestling promotion, Resistance Pro. He’s at most of the events, hangs out after the show, and is semi-approachable.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
firemedic289

Billy Corgan? …….I don’t think he fits the profile of Heavy Metal.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink
rick

Hey brandon.. Thanks for the info.. Unfortunately I have been to 20+ pumpkins concerts and have paid premium for the backstage pass to meet the band. I am one of the biggest pumpkin heads ever and he has wanted nothing to do with me all four times 4 times I have been around him. And I wasn’t acting creepy either. Either way he will always be my hero.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Permalink
steve emerick

he might riot before he signs!

Posted February 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Permalink
Jay

This is another example of Topps catering to the thirty-something customer rather than the kids. We thirty year old collectors are already here, but the future of the hobby is bleak without bringing in the next generation of collectors. Seriously, how many 10 year old kids have heard of Winger or Anthrax?

Posted February 6, 2013 at 5:15 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Better than catering to the 60-plus-somethings with another 1950s set, ain’t it?

Posted February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink
chaz B23

i went to the same high school as billy bailey, aka axl rose. he actually donated over $100.000 to the school’s music program over the years

Posted February 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I think this is a very cool idea and have been hoping that musicians were going to get more of a spotlight on cards.

I pretty much detest Axl Rose and what he means for rock n roll. He gave it a giant black eye as far as I’m concerned.

But that is besides the point, the fact is if he does well, then Topps is more apt to get other bands and musicians on board.

And that would be something that I would be throwing my money at : )

Posted February 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
VoiceOfReason

If you don’t like it … Here is an idea…….. Do not BUY IT…….
Some sets are known to be a cross genre brand ala Goodwin AND Ginter…
Just because ONE person does not like It…. But I’ll bet buy it…. But come on a site just to blow off steam….
I know I for one like the cross genre stuff. Gives me a chance to get cards of people you might not.

And making it a cross genre brand makes it a wider range of buyers. People who can not buy a singer they like or a gold medalist they like BECAUSE those are not made like SPORTS CARDS……… Will also buy this.

I just think coming on a site to complain shows just how childish SOME people are……….

Posted February 7, 2013 at 6:36 am | Permalink
MICHAEL RUNYON

these would be cool. The lineup looks like my tape case from highschool/navy days. Minuse the winger but even they were not bad.

I wonder if Dee will sign any to my SMF