USPS bumps shipping costs to Canada

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

Canadian card collectors might have to spend more money to get cards shipped to them. The price of international shipping has gone up by the United States Postal Service, nearly doubling the costs.

Prices for shipping a bubble mailer will start around $6.55 to ship from the United States to Canada.

The price of the new postage also apparently includes delivery confirmation with First Class Mail International on packages sent to Canada.

The old price of shipping was around $3.30 for packages around two ounces, so collectors will have to dig deeper to get cards from the U.S.

Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook.

David Johnson

OUCH! That will definitely effect some trades on here, as it really won’t be worth it to do low end trades between the US and Canada.

Posted January 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
charles

This is totally WRONG,just came from my PO.I took a bubble mailer(6 inches X 91/2 inches)can’t be any larger than that and less than 3/4 inches thick.It was $1.55 for 2 oz.In a couple of days I’ll see what 3 oz. are.The old rate using an ebay label was $3.15. It’s $6.16 for 2 oz,but you get delivery conformation.
They have a gauge that they use.

Posted January 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink
afff

i will definantly start looking i Canada more for my singles that i need

Posted January 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
Derek

Gee I wonder why ther are so many hockey card collectors up here and very little baseball. There has got to be a better way of handling this. I understand why we tax things and the benefits but for goodness sakes can we not make this more affordable? Free trade? Ya right!

Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:18 am | Permalink
Ken Anderson

Ridiculous! I have a number of great repeat Canadian customers, who in all probability just became FORMER great customers! Thanks, USPS!

Posted January 29, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink
Anthony

Being in Canada, it’s been pretty expensive to ship to the US the last couple of years. I guess things finally caught up in America. Snail mail just isn’t cheap due to the declining volume.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink
kstjst

Unfortunately, I can’t trust customs…I just had yet ANOTHER priority box “disappear” going to customs. So I no longer deal internationally.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink
hockey-guru

I would understand if there was a small increase but to DOUBLE the shipping costs to Canada is absurd. Now you get delivery confirmation??? Give me a break you couldn’t dare send expensive items to Canada already unless you use Global Express. You couldn’t get insurance for more than $47 outside of the U.S. so if they can’t confirm delivery and your package gets lost and it was a high end card or hobby box your S-O-L. So now with this DOUBLE increase even the low end cards will no longer be worth trading or selling to Canada. Just another bloated Gov’t backed operation that can’t get the job done.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Permalink