Topps announces Silver Slate wrapper redemption

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

If you’re ripping into packs of 2013 Topps, save your wrappers.

Topps announced on Tuesday that it is offering packs of exclusive Silver Slate parallel cards to those who redeem their wrappers from Series 1.

For every 50 hobby or retail wrappers — or for 10 HTA jumbo wrappers — a collector will receive a five-card pack of Silver Slate cards. The entire 330-card set will be found in  these packs along with autographed cards that will include Ken Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan, Dylan Bundy and Cal Ripken Jr. to name a few.

There’s a limit of 10 packs per household and 10,000 packs total. Any mailings postmarked before Wednesday, the product’s official street date, will not be accepted.

Wrapper should be sent to:
Silver Slate Wrapper Redemption
PO Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642

kris

great news as i have already pre ordered a 2013 Topps Series 1 Baseball Jumbo HTA Box. at least if my box doesnt have any big hits i will have one more shot at something. nice to see

Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
d

kris? from benhambaseballcards?

Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink
kris

Posted January 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink
Keith Schimke

Can you mix Hobby and Retail wrappers to get to 50?

Posted January 29, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
Phil

I mixed Jumbo wrappers and regular size Hobby wrappers in the past, I don’t see why you could not mix all wrappers, as long as there are 50 in each group. Topps seems to be pretty decent when it comes to that.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

While I do appreciate these kinds of programs from the card companies, I liked the smaller set of cards idea from the last few years. All 330 series 1 cards are included in this promotion. Yes, the rare and random auto card will occasionally show up, or perhaps a star card like Harper above will show up in my pack, but if I rush to send in 50 wrappers before their allotment is gone, and get back 5 commons from series 1 (overall a pretty likely outcome), big wup. Yes, I know that there are only about 150 of each card based on the press release.

Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
RJ

Man, I wished I knew they were taking retail wrappers this time before I threw out four blasters’ worth last night. Dang!

Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink
chris woods

why let us know today,could have said something in the last week,or 2 as now it will be to late to send them in for anyone to have a good chance at getting any i could have saved my retail wrappers from yesterday (monday) or today….thanks topps

Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:41 am | Permalink
Nathan Sease

what are HTA jumbo wrappers.????..rack pack 36 ct

Posted January 30, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink
James

HTA are the wrappers from Jumbo boxes which come 10 packs per box, 50 cards per pack.

Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink
James

Some people will complain about anything. They do a wrapper redemption every year. Unless you just started collecting why wouldn’t you save them, in case they announce it? Since the series was not supposed to be available until 1/30 Topps has been clear that they don’t want them leaking out early so since you shouldn’t have had them on Monday or Tuesday why should they announce it any earlier? Especially since everyone knew they would have a wrapper program.

Posted January 30, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink
Andy

James, just about every Wal-Mart and Target in the country has had them on the shelves since at least Monday.

Posted January 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink
Richard

James
Thank you,people stop complaining its getting old.Topps keep doing your thing.Thanks for the redemption.

Posted January 31, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink
MD

Can you use wrappers from rack/jumbo packs?

Posted January 31, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink
Josh Irizarry

Can you combine the retails packs and the hooby packs?

Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink
Andrew PItts

I am just getting back into collecting after a lengthy absence. With the wrapper redemption, what else do you send in with your wrappers? I assume name and address, but how and with anything else? Also, I’m realizing that eBay is a great way to buy and sell. Problem is I am also new to eBay and therefore have no feedback. Many sellers (and I imagine buyers) won’t deal with a newbie. Any advice on how to deal with this? Thank you in advance.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
James

Andy, I was checking my local Super WalMart and Super Target daily since 1/26. At least the WalMart in my area of Tampa did not get them in until 1/30. The Target near me didn’t even have them on 1/31, so not all of these stores had them early.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Great deal, considering I just picked up my first retail box today. Great collation this year (9 base doubles, 1 mini double). 90 cards from base set completion, picking up another on Monday, along with 2 extra packs for this wrapper redemption.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Permalink
Jason K

I’m a little disappointed to see that rack pack wrappers are not included in this. If they are allowing retail wrappers, there is no reason they shouldn’t include rack packs (especially for people like me who purchased a whole rack box). I sent my 18 rack pack wrappers and a single retail wrapper in on Friday (I figure the worst that will happen is they don’t send me anything… It only cost a buck to send them). I’ll post something here if I get anything back.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink
Adam B.

Do the jumbo rack packs count as 1 or 2 packs ?

Posted February 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink
Robert

When will the packs be sent?

Posted March 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink
stellarbowler

Has anybody bothered to notice just how rare Silver Slate cards will be (these cards are parallels, after all, not inserts) and how difficult it will be to make a set? By my math, 10,000 packs at five cards per pack is 50,000 cards, divided by 330 cards in the set makes a grand total of 151.51 sets, a very low number indeed. In other words, it will be much tougher to build a base set of these vs. last year’s Topps Mini, which had about 20 times as many sets possible, or nearly 2,800. Something to ponder as you rip open your packs. I think I’ll leave mine sealed for a while, as I see these skyrocketing immediately once people realize their scarcity. And this is only Series 1!

Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:54 am | Permalink
stellarbowler

…and my prior post forgot to mention the autograph chase factor, guaranteed to heighten the frenzy considerably…

Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:59 am | Permalink
Wm Dornheim

I have sent in three packiages for silver slate and have not seen any thing in return can you tell me what topps is doing . i have one more to send in but do not want to spent the money if i am not going to get the pack that i am supposed to receive .

Posted March 13, 2013 at 5:09 am | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

Don’t send anymore in. Topps made an announcement on its Twitter a while back that the redemption was closed, however, it has not sent out the redemption packs yet and will make another announcement when it is ready to do so.

Posted March 13, 2013 at 9:43 am | Permalink
Wm Dornheim

Thank you for the info. I do not have twotter only have favebook

Posted March 14, 2013 at 4:58 am | Permalink
Wm Dornheim

here it is april 4th and still have not received my silver slate packs what is going on with topps

Posted April 4, 2013 at 5:02 am | Permalink
ryan thomas

I wish they would work on getting their redemptions mailed out and up to date rather than scamming people to spend MORE money for worthless pack

Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:33 am | Permalink
Shane

6-6-13 and still no packs, i bought 2 cases and had them sent in within 2 days of release, WTH topp’s?

Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink