First look: 2012-13 Panini Marquee

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

Panini America has yet another new basketball brand up its sleeve in this, the post-lockout full card year of 2012-13.

It’s Marquee, and it will include marquee-worthy printing tricks when it arrives later this year.

The tricks? They start with Panini’s “Swirlorama” and also includes laser-cut cards and holographic film board. In all, there will be five rookie subsets in the main set each with different printing technologies used.

Hobby boxes will include 20 packs, three autographs and 35 Rookie Cards from a 150-card base set. A selection of the rookies will be signing for this product as has been the case throughout this season with its double-RC class.

Insert-wise, there will be 10 insert sets to chase — five of those signed — with a coach’s autograph set among the notables and Election Night autographs showcasing Hall of Famers.

The Swirlorama will be applied to the Slam Dunk Legends insert, while acetate also returns with the Champions insert, a 20-card release. The previously mentioned laser-cut cards will be  rookies, while the Stars of the Night inserts will be printed on black holographic board.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Brad

More garbage from the garbage mill.

Posted January 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
George

That looks pretty horrible. I know that Upper Deck got in trouble for counterfitting, etc, but at least they used to make high quality cards. I think we need one standard, nice quality set, a mid range set. perhaps some super high end set and maybe one gimmick set, but what is the difference between Timeless Treasures and Limited?? why would anyone get both? Why is hoops printed on such crappy stock? Prizm was interesting, but serously… Absolute was an absolute mess, the quality of the patches and prime patches was low, foil board mania with Certified. I honestly do not get it. I love basketball, but am crushed that NBA continued an exclusive with a company with so little interest in the fan, and no push for quality. Panini…. stick to stickers: the only thing you produce well.

Posted January 20, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink
JV

I’m with you, George. I want to collect basketball cards again, but every product this year looks crappy. I miss Topps Finest.

Posted January 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink
Chris Houser

Ok is Panini stealing product names because Topps has a baseball product with the same name I fear a law suit coming

Posted January 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
Ryan

Instead of producing so many lousy and uninterestingly boring basketball sets, they should increase the wages of the staff that produce this stuff ( photo editor etc.) to a wage they could survive on. If they cut back a minimum of 5 of these craptastic sets and gave the staff a raise from 13 bucks you might see some better quality products. Right now this stuff is coming from a sweat factory.

Posted January 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
Richard

I really don’t see anyone all that excited about Basketball this year.
There is no compelling story just yet.
Frankly, this set looks like nothing I’d want to deal with.
They have a fairly decent hit on their hands already, Prizm.

The last time I was personally excited was when I saw the self contained video player cards.
Never pulled one, but at least it was new. There is nothing I see here I did not see in the 90’s.
Except, oh yeah, those had hard signed autographs.

Posted January 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink
Winston

Hey Panini, with all the money you robbed from the collectors, why don’t you hire more staff to give us our redemption cards faster? So I don’t have to wait for 1 to 2 years just to get my “Doug Collins” autograph card. I also have over 40 redemption cards waiting forever; I will never redeem these darn cards again. We open a case and there was not one superstar auto? Just a bunch of common players whom you paid cheap to scribe their names on stickers. That was $1000 for a bunch of crappy auto cards. I will never buy a case again, only some packs. I hope every collector does this.

Posted April 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink