Ripping Retail: An old wax conundrum

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he discusses a problem with some older wax packs in this Ripping Retail video.

What will he find inside? Watch and find out …

Robert

I opened a box of 1991 Topps Stadium Club Football nearly two years ago and some packs had this issue.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink
Raymond Jones

1991 Stadium Club Football was one of the worst. Opened a box, and of course the Favre rookie got spot damaged.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink
zotster

Not throwing stones here, but it’s funny … I once suggested to a different Beckett editor that someone should do a story on just this issue – especially highlighting which sets are most prone to this type of thing. The answer I got was that most people already knew about it and kept all their cards in plastic sheets anyway, so no one would be interested. But as you point out in the video, there’s plenty of unopened wax out there that’s practically worthless once someone opens it – and personally, I keep most of my sets in boxes rather than sheets.

Among Topps regular-issue baseball sets, I’ve found 2003 is the biggest problem. They stick together pretty hard and the blue borders make separation damage obvious. Other Topps sets from about 1998-2005 or so also tend to be sticky, but I’ve found that (so far) I’ve been able to separate the cards reasonably easily with no noticable damage, except for that 2003 set. After years in storage, my 2003 Topps set was stuck like glue and had damage on nearly every card after separating them. I ended up getting a new 2003 factory set and while the cards were a little sticky, I was able to separate them without damage – then put the whole set in sheets (the only regular-issue Topps set I keep that way now).

The worst I’ve seen is the 1992 Classic Football Game set. A seemingly hard-to-find set to begin with, I got two sealed sets in one auction a few years back and both were stuck together in a bad way. I kept just a few singles that I managed to salvage without much damage, but threw the rest away.

I’d still love to see an article about this, warning collectors which sets to watch out for. I just recently bought some unopened packs of cheerleader cards from 1993 and had the same problem, so it’s not an issue that’s ever going to go away.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink
tom waldron

Have to say the TIGER WOODS BOXES tall rc’s horribl had a lot of those with poor Tiger Woods the bottom card . I once tries to put the whole set in the freezer 1st fo about 15-20 min. Mixed results.
After all those boxes had not much stability either and the set could slide around.
Just my little experice on old wax. It’s a shame too because those wonderful 96/97 Skybox basketball has some nice auto’s the very same Authentix in the New -FLEER RETRO.
thanks Chris and all those at Beckett Merry christmas to all .
Tom w

Posted December 23, 2012 at 12:44 am | Permalink
bearcatlawjd

The mid 90s Leaf, Donruss, Studio, Ultra, and Stadium Club products will sometimes have these problems. Topps’ flagship sets from that period hold up well except for centering problems. I didn’t have any issues with Chrome, Bowman, Collector’s Choice, and few other products from the 1990′s.

In terms of cheaper 1990′s wax I like these sets 1993 Topps, 1994 Topps, 1996 Topps, 1993 Triple Play, 1995 Collector’s Choice SE, and 1994 Collector’s Choice. (1994 Topps has one my favorite cards of that era, 1994 Topps Gold Shortstop prospects, one of the four guys is Jeter.

The Donruss-Leaf products have some great cards but you almost have to wait until 1997 or 1998 because of the gloss issues. Upper Deck and Topps products seem to hold up well too.

Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Back in the day Stadium Club was bad. I’m more of a Racing trading card collector/dealer. Be careful with the early 2000′s Press Pass Premium sets. The Mid 90′s Fleer Ultra/Flair set’s were horrible when it came to sticking on their racing sets.

Posted December 25, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink