Box Busters: 2012 Bowman Sterling baseball

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he rips into a box of 2012 Bowman Sterling baseball cards in this Box Busters preview video.

What will he find inside? Watch and find out …

John

That Dahl #’d/ 25 is huge! 10th overall draft pick last year and nice .379/ .423/ .625 in Rookie League, nice hit.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
@BallCard_Blog

i don’t know who is hot right now money wise, but for me the best auto was Devon Marrero. I am a little biased being a Red Sox fan. I’m not really a big fan of sterling. No big reason. It’s just not my cup of tea. My only gripe about this years is the fact that the packs are just loose in the over-sized box.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink
Jim DeCriscio

Ive never been a big fan of bowman sterling, but i think they got it right this year. last year the autos looked like little more than glorified base cards. at least this year most are on card and have their own design. i like the horizontal cards making for the larger auto space like you said. that ty hensley is nice. but probably a little too expensive for me to buy an entire box. maybe a pack or two. thanks for the video chris

Posted December 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
Matt Harwood

David Dahl is the best prospect in that bunch.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink
Elijah Eisele

Some of the prospects you want to look for:
David Dahl
Francisco Lindor
The Dylan Bundy
Joey Gallo
Billy “Stealing Home” Hamilton
Albert Almora

Posted December 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
kris

i think lindor yankees pitcher mullens and the braves pitcher. braves always have decent pitching prospects as do the yankess and heard of lindor.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
Dan Steighner

The Sterling is sharp this year as it is in past years . For the price you are paying you would like the results you got in return. The D Dahl #/25 Auto and B Harper base #/199 are your biggest headliners in the box. Everything else is second tier with you crossing your fingers that the prospect at least makes it to AAA. F Lindor is a nice base auto as well as D Straily. L Simms is cool gold refractor but getting any premium on the card is years away depending on development. Overall I would say you broke even on your box with Harper/Dahl and the rest of the cards you would just take what you could get if you are not storing them in a shoebox for the next 5 years.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Permalink
Kris Bon

not bad looking but to high risk for me at this price range. at least you get 3 autos per pack

Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink
Aaron

My dad, daughter and I saw Tyler Thornberg pitch in Miller Park this past season and, although I am biased, He looked pretty good both out of the pen and in a spot start.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
John Seidenberger

Like the product. Sharp looking. The best card in my opinion is the Dahl. Especially numbered to 25.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink
Bret

Chris-

Def like the design but I worry about the names I’ve seen pulled on other breaks as well. David Dahl is by far the best you got, I bought 3 boxes of bdpp hoping to get him. The thing that worries me about sterling though is at $300 you really need to get a big hit to get your money back because a lot of those guys you could get for $10 in auction, so if you just like ink there are more affordable ways to do it. Plus, a guy like carson Kelly I pulled from USA baseball last year or so, his sig was much better in a $10 blaster than a $50 pack. Strohman I thought was busted for peds if I remember, so its hard to get excited for ink on guys that truly may never make it. I know high risk and high reward, but this product seems too be too risky, but props on Dahl, I’m jealous of him. Ironic too the best prospect has the best auto. Keep up the great work.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

i love the design of these cards! i never ever buy high end but i have bought 3 packs of this and i just want more. love the sleek modern design and colors. I hope they do more like this. Finest is ok but it still looks cheap. these look premium. I think they should just get rid of platinum all together actually. Cheap feeling cards and cheap design this year.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink
Evan

Out of all the cards you pulled, I am the most excited about Francisco Lindor. I am originally from the Cleveland area, so I have been a tribe fan all my life. I’m hoping that Lindor can follow in the footsteps of Omar Vizquel. Its hard to get excited about sports in Cleveland, but an infield consisting of Lindor and Asdrubal Cabrera is sounding mighty fine to me. Plus Lindor is ranked as the #13 top prospect according to MLB.com, so for the right now, that is something to be excited about.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink
larry miller

the dahl is the money card from the whole box. the harper is very sweet. and the gold auto is not too shabby either, most of the names/ autos iam not too sure on but the product looks very solid.

Posted December 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink
Greg Thompson

I’ll have to agree with the other people here that the Dahl is the biggest pull of the bunch, as of right now. That very well could change by the end of next season.

Posted December 28, 2012 at 1:26 am | Permalink
Steve Lum

I am not much of a prospector. It seems like everyone is high on the Dahl Auto, so that seems like your biggest hit. The Harper is obviously a big name pull even without the auto.

For me, as a Bay Area native and A’s fan. The Strailey Auto is a big hit. He came out of nowhere as a prospect last year and if I’m right I believe he led the minors in strikeouts. Pitching at the Coliseum he should have a chance at success if he can crack the rotation.

That’s the card I’d want (hint, hint) if you do end up dropping any of these cards in the mail:)

Posted December 28, 2012 at 2:27 am | Permalink
Nick Roos

That David Dahl is a monster hit from my perspective, but then again, he’s the guy I’m collecting from this set of prospects, so I’ve spent a good chunk of change on box and case breaks of Draft and Sterling this year chasing him.

Lindor, like you mentioned, is highly touted and should be a big league starter in no time. Marrero, like a commenter said, is a pretty big deal. He was on track to be be a top 5 draft pick but stopped hitting in his final college season. Henlsey was on more than one top-ten available list heading into the 2012 draft but slipped due to signability issues, which was not a problem for the Yankees even with the new slotting system (shocker, i know). The Red Sock and the Yankee are both excellent prospects to hold and follow.

Same for Lucas Sims. He’s always been good and been playing for USA baseball internationally since he could walk. The Braves know what they’re doing with young pitchers, so that gold is a good get.

In the set, like somebody said, Billy Hamilton is a big chase card, but he’s not selling as well as Mike Zunino at the moment, the Mariners top pick who made an even bigger splash than Matt Wieters once did in his first minor league run. Some other guys to chase on the loaded checklist: Albert Almora, Nick Castellanos, Addison Russell, Courtney Hawkins, Joey Gallo, Lewis Brinson, Kevin Gausman, Kyle Zimmer, Gerritt Cole, Bubba Starling, Dylan Bundy–not to mention all the dual autos. I’ll be trying to find and Almora, Baez dual somehow. Anyway, lots of consensus top 100 prospects (many without a glut of autographs on the market yet) to be found. Perhaps it’s obvious by now, but I think 2012 Sterling Baseball might be my favorite product of any sport ever.

Happy hunting during your next trip out into the wild : )

Posted December 28, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink
Pete

As was already stated, the Dahl is a keeper. Sims (Braves) and Hensley (Yankees) were both First Round picks in this year’s draft, and throw in the mid-to-upper 90′s, so they warrant some interest in the coming years. Thanks for the preview video, Chris. It has piqued my interest in Sterling.

Posted December 28, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink
William Gareau

The Dahl Black refractor /25 is definitely the best pull. I love this product this year, however, in the packs I have pulled I have noticed some cards have significant surface scratches. I pulled an Andrew Heaney black refractor auto that had numerous surface scratches. I guess that you are going to get that with the hard signed cards.

Posted December 28, 2012 at 8:09 am | Permalink

great looking cards. I like the design High priced for a collector on a budget though. I like the three Cardinals pulls because thats my team and who I collect. The Dhal black refractor is the sweetest pull of the bunch. I’d like any of the Cardinals autos if i get selected for a free auto. Keep up the good work Chris!!!!!!!,

Posted December 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink
Randall

A little too high risk for me. I liked the Rizzo/Baez card but that wasn’t the auto version. So I didn’t get too excited on any of the pulls. But that is the great thing about prospects. You just never know who will make an impact at the major league level.

BTW Chris, you should have guest box-busters so you don’t have to fly solo. I live near Houston. I would gladly make the drive to Beckett HQ. You should have a contest and have people send in a video of themselves opening a box of cards. Best one or two get to be a guest. What do you think of that?

Posted December 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink
Matt

Nice looking cards, especially like all the number of autos per pack. Being from New England and getting to see him play in Lowell, Deven Marrero has a shot to be the SS in Boston down the road.

Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
jarod scoggin

No doubt that the Dahl is the prize of that box but I would be plenty happy with that Harper. Not for $300 but it is a nice card none the less. Have some of this coming and I’m pretty disappointed at the value vs price point. I am certainly not a high end buyer/collector and I guess that explains my trepidation.

Posted January 2, 2013 at 1:35 am | Permalink
k chisler

Dahl was a nice pull number wise, like the gold autographed card as well. Harper and the Rizzo dual card were nice for the base cards. Overall a good looking product but a bit pricey for the average collector.

Posted January 4, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I just purchased a box of Bowman Sterling. I was very pleased to pull a 1/1 duel Canary Diamond Refractor autograph of Mike Trout/Bryce Harper. This is the best looking card I have ever pulled.

Posted January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink