Beckett Certified Appraisal launches

Beckett Media is proud to announce Beckett Certified Appraisal, an exciting new service that will give values to rare and unique cards.

There are cards don’t have values in Beckett’s price guides based on scarcity, but this new service will have the Beckett Price Guide analysts research sales data and market trends to give values to cards such as those with low print runs, show exclusives or graded cards with a low population report.

Beckett Certified Appraisal will analyze data to get a fair assessment of a card’s value.

To take part in the service, customers do not need to send in their cards. They email images and can choose either a one- or five-day service up to five cards starting at $15. Customers will receive a certificate as a PDF file in return.

To learn more about BCA, click on the link.

“We’ve been asked for years to provide a service that fills the gap for pricing of scarce, low print-run cards and high-end graded cards that carry low populations. Finally, it has arrived!” said Beckett Senior Market Analyst Dan Hitt. “These types of cards are usually beyond the scope of the Beckett Price Guides since they are too unique to price with our standard methodology. However, we have a decades worth of stored market sales data at our disposal to assist with valuations and this will enable us to accurately appraise even the rarest of sports cards.”

“Whether it be a 1/1 printing plate, a signed patch card of a superstar serial numbered to three, or a BGS Gem Mint 9.5 with a population of just two, we can now provide collectors with an appraisal valuation,” Hitt added.

Nathan

This is cool, but if it takes into account market trends, the values are going to fluctuate obviously. Which then in my mind makes this a rather pricey addition unless its for veterans or HOF players. RCs will go up and down like crazy.

Posted December 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink
Kevin St. J

Even sketch cards?

Posted December 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
steve d donaldson

Great now we can buy and sell 1/1 cards at 33% of more Beckett prices.

Sign me up!!!!!!

Posted December 21, 2012 at 5:59 am | Permalink
Matt Gilman

Will the certificate numbers be able to be looked up on the site? Otherwise it’s extremely easy to fake/alter a PDF document and this service would be essentially useless.

Posted December 21, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

Even the price guide analysts feel they can get a price for a card, including a sketch card, they will do it.

Posted December 21, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

Yes, there will be a type of database with all the certificate numbers on the site.

Posted December 21, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink
Josh

No offense, but how will this be more reliable than doing an eBay search? And I share the same concern as some others – how will the dollar value be determined? Beckett’s current system is flawed (unless you make a conscious decision to never spend more than usually 50%, sometimes 75% of Beckett’s high BV on a card).

And how would you handle this situation? I recently pulled a triple threads white whale. It wasn’t a player I collect, so to sell it, I did some research on eBay. The sale prices for various very similar white whales were $80-230. I started with a buy-it-now/OBO of $300 – no offers over $100. Eventually I listed it for a straight $150 – it sold. What would Beckett’s appraisal be?

Posted December 21, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink
Richard

I think its not a bad idea, but it would be better to show the raw values used to calculate it.
In other words, “show your work”.
If you find 10 recent sales of a card #’d to 25 a few years a go and the player’s base cards
have since risen/fallen you can present the reasoning.
Likewise a 1/1 card of a player of the same level (including age, stats, team popularity, RC or not)
in the set sold can be used for a decent basis point.
Please don’t base anything on prices being asked as they are worthless
Only actual confirmed sales have real value. I see people asking for the moon all the time, and then
see the same card sold by someone else for a pittance.
Additionally, cards sold when the players name is misspelled in the auction listings need to be taken into
account since they are picked up for less than actual value. Likewise a card that is a rare variation
mistakenly listed as an easier version. etc.
Also, is the value presented going to be “market value” or is it going to be “retail price”.

Posted December 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
Zurbs18

This is a total cash grab. There is no way the price of anything assessed in this manor does not change over the course of a few years. Unless each assessment is redone for free every six months there is no way in hell I would ever take part in this.

Posted December 24, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink
Keith

My comment is if there isn’t enough market data to provide pricing in the guide, how is there enough market data to provide pricing as an additional service? The pricing is nothing more than a guess on anything with no market data. I can give you a guess too, and it won’t cost you anything, but then you won’t get a nice PDF.

Posted December 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
James Yellis

This is cool, now I can get all my low numbered card a real value! Great job Beckett

Posted December 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink
LivingDedMan

I have interest in this if I can find an insurance company that will insure me for the value of my cards that these appraisals state.

Does anyone know any insurance companies that insure sports cards?

Posted December 31, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink
Susan Lulgjuraj

I’ve never used them, but they advertise in Beckett magazines, Collectibles Insurance Services. http://www.collectinsure.com/

Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink
Jim

So all you are doing is search eBay completed listings for people and then charging them for it?

Go to admit, great business move. 5 minutes of work of tons of profit.

Got to pay for that worthless price guide somehow.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink