Your Turn (BSCM Game-used Issue) — What are your thoughts on memorabilia cards these days?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

In an upcoming issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, we’re going to explore the world of game-used cards and memorabilia.

While we haven’t yet ironed out all of the items we’ll have inside this year’s edition of The Game-used Issue — there are lots of options — one thing we know we do want is to hear from you. We want to know a few things about what you think about game-used, what you collect and how you collect.

Give us your name and location and answer the following six questions … we’ll run a selection of the most-interesting answers in the issue.

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect?

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer?

4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards?

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards?

6.  Do you have anything else to add about the world of game-used … or is there more you want to know about?

Please feel free to add more in your comments. Also, feel free to add links to photos of your collection.

Are you a game-used item or card SuperCollector? Submit your info using the instructions here.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Richard

1) Richard, I no longer actively collect pure game used stuff anymore.
It has to be either old school, meaning back when they actually would state/guarantee its real or it has to be autographed (on card) or a RC.

2) It has to be an item that works well with the card design.

3) I have had my trust lowered a lot lately. I no longer trust vintage material cards for deceased players. I will trust an on card signed by a living player (not sticker from dead one) since that always has some intrinsic value to me and there is a chance the player might balk at signing “fake” memorabilia (at least I hope so.)

4) I kind of like the Team USA stuff. the hat/patch cards numbered to 5 and the like.

5) Make them take pictures of the items used and specifically state what the provenance is.
A uniform direct from a player carries more weight than one that has gone through many hands.
What Leaf Metal did with the Ichiro patches, where each card was individually displayed online to prevent
tampering with after the fact is pretty awesome. I’d rather they make stuff rarer and ensure that its
real than just provide something every box.

6) Nothing I have not said before. Without a solid COA, I won’t touch an item. Put up or shut up.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink
larry

They are way overproduced and not even authentic anymore. Just worthless cards.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
Nick Landry

1) Nick from Massachusetts. I collect any kind of game used cards I can get.

2) I like relics that are unique like laudry tags, buttons, or jumbo patches.

3) I don’t really trust any card companies when it come to authenticity because of all of the fake memorabelia out there. But, it doesn’t really matter to me if they are authentic or not because as a player collector, I want a copy of every card available and if it is fake, I still want it.

4) My favorite set for memorabelia cards is Topps Unique because they have interesting swatches like buttons, logomen, laundry tags, majestic logos, and jumbo patches.

5) I would like to see companies like Topps use a variety of different swatches in their upcoming products. Nobody likes pulling a plain white jersey card. You hardly ever see peices of cleetes, balls, bases, dirt, buttons, or socks in the most recent releases. It is also dissapointing that some companies don’t say what the relic is any more so you have no idea what game used item you have.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink
Joe

1. Joe – New York.
I only have a few game used (not sport cards) items. I have a Carl Crawford bat, Jeff Kent bat (autographed), Robinson Cano batting glove pair (both autographed), Ken Griffey Jr batting glove (autographed), Kirby Puckett batting glove, Jose Canseco batting glove, Amooni Toomer game issued (can’t confirm usage) jersey, Ellis Burke batting practice jersey and Gregg Jefferies jersey. I just purchased a Tiki Barber Jersey (Blue home jersey). This was to somewhat complete my Tiki Barber collection (not all are scanned)
– over 95 autographed cards http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/Calicokid18/Tiki%20Barber%20Collection/Autos/?start=all)
– over 52 jersey cards http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/Calicokid18/Tiki%20Barber%20Collection/Jersey/?start=all).

2. I prefer jerseys and gloves. They are easy to display. Next on my wish list is a Hakeem Nicks and Jason Motte (Iona) jersey to go with my collection (not all not scanned) http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/Calicokid18/Hakeem%20Nicks%20PC/?start=all

3. I trust the authentication from the NFL teams. There are many jerseys that you can get direct from the team with their own certificate. Also, if you know the tags that you are looking for, the patches on the jersey that year, the type of jerseys worn, etc. it helps.

4. No. I never really was into collecting game used cards, for it gets mixed up with manufactured patches and rookie premiere worn. I would always prefer to save up and spend the money on a FULL game used item. Not one cut up to put on the cards.

5. Over the past few years, many of the athletes sell their game used items through specific outlets. When buying from them directly, it gives you piece of mind that the item is authentic. Also, many times, people don’t realize how cheap a full item can be. For the price that you spend of 3 or 4 boxes of Topps chrome football, I could buy a full jersey of a player I like.

6. Learning more about the specific tags on the jerseys, the bat models the player used, how to photo match the item (best place to get pictures). Educating the collecting audience goes a long way.

Don’t know if you can say I am a super collector. I did finish the 2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Status (#/100 non-auto) set this year. Took me 3 years to do so. I also have the 2007 Topps Finest Baseball master set (all autographs except the 1 of 1’s) http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/Calicokid18/2007%20Finest/?start=all .
Also have the 2008 and 2009 Topps Finest baseball autos (base, refractor, green and blue). I stopped when they started with the patches.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink
Osvaldo

I think GU ruined the hobby also the 1/1’s. It is only good for Topps who control the market. Having an excuse so fans waste money. Also having so much GU and so many sets an autos devaluate the market. Nowdays is not enough having the baseball card, now people need more, so they pay more.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink
Chris Houser

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect?
My name Is Chris Houser. I am from Scottsdale AZ, I am a KC Royals super collector..

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer?
I prefer Baseball mostly but if Im in a good mood I do get football.

I trust Topps because they’ve never let me down once
4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards?
I feel Billy Butler and Bo Jackson when it comes to this kind of stuff

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards?

I would change the numbering for the non patches and make them feel a little more high end

I think they should only put redemption for the rare low numberd star players INSTEAD of commons and make it 1 per case depending on the product.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink
Bill

I love truly unique patches that are game worn and not event worn. I think the card companies should not even produce event worn cards anymore, as the word is out about the word event worn and how little it was touched, et. by the player in question.

I think the card companies need to post on their website’s the history and authentication of the material used in the cards and where it came from (i.e. 2008 – New York Yankees – Rodriguez – Source – Steiner). Or pictures on the back of the cards of the piece before it was cut up, et. I think there is a large credibility problem with game used these days, both original from the card company and after market with counterfeits, et.

As I think lots of collectors are asking the questions: “How do we really know?’ that it is authentic and not bought from the local sporting goods store or just a period jersey versus one worn by Ruth, Ryan, et.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
Antonio

Did anyone notice the hat patch in the jersey panel and the jersey letter in the hat patch panel?
Topps quality control hard at work as usual.
Why not give out a redemption for the actual jersey rather than ruining a piece of ACTUAL memorabilia to create a few pieces of worthless scrap?

Posted October 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Used to collect heavily back when they were not some stupid manufactured crap. Back then, you knew if it was a jersey or pants or whatever. Now, the material doesnt even have to be connected with the person on the card. What a waste, and what a wonderful way to destroy any chance of getting younger collectors interested.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Some of you, I agree with. Others, I definitely don’t.

Carry on.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
carlos olivares

I can tell you that austin jackson card is an error. The star patch is suppose to be the game used hat patch from a throwback game and not a jersey letter so the patches are misplaced on the card. Companies need to do a better job identifying these things. I see errors on game used cards all the time.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink
shawn davis

Shawn davis. Enterprise, alabama.
collect baseball memorabilia. Pull atleast 10 to 15 a season. Love topps 2001 tribute. Nicest set ever. Lots of jeter and yankees. Trusted donruss the most. Only buy early memorabilia cards off ebay and ones graded by bgs. Think to many are made. Got over 300 mem cards. Miss the old days with cool inserts and die cuts. Still confused on some rookie cards from 06 07 sets. Hate prospect cards and cards with rookie on them and not really rookies. Would like to see another loose set or a set dedicated to awesome playes with great photos. Like when melky caberera made that catch to save the 5 game sweep of the sox. Don’t really think the hobby can go ahead much more. Done everything. Maybe should redo some nice 90s technology.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink
bill johnson

i dont collect many of the “game used stuff. i like the manufactured patches and have several of them from both topps and upper deck. i also collect the letterman patches, the whole game used term has took a terrible turn with the guy selling regular jerseys to the card companys.

Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink
Jason Taylor

My name is Jason Taylor and I live in Fallston, MD. I’ve stopped collecting memorabilia cards because I don’t know if I’m getting Cal Ripken’s Jersey from his slide in to home plate in Baltimore, or Cal Clifton from New Jersey who’s doctoring shirts in his home so he can make a few bucks from Topps. It’s a shame, because in theory it’s a way to bring fans closer to the game, but without appropriate safeguards and on-card guarantees then I’d rather put my money into autograph cards. They’re easier to authenticate.

Posted October 12, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

The image at the top of the article is the very reason that I don’t care about GU cards anymore. The “jersey letter” appears to be from a hat (Negro League Throwback), the “Hat Logo” is definitely from a jersey. The fact is, these cards just aren’t interesting any more, and their prevalence makes them feel less and less special. Not to mention the uncertainty about the origins of the Memorabilia and their actual “game used” status.

Conversely, the AS patch cards from 2012 Topps Update look great.

At this point, a nicely designed card is all I look for, and whether it has a piece of jersey or not is inconsequential. Many times, I would rather NOT have a jersey card, because I think it makes the card look worse. For me, the only value of the game used stuff at this point is the fact that it is often inserted into otherwise uniquely designed cards (see: A&G Framed Minis), and I would prefer to go after those cards WITHOUT the swatch, in all honesty.

Posted October 12, 2012 at 9:28 am | Permalink
Sean McKee-Parks

Sean from San Lorenzo, CA. I collect baseball and some football cards.

I used to collect baseball and 49ers game used cards but after reading about the fakes out there. I also realized for a couple bucks more I can get an autographed card instead of just a little piece of jersey.

I no longer trust the “game used” term with card companies for one fact. Rookies have game used cards with their jerseys in it, yet have not even stepped foot on the field.

I don’t feel there’s any absolute winner with any set. I think the card company’s are just slapping game used label on cards just to jack up the price. There’s no responsibility when it comes to the company. They can say its game used knowing its not and nothing happens to them.

The thing I would change would be certificate of authenticity to each card that’s deemed game used. It doesn’t have to come with a letter but a number just like psa uses.

Posted October 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
Brian

You would figure that with the $100 plus packs out there that redemptions for the full jersey would be in there. All the cards out there in one way or another say they can’t be sure its from a game day or from freakin walmart for god’s sake. Come on companies, Whole uncut jersey with authentication or at least authenticate the jersey is actually game used from a game and not from the back yard game with his kids.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think that memorabilia cards are very nice. I like large swatches with visible wear, autograph, heck even racing sheet metal cards are cool. Inovate…..how about website address showing the jersey your card comes from or the authentication of the game it was used in.

Since the jersey, ball, or whatever can’t be truly authenticated if even the player touched the ball. Soon we will have cards of just the game ball. “This game ball came from the Pats/Ravens game but we can’t be sure it was ever on field or came out of the ball bag or anyone touched it besides the maker.”

Posted October 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink
Cory Furlong

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect? Cory Furlong, Iowa, Baseball game used cards.

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer? Vintage game used jersey cards.

3. Who do you trust when it comes to authenticity statements for items or cards? Topps Company, Steiner.

4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards? Topps Allen & Ginter. It has a wide array of games used pieces from past and present. They also contain non sport memorabilia.

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards? Put the date or dates of the games they jerseys, pants, bats, etc were used on the back of the card. I can see this increasing the value of a card.

I was sad to see in the news recently about the authenticity of certain baseball jerseys purchased by the Upper Deck Company. When collectors have to question if something was ever worn by a player it’s a losing situation for the hobby.

Posted October 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink
Coimbre21

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect?
John from Frisco, Texas. I only game used in my collection are cards. I have a several game used goals:

One is to collect a GU uniform and/or bat for every Hall of Famer who played up to and/or into the 1970s, if they have a GU card available. I’m missing some big names still like Ruth, Wagner, and Mantle among many but do have some great vintage names like Gehrig, Ott, Frisch, Clemente, Musial, Banks, etc.

Secondly, I’m a huge Yaz collector and collect GU here, though I’m mostly focusing on Topps for now. If I spot a good deal on Nolan Ryan, Frank Robinson, Roberto Clemente, or Johnny Bench, I’ll buy it.

Third, I set a goal for a specific list of names of Los Angeles Rams, from Elroy Hirsch to Joe Namath to Eric Dickerson. Where Gu is not available, I’ve opted for factory certified auto cards from the likes of Vince Ferragamo and Pat Haden. This project has been fun in that it is short, quick and nearly complete.

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer? Baseball and dual relic of uniform and bat are best at helping me with my HOF goal.

3. Who do you trust when it comes to authenticity statements for items or cards? I’ve had to approach GU with the mindset that the manufacturers have to be trusted but I’ve also set some personal guidelines fro what GU really means. For some vintage players, I prefer wool uniform patches over polyester, which I believe may render an item more authentic, if not at least more reflective of the materials of their era. Take Frank Robinson for instance, I’ve seen uniform swatches that are clearly from his days in San Francisco, when he managed. The swatch may be GU but from the bench, as a manager, not his era as a player. I’ve also seen Mantle polyester pinstripes, which clearly weren’t around when he played. If from an Old Timers game, it’s not really the GU I’m interested in.

4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards? My personal preference is 2008 Topps Sterling. I also like 2009 Topps Sterling and just about any Topps Tribute issue, largely because some tougher names like Roush and Waner are available in earlier issues. I tend to favor Tribute 2009 and 2010.

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards? On the card, state the uniform team, year worn, and mfg. For bats, list mfg, model, size, and year used.

6. Do you have anything else to add about the world of game-used … or is there more you want to know about? I only jumped into GU about 1.5 years ago and have roughly 160 GU cards, mostly baseball Hall of Famers and for me it has been a great way to mix vintage players & memorabilia with modern cards. I would really like to know more about the manufacturing of GU cards and what has improved in the process with each issue.

Posted October 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink
Natalie Bubnick

#1 Natalie Bubnick, Parma, OH. I collect anything I can get. I’m only 12 years old and so not a lot of opportunities come up to get game-used stuff (outside of card collecting).
#2 I prefer collecting game used baseballs. (very inexpensive).
#3 Topps, Panini and Stiener
#4 Topps Unique. A LOT of different memorabilia cards. (etc. buttons, patches…)
#5 I would change mem cards to be numbered more often. I hate the feeling of when I just pulled a mem card and I flip it over to not be numbered.
#6 In baseball they should specially mark the balls Game Used so when you find one or get one you know it is game used not just a ball purchased and played with to make it look like it is game-used.

Posted October 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
Kris

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect?

Kris from Tuscaloosa, AL. I focus my game used card collection on the very early (1996-2000) and/or unique jerseys or patches (UD Exqusite, etc). The early jersey cards (ie. 1996 Upper Deck) were extremely difficult pulls which makes them rare and more collectible than others. From my perspective, there will always be some collectiblily in having the first or rarest; so being able to combine the two factors makes those intial jerseys satisfying to collect. Within that early jersey range, I also look for variations, whether they are multiple colors or autographed and hand-numbered variations. The only difficulty with the early jersey cards is you have to be extraordinarily patient when attempting to make a set. When there are only /13 1998 Upper Deck Dan Marino jersey autos, it can be difficult finding one and then getting it a reasonable price. However, as with most collectors, the hunt can be as much fun as finding and owning these truly unique jersey cards.

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer?

1996-2000 Upper Deck Game Jerseys, Game Jersey Patches, Game Jersey Autos for all 4 major sports.
2006-Present Exquisite & SP Authentic Rookie Jersey Patches for Football (3-Colors or more on the patches)

I generally trust the major manufacturers, however, the market has become so diluted since the turn of the century that it seems highly likely that even the major manufacturers have relaxed their standards in order to produce the multiple parallels and inserts that seem to continuely fill the market.

4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards?

1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jersey Basketball Set – These cards always sell with multiple bids, at or higher than book. The jersey swatches are much larger than the contempararies of the day. Plus, the Jordan Auto to /23 would be the pinnacle for many collections.

1996 Press Pass Burnin’ Rubber Racing Set – This was the first, so there should be a place for it.

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards?

I wish manufacturers would focus on making one good quality product. I don’t need all the different parallels or inserts. Just give a good design, nice patch and in a limited number. The mass production in the beginning to cash-in on the craze has only diluted the market, and rendered only the truly rare and/or expensive cards valuable. Everything else appeals to a very limited market or isnt worth the paper its made of, and this is really unfortunate because jersey cards started out as an incredibly unique way to bring the average fan and collector a little closer to the game and players they loved.

Posted October 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink
Matt K.

I love to collect both autos and game-used memorabilia cards, but in reference to game used memorabilia cards, I try to only buy or trade for ones that are unique or limited in number.

It is quite annoying to get a plain one color patch as your one memorabilia card in a box. It is even worse when the guy you get the card for is a no name.

Posted October 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink
Paul Le Corre

1. Name, where from and what game-used stuff do you collect?
Nothing particular

2. What one type of game-used item (any sport) do you prefer?
Letters and patch

Topps

4. Is there one set you feel is an absolute winner with game-used cards?

5. What one thing would you change about game-used memorabilia or cards?
Less multi game used cards and more jumbo patch or relics

How many game-used jersey cards do the companies make with one Jersey?

Posted October 16, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink
Chris Foley

Chris Foley, Chicago

1: HOCKEY! My walls are nearly full of autographed pictures along with Jerseys and autographed sticks. Hockey is my life and the only sport I collect or really care about. Pretty much the only game used memorabilia I am able to get my hands on, at a reasonable price, comes from collecting cards. Once the card companies ingeniously started using game used items IN! their cards it added so much more to collecting that I dove in head first and never looked back. “Come on, you mean to tell me I can find an autographed Mario Lemieux card with a penguins patch in it that he actually wore in a game? I’ll take five boxes!”

2: If I had to choose a specific item it would either be the logo patch or a piece of a stick. The chest logos are always done so well by most any company. And can you really beat a piece of a game used stick in a card? I’d really like to see duals of sticks and logo patches on one card in the future. (that is, if they’re not already out there and I just haven’t seen them yet)

3: Upper Deck. I think they are the leaders in sports cards and I have always had great experiences with them in all aspects of being a collector.

4: This is certainly the hardest question to answer. I have to say no, there are so many different sets and companies that are great at suppling us with amazing memorabilia cards. In The Game certainly has some of the most interesting sets with stuff like, “Broad Street Boys”, “Enforcers”, and now “Forever Rivals”. But Artifacts, Panini, and Crown Royal, also have some beautifully designed and nicely put together cards. So no, I cannot choose just one. If a box catches my eye and its reasonably priced, I’m getting it.

5: I’d like to see some sets of the original six teams, there’s obviously alot of history to those teams, and if an all Blackhawks set became available you better believe I would be the first in line.

6: I would just like to reiterate that when game used memorabilia was started to be used in cards, it certainly reignited the passion of collecting for me. The industry is no doubt at its peak right now and I sincerely believe its mostly due to game used memorabilia.

Chris Foley