Topps’ Heritage Update set to arrive Nov. 6

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Pre-ordering for the ShopTopps.com-exclusive 2012 Topps Heritage High Number set has begun today, its originally announced date, but the sets will not begin shipping until Nov. 6, according to the company.

While a checklist was not yet released by Topps, the sets will cost $99.95 on the company’s website and one previously unannounced feature also will be found inside the sets.

There will be red-ink autographs limited to just 10 copies among the autographs that will be seeded one per set. In addition, Topps has announced that only 1,000 sets will be made.

The set will include the players who missed the checklist for the early season release — Washington Nationals rookie Bryce Harper for starters. It also will include another of Ichiro Suzuki‘s first cards as a member of the New York Yankees.

Among the rookies slated to sign for the release include Harper, Oakland’s Yoenis Cespedes, Texas ace Yu Darvish and Boston’s Will Middlebrooks among others.

The release is the second online-only exclusive this year as it released 2012 Topps Mini — a shrunken version of its flagship set — in August.

Collectors can order a maximum of 20 sets per household.

lefou66

thx for the update…will buy for sure

Posted October 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink
nyyankeesfan28

Going to buy some anyway, but doesn’t $99.95 seem a bit steep for what you’re getting?

Posted October 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
Brian

$100?????? Come on Topps be more realistic. The Mini set at $50 a box was one of the best breaks of the year but this is a joke. Anyone spending $100 for an Edison Volquez is insane.

Posted October 17, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink
deeez

100 BEANS EQUALS PASS

Posted October 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
mobster

$100 for a 100 card set is ridiculous. Will not buy it at this price.

Posted October 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink
Marcus F.

I was going to get one until I see the price tag! LOL oh well I get I will pass.

Posted October 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink
Cincyscott76

I like ball cards and autos but I aint trying to help little Johnny go to grad school either! A dollar a common what deal! Will it include free shippin to? Think I minght have better odds at the casino

Posted October 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink
josh

$1 a card for what’s basically an update series? No way. I had planned on buying this but I thought it would be $50-$60 and I wasn’t excited about paying that much. I’ll just wait and build the set from comc.com for around $25.

Posted October 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I was shocked at the price. The minis were great thru and thru, so I was expecting something more reasonable. But for $100-are all the cards in the set serial numbered? Do you get 3 or 4 autos? Are they on the high quality stock? What makes them $99???? Unless there is something we are all missing, I’ll wait until the price drops.

Posted October 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Oh, one other thing. How limited can they be if there is a 20 (twenty-TWENTY!!) sets per household limit?

Posted October 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink
Jackie Martling

This is almost as bad as Tolentino’s Box Break videos…..

Posted October 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink
afff

never did buy a box of the other Heritage so probably will not get this but even if i did have the other sets there would be now way that i would spend $100 on the update set, just to high in price for what your getting

Posted October 18, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink
Lou

Even if I was buying right now at that price I would pass

Posted October 18, 2012 at 8:36 am | Permalink
charles

thought it was going to be like $19.99,needless to say PASS.

Posted October 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
RJ

Charles, that’s exactly what I was thinking, $19.99 … I could maybe see $29.99, but $99?

I have like two $10 gift codes coming from Topps (hopefully), and was thinking they’d cover most of a set. I will definitely pass and buy the Harper and Cespedes off the bay for a fraction.

Another Monopoly move by Topps! Please bring back Upper Deck and give Panini a license!

Posted October 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

RJ: You can only use one cert per order.

Posted October 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Also @ RJ, I just redeemed one a couple of weeks ago and called Topps to see where my email was and they told me I wouldn’t get the email until mid-November. They said it is a manual process and will take about six weeks to process.
I think they have three or four people employed there.

Posted October 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink
RJ

CO, that’s even more reason to dislike Topps. Thanks for ruining my day. Just kidding.

Posted October 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
Kevin

The sets are limited to 1000 copies which will make these far more scarce than the regular base cards. Set collectors will have to buy these and depending on the auto checklist this could be very reasonable even at $100. You could buy one of these sets and be guaranteed an autograph and a high numbered set or you could buy 1 and a half boxes of Heritage and get quite a bit less. Should be interesting to see the autograph checklist.

Posted October 19, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink
JR

Just think if 50 people buy 20 sets each that is the entire 1000 limit and the prices could go thru the roof. I hope each set is numbered 1 thru 1000.

Posted October 19, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink
Rockofrockytop

Any idea when we’ll get a checklist for this set and accompanying autos?

Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

I was supposed to have it earlier this week. Didn’t happen, but I’ll have it.

Posted October 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink
Michael Weber

I just bought a box. The price is ridiculous. But, every auto is out of ten.

Posted October 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink
mobster

Only the red ink autos are out of 10, not all of them.

Posted October 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Michael,
Only the red ink are out of 10.

Posted October 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I caved and made this purchase today. Was wavering until I realized that they might, and should have guys like Profar, Bundy and Machado in the release as well showing their true rookie cards.
Let’s see what happens when the set arrives. And the big question then will be if I actually open it or not.

Posted October 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

It’s official…Topps has sold out of the High Number Set!

Posted November 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
George

I received the one set that I ordered from Topps on Tuesday late afternoon.
What can I say but I hope the valued rookies hold there value for a couple of decades and that not so great New York Mets Auto that I got eventually goes beyond being maybe a 10.00 auto then I might be able to recoup the 100.00 er sorry 99.95 that it cost me.
Acutally I think the money will be recouped when my oldest nephew’s son who is now 6 turns 26.

Posted November 14, 2012 at 7:20 am | Permalink