Upcoming football cards contain diamonds

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Football Editor

Diamonds are a football player’s best friend.

That’s the theme of one of the inserts in Panini Momentum, which comes out next week.

The company released several images of the upcoming product including a preview of the Studs insert.

These cards feature football players who are known for wearing diamond stud earrings. Some of the players include Michael Vick, Hines Ward, Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson (formerly Ochocinco).

The picture isn’t the greatest, but if you take a look at the dominant ear in the all the photos, you’ll notice something on their ear lobes.

So what is it?

In Panini’s words: “real-diamond-encrusted Studs insert.”

Susan Lulgjuraj is the editor of Beckett Football magazine. You can email Susan here with ideas, comments and questions. Follow her on Twitter here.

Josiah Cecil

I think it is dumb, it is going to drive the price higher from an already high msrp making that brand even harder to get for the average joe.

Posted September 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
Bill

Wow! A couple of real “winners” in that group. *sarcasm*

Posted September 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink
Bob Res

I agree that it’s stupid. Maybe we can do an insert set of tatoos or a memorabilia insert set like endorsement used contract pieces. Lets stick to the players, performance, stats, autographs and game used items. Even those are more than enough and most have some relationship to the idea behind sports card collecting.

Posted September 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink
Ryan Garris

sorry Panini…Topps already did it last year, some originality please?

Posted September 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

Flashback to the mid-90s with Action Packed and their “Studs” inserts. It was cool when it first came out over 15 years ago, and should be interesting to see them again.

Posted September 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I guess I am in the minority with my take on this, but I think this is actually pretty cool. I saw one of the Topps Diamond 1/1′s in person, and it was absolutely beautiful. Depending on the player, I might keep it if I pulled one!

Posted September 5, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Before I start, I am not a fan of this set as a whole and this insert just made me laugh.

Sadly this just does not really seem like a well thought out insert, it is like they wanted to force value in to the product and came up with this. The selection of players shown include some of the biggest A-holes in the league who are more about ego and less about the team and then consider that four of the players here have/had criminal or league problems and you begin to wonder who finalized the checklist. Finish it off with three players (Ownes, Chad Johnson and Ward) who were unceremoniously cut from their respective teams and it seems that this was almost like an after thought. I know Johnson and Owens were only recently released but take in to consideration that Johnson was included as a Dolphin, which he only signed with in June, so you know that the players were selected within the past few months. Plus who was the one that decided to list TO as a Cowboy? How about a team he has played for in the last 4 years?

I have never been a fan of gimmick cards/inserts and this just screams it.

Posted September 5, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink
card opinionator

From the comments so far, everyone seems onto the borrowed idea from the past. What’s harder to explain is the use (and highlighting), of Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens. Are there two more disliked players they could have used? I can’t think of them.

Posted September 5, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink