Preview of multi-panel sketch cards in Upper Deck’s Marvel Premier

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

The time is almost here for Upper Deck’s Marvel Premier.

A $200 a pack product with just four cards.

One of the cards in the pack is a multi-hinged sketch card. Sketch cards are popular in non-sports cards, especially among cards dedicated to comics or graphic novels.

Related post: Upper Deck announces Marvel Premier

Collectors get a chance to own original art from popular artists of even those who have had a hand in creating the originals.

Upper Deck released preview images of the multi-panel sketch cards. Some of them include three or pieces, which gives the artist a bigger canvas. The artists seemed to have taken advantage of the new dimensions by adding more detail in backgrounds of cards and simply being able to tell a story.

Take a look at these preview images and let us know what you think.

Susan Lulgjuraj is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. You can email Susan here with ideas, comments and questions. Follow her on Twitter here.

David B

Hey, I love comics and even worked in a comic book store for several years (while collecting sports cards) but how in the world can anyone justify $200 a pack? No matter how amazing the art is, there isn’t an artist alive whose autograph is worth $200. Only Kirby, Kane & Siegal & Shuster would even make sense at that price. What else is in the pack to justify that price???

Posted September 24, 2012 at 8:25 am | Permalink
Richard

I think I could add a few names to the signature list, but they too have passed on.
Will Eisner
Wally Wood
Alex Schomburg
Frank Frazetta.
Charles Schultz
Windsor McCay
Of course, none of these happen to be Marvel artists, though Wally Wood did do some work, he is more
known for his own material.

I guess the greatest living Marvel artist might be Steve Ditko.
And you can always get the editor, Stan Lee if you really want it.

Frankly, the cards have zero appeal to me.
I can buy original art from published comics for $200 or less and they will be pages I happen
to choose. You can buy pages of even great artists for under $1000, though for “nice” pages
you will have to add another zero in many cases.

Posted September 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink
David B

I stand corrected. You’re right, those artists you have named merit a nod too but seriously, I’m not sure any of them are $200 an autograph. Could be, I don’t know but I’ve been to Comic-con and gotten great artist’s auto’s for free (Bernie Wrightson, the Hildebrandt Brothers – both of them and many others).

I think the artwork looks amazing, but I can’t see spending $200 a pack.

For those of you who remember, in the 1990′s the Brother’s Hildebrandt did an incredible job on the Fleer Ultra X-Men set that was considered high end at the time.

Posted September 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
Richard

Well, maybe not an autograph.
I will say that I would actually pay over $200 for a mini sketch card done by any of the ones I named.
Assuming we are talking about an actual sketch and signed. Even a quick one would do.
Also, need to add Theodor Geisel (Dr Seuss) and George Herman (Krazy Kat) to the list.

All of these would be well over $1000 per page/illustration right now.

Posted September 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink
ddizzal

200 isnt bad at all, wait til it drys up and is 350 a box!!! These sketches will sell for a ton with the good characters on it…

Posted September 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink
ActionJunkie

Um, it’s not autos, lol, it’s “orginal 1-of-1 art.” Amazing sketch cards go for $1000+ so $200 is very reasonable if overall quality is there. Looks like at least 4 “sketch card” panels per box plus a few base/inserts so not a horrible deal.

Posted September 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink
Richard

I’ve never seen a sketch card go for $1000+
But, looking on Ebay I see that indeed some have closed for that amount.

Its frankly nuts. Not that things can’t be nuts, but its like being offered a complete Jersey for $500,
or you can have the patch card (made from said Jersey) for $1000.

I personally would have zero interest in any of the sketch cards displayed here.
And I’m a comic book enthusiast who has had hundreds of original sketches drawn for me over the
years at comic-con.

I see sketch cards as being hip now, but fading later once the hype drops.
But, since more and more work now is getting done on computer I guess such things may have at
least some chance of staying somewhat viable, albeit at a lower price point.

All I can say for certain is that if its successful, they will make more.

Posted September 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
James

Richard, someone said the same about seeing sketch cards as being hip now, 5 years ago. 5 years later, they’re still here.
Sketch cards are a completely different species of hobbies in their own right. Some sketch card collectors actually prefer collecting sketch cards over larger pieces from say, published comic books or murals. They find sketch cards to be a more portable medium where they can easily slip into a small sleeve book and take it with them for their own viewing pleasure, on the fly trading, selling, etc. But just as in EVERY other hobby out there, you will have something the branches out of that medium that will demand a lot more $$$$ than your common every day piece. Be that a car part, a movie frame, a vintage video game, a pair of sneakers (back to the future 2), a grain of rice, etc etc etc…
So it’s really not rocket science, but it is pretty insane. Some people out there think people who pay an alarming amount of money for a Kirby piece is out of their minds. Of course, those people don’t know nor care who Jack King Kirby was. But that’s just how it is. If a collector finds enough motivation or passion in a piece, regardless of it’s size or who did it, he/she may pay up whatever they can to get their hands on it. Even a thousand dollars or more.
There’s a few sketch card artists out there who never worked in comics that can pull in more money than some well known comic book artists out there, believe it or not. And that’s just the nature of the beast.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink