Your Turn (BSCM 331): Show your school colors … who do you collect?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

In an upcoming issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, we’re going to explore the world of college collecting.

While we haven’t yet ironed out all of the items we’ll have inside The College Issue — there are lots of options — one thing we know we do want is to hear from you. We want to know a few things about how your school ties tie into what you collect and how you collect.

I finished my college days at the University of Alabama — a school that has produced many Hall of Famers on the gridrion (both college and pro), produced quite a few MLB and NBA stars, and even some stars in the literary and media world. My collection is all over the map from my days down there — and it’s a collection with plenty of variety beyond just the football greats. (I’ll have plenty to potentially write about in that issue.)

But that’s for later. We want to know about your college collecting habits.

Give us your name and location and answer the following questions … we’ll run a selection of the most-interesting answers in the issue.

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?

5.  Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? (It may not be your school.)

Please feel free to add more in your comments. Also, feel free to add links to photos of your collection.

Are you a college SuperCollector? Submit your info using the instructions here.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Seth M. Murphy, Cambridge Springs, PA, Syracuse University

2. What do you collect for your school? (It could be anything in particular.) Cards of all kind, but must be in college uniform, some memorabilia and clothing of course

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? (It’s the must-own item … ) Anything Jim Brown or Jim Boeheim

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? Nothing in particular but I have a lot of Sage and Press Pass for the college uniforms, Upper Deck now too

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? (It may not be your school.) Notre Dame for sure, Michigan is up there I bet too

Some Links to My Collection

(Marvin Harrison auto’d mini-helmet)

(The card and floor collection, 86 pictures here, 3 of them are auto’d floor boards)

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink
Alex Giles

My favorite college team are the Tennessee Vols. I collect autographs from basketball and the football players, but especially Eric Berry. I think Neyland stadium is the thing that people know your talking about Tennessee football when you say it. There is not a card set I collect, but I do have the set of Tennessee football cards that has all the 2010 seniors including Eric Berry (Chiefs), Montario Hardesty (Browns) and Jonathan Crompton. Those cards are pretty rare because they only produce them at Neyland Stadium. I would think either Florida or Bama are the most collected teams. Florida because of Steve Spurrier, Percy Harvin and of course Tim Tebow, and Alabama because of two big names: Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.
-Alex Giles-Knoxville, TN

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink
Cory Furlong

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Cory Iowa

2. What do you collect for your school? Cards of former Iowa Hawkeye football / basketball players.

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? Has to be the tigerhawk logo. Only one other team in the nation is allowed to use the tigerhawk logo and that is a High School near the university.

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? I really enjoyed 2009 Topps Magic. It displayed every player in their college uniform. It also had an autograph of every player in the set. That doesn’t happen often.

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? Has to be Notre Dame. They have a popular nickname (Fighting Irish) and the alums will pay fat cash for football memorabilia.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink
Sconnienation3

1. Brendan from Madison, WI. Collect the Wisconsin Badgers

2. Any football cards of Wisconsin alumni, as well as a few basketball cards on the side (far less Badgers have made it to the NBA…)

3. Any of the souvenir participant T-shirts from the Crazylegs Classic, an annual 8K run/5K walk through the UW campus that raises funds for the Athletic Dept. Last year, over 20,000 people ran, despite the pouring rain. The race finishes down the ramp and across the 50-yard line in Camp Randall.

4. Not really, though old Press Pass and new Upper Deck are certainly nice for the players in their college jerseys.

5. Notre Dame, Florida, Ohio State

Wisconsin PC Link: http://s875.photobucket.com/albums/ab314/bjfaherty/Wisconsin%20PC/
I don’t have most of my collection scanned (way too much time to scan all the base/inserts/etc). Autos, mem, low #d, and unique cards are all here, and in the folders on the right side.

Plus, I can walk to Camp Randall from my house. No better place in the country for a tailgate on a crisp fall Saturday afternoon.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink
Erik J

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?

Erik, Tri-Cities WA, and I collect Oregon Ducks football.

2. What do you collect for your school? Football cards, and memorabilia.

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? The O logo and/or Puddles (mascot)

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? Not really. I collect anything of them in their collegiate uniforms. Be it the older Press Pass, Topps Magic, or newer UD stuff.

5.  Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected?

Probably Notre Dame.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink
Kelly

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Kelly from Oregon but living in Cali. I collect Oregon Ducks first, and then ANY Oregon university next!

2. What do you collect for your school? (It could be anything — or any sport — in particular. Cards? Game-used memorabilia? Autographs?) Anything Ducks, but mainly cards, clothing and hats

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? (It’s the must-own item … for Alabama, it might be a Paul “Bear” Bryant autograph.) EVERY Duck fan must own the big *O* for their truck/car window!

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? no, cause the Ducks don’t appear consistently in sets..

Ohio State, Auburn..

Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

1. David Johnson in Ocala, FL collecting University of Florida cards and memorabilia
2. Rookie year cards, Game Used and Autographed cards, and autographed memorabilia
3. Autographs of Heisman winners: Spurrier, Wuerffel, and Tebow
4. Not really, as I collect so much. I like the autographs from 2009 Topps Magic and Sweet Spot. I also really like the game used cards with college jerseys from Sage and Press Pass.
5. Florida is definitely up near the top. Notre Dame is probably tops in football and UNC is probably tops in basketball.
I wish I had some photos to add of my collection but I haven’t really taken many. Some of my favorite pieces include an autographed piece of game floor from UF”s 2007 basketball championship, a pair or autographed Game Used shoes from Mike Miller, the 2002 Gridiron Kings original oil painting of Reche Caldwell, and a framed 16×20 autographed photo of Tebow. However my all time favorite item is the autographed poster from the 1998 UF Women’s Soccer National Championship team (which includes autographs of Heather Mitts and Abby Wambach, both now playing in the Olympics for Team USA). It’s may favorite item because I was at UF at that time and got to know several of the players on the team.

Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink
Adrian Augustine

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?

Adrian from Middleton, WI. I collect stuff from the University of Wisconsin. I graduated from UW-Madison in 2002 with a B.A. In History.

2. What do you collect for your school?

My collection consists mostly of autographed memorabilia from UW athletes in fooball, hockey and basketball. I have over 30 signed 8x10s, over 25 mini helmets, over 20 pucks, five 16x20s, three jerseys and two basketballs. My collection features items signed by Elroy “Crazylegs” Hirsch, Pat Richter, Mark Johnson, Chris Chelios, Michael Finley, Troy Vincent, Barry Alvarez, Ron Dayne, Joe Thomas, Lee Evans, Devin Harris and many more.

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school?

Until I obtain an Alan Ameche or Mike Webster autograph that is in my price range, the current crown jewel in my collection is my full sized football helmet. I started getting it autographed in April and it is currently signed by Montee Ball, Jim Leonhard, JJ Watt, Barry Alvarez and Ron Dayne. This is will be an ongoing project and I’ll continue to add guys that have been historically significant players at UW.

I don’t really collect any sets from the big card manufacturers but I do like to collect the trading card sheets that the University distributes. Its nice to have something for even the lesser known players to sign. Other than those, I currently prefer Upper Deck since they are officially licensed and can show logos.

Michigan, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Duke, North Carolina, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Florida St. and Miami

For photos of my collection, feel free to visit my facebook page where I have about 3 albums worth of stuff:

Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink
Chris

1. Chris; I’m a counselor/advisor at Stony Brook University in New York.

2. We’re relatively new to the big-time sports game. Our most notable Seawolves alumnus has been Joe Nathan, but our baseball team made an impressive run to the CWS this fall, and we’ve had a number of players drafted by MLB teams in the last few years. I have a small Joe Nathan collection, but I’m focusing on the new guys: Tom Koehler, in AAA for Miami (2011 Bowman); Nick Tropeano, in high-A for Houston (2012 Topps Debut); and hopefully in the next year, our guys who got drafted this year, notably Travis Jankowski, who went 44th overall to San Diego. I have a near-rainbow of Koehler out of both Bowman and Bowman Chrome (need the supers), and a small autograph collection former Stony Brook folks, including basketball coach Rollie Massimino, who got his start at Stony Brook.

Photo: http://twitpic.com/8q943s (top frame is autographs, bottom two are the two Tom Koehler rainbows)

3. One item? I don’t know that we have one particular big-ticket item yet. Hopefully someday. Anything with Wolfie (our mascot) on it is a big-ticket item for me, but I have little kids, so I might be biased toward mascots.

4. Not one set, but I’m spending a lot of time scouring future checklists for any set that includes recently drafted players.

5. Probably Notre Dame, I’d guess? I don’t really know.

Posted July 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?

J.R. Lebert, Lawndale, CA. I collect Boise State Broncos football cards and memorabilia.

2. What do you collect for your school?

I collect anything Boise State football related, especially memorabilia, cards of players (usually in their Boise uniform), and any other item I can find. I have every single series of bobble heads produced, including the ultra rare first series. I have several Kellen Moore, Austin Pettis, Doug Martin, Titus Young, Ryan Clady, and Ian Johnson 1/1′s, as well as over 500 unique and 1,000 total Boise State cards, most in their Boise uniforms. One look through the database shows that, with the exception of the last 5 years, it’s been rough sledding collecting guys from Boise. I own several pieces of “Smurf Turf”, pieces of the field.

The highlight of my collection, however, has to be my 2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl / WAC Championship PLAYERS RING, obtained directly from one of the players on the team from their magical undefeated 2007 season, capped off by defeating the overwhelmingly favored, Adrian Peterson-led Oklahoma Sooners in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, the same game featuring the Statue of Liberty play and Ian Johnson’s marriage proposal. Along with the ring, I have a signed letter from the player, the original box and case it came in, with the player’s name on the bottom, and the original packing they mailed it in. This ring is absolutely beautiful, and the best part is that it actually also fits me perfectly!

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school?

My answer would be one of two things, both of which I own. First, having a piece of memorabilia from the 2007 cinderella season is the ultimate dream of any Boise State football collector, and adding the ring to my collection was the best purchase I have ever made for my PC.

The second, more attainable answer would have to be a piece of the blue turf. Everyone knows Boise State’s blue field, and owning this is a MUST for any Boise State collector.

If it has a player in a Boise uniform, I will most likely collect it. Recently, the Upper Deck products have been the go-to ones for me, especially because they have the college license.

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected?

It all depends on the sport. I would say UCLA and UNC in college basketball, and most of the SEC schools in football. If I had to pick one football school, I would say LSU. I see more collectors of theirs on message boards, and see some high prices on the rarer cards of Tigers players.

While I don’t have scans up of everything, and I have a bunch of the 1/1′s currently at BGS for grading, here are a few pictures of the ring. I have chosen to omit the player’s name side of the ring, to protect their anonymity. It’s absolutely beautiful in person!

Posted August 1, 2012 at 2:56 am | Permalink
Gary Blas

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Gary B., Bellingham, WA University of Washington

2. What do you collect for your school? Football cards (in college uniform) and memorabilia.

3.What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? Any memorabilia from the ’91 National Championship football team. In particlular, any of the player replica1992 Rose Bowl jerseys (the game that sealed the championship). My best pieces in my collection is an autographed Steve Emtman replica Rose Bowl jersey as well as a National Championship yearbook autographed by the players and coaches.

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? No. However, I do try to pick up any singles of UW players.

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? Alabama or Auburn

Posted August 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?
Chris Mixer, now living in Atlanta, collect University of Florida. #GoGators

2. What do you collect for your school?
Everything – curent goal: one certified auto of every player, any sport (including WNBA).

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school?
anything Tim Tebow.

Press Pass red inks & inscriptions. I also like the old Honors ‘Alma Mater materials’ relic cards.

Whoo … tons of cards are already made for Texas, USC, and Notre Dame stuff. Those need to be put to rest. I like those TK Legacy dedicated college sets. Remember the old Hoby SEC set? Bring ‘em back!

Posted August 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
Matt Unruh

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?
Matt Unruh, born in Lincoln, NE and a diehard Nebraska Cornhuskers fan!

2. What do you collect for your school?
Mostly cards of players in their college uniforms but will get others if they don’t have a college card. I also collect autographs (especially from the players and coaches from the 1994, 1995, and 1997 National Championship seasons.

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school?
It would have to be either Tom Osborne, Memorial Stadium, the blackshirts or anything Tommie Frazier.

Officially licensed college card sets and schedules, Press Pass, Sage, and now Upper Deck products, and any other oddball set that has Husker players on them. To date, I have found most of my “holy grail” items and am actually looking at bidding on one that I was beginning to think I would never find again.

I would guess, Florida, Auburn, or Alabama…but I like to think that Nebraska has the strongest fan base in the nation. GO HUSKERS!

Posted August 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
Vince Ware

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Vince – University of Texas Longhorns

2. What do you collect for your school? Autographed Texas mini-helmets and official collegiate footballs from Longhorn legends inscribed to my son. I have all the alumni who have had their number retired except for Bobby Layne (who passed away years ago). I also have coach Mack Brown and Coach Darrell Royal who won National Championships as well as Major Applewhite, who does not have his number retired at the school, but was a favorite of mine as a player and now as a coach. I also display pictures of my son, wife (also a huge Longhorn fan), and myself getting to meet them with his collection.

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? Earl Campbell autographed game used tear away jersey from his era. “When Earl ran, snot flew.” – Darrell Royal He played hard, accomplished so much as a player personally and for the University. He continues to be a proud ambassador of the school and for Texas football across the state.

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? Not really, but I did buy a few boxes of Upper Deck’s University of Texas football set released last year. My wife pulled a Colt McCoy autograph from one of the boxes. Her “favorite” card in the collection!

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? Notre Dame or Alabama given their history, tradition and success of alumni from the program, but perhaps Texas as well for the same reasons.

Posted August 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
nusgoose

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? Brandon, Wisconsin Badgers

2. What do you collect for your school? (It could be anything — or any sport — in particular. Cards? Game-used memorabilia? Autographs?) Anything and everything, especially players that played in the big time

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? (It’s the must-own item … for Alabama, it might be a Paul “Bear” Bryant autograph.) Thats tough, there havent been a ton of Badgers that have made a HUGE impact on pro sports. There are a ton of great athletes that have come out of there, but i would almost have to say the coaches, Barry Alvarez and Bo Ryan anything would be great to have!

4. Is there one card set you collect heavily as part of your college collection? Upper Deck now, I love when you see the athletes in their college jerseys!

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? (It may not be your school.) Miami is probably one of the big ones i would think

Posted August 8, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
vansuz

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect? VANCE FROM LUBBOCK TEXAS – TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS

2. What do you collect for your school? (It could be anything — or any sport — in particular. Cards? Game-used memorabilia? Autographs?) FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL (QUARTERBACKS!!!)

3. What one item, do you feel, is perfectly symbolic of your school? (It’s the must-own item … for Alabama, it might be a Paul “Bear” Bryant autograph.) BOBBY KNIGHT AUTO, WES WELKER PATCH/AUTO,

5. Other: What university or college do you feel is most-collected? (It may not be your school.) NC BASKETBALL, NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL,

Posted August 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink
Brian Blankenburg

1. Brian Blankenburg, Donnellson, Iowa Iowa State University GO CYCLONES!!!!!

2. Mostly football cards, I do like the autographed cards. A little basketball.

3. Maybe a Matt Blair autograph and Rookie card. Played several years with the Vikings. Matt & I umpired several intramural softball and baseball games together. I doubt he remembers me, but that’s why he would be the centerpiece of my collection.

4, Probably Topps, as I have a sentimental attachment to Topps as it was the only one available when I was growing up. I like Donruss and the Diamond Kings also.

5. UCLA basketball, several teams with football, USC, NOtre Dame and that other Iowa school :-)

Posted August 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

1. Name, where from and what school do you collect?
Jeff Guinn – central OH – University of Tennesee Volunteers!

I try to collect pretty much anything UT that isn’t “common” or “run of the mill”. Primarily auto or GU cards (primarily in their collegiate uniforms, of course). Also have several signed 8 x 10s, McFarlane figures, etc.

This is a toughy, but the one thing might be a Reggie White autograph – on a full size helmet would be epic!

No one set primarily, but I’m trying to put together all of the nameplates from UT alumni. I currently have completed JCrompton, MHardesty, EBerry, and LStocker…and I only need the V to complete the Tauren Poole set.

Just guessing, most collected probably has to be USC, Ohio St, or Notre Dame

Posted August 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink
Josh Tullia

1. Josh Tullia from Huntsville (Huntsvegas) Texas. I collect Sam Houston State University

2. I collect autographs and game-used cards from my school. More notably Rhett Bomar and Luke McCown because they are some of the only athletes from SHSU with school colors on their cards in the hobby.

3. For me, it is the 2009 Bowman Silver Auto /50 of Rhett Bomar. I just started collecting SHSU cards/memoralbilia because I am graduating next semester and would like to have a PC together of my alma mater.

4. I would have to say the same ^ just because it is the first memoralbilia/card etc that I have bought with my school colors on it. I did collect UT alum but I feel like this is more appropriate because I actually attend Sam Houston State.

5. I would have to say University of Texas. The overall history with their athletic program makes them very recognizable to collectors. That burnt orange and white but YOU KNOW WHAT?! Sam Houston is ORANGE AND WHITE TOO! How bout some love for the smaller schools with just as much spirit as anybody! EAT EM UP KATS!

Posted August 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink
chris houser

I collect ASU gear and cards I am not a supper collector but it is fun to get a few ASU stuff every now and then

Posted August 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink
chris houser

@chris olds. What team do you collect just wondering

Posted August 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Chris Houser: You’ll find out in the next issue of BSCM.

Posted August 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink
Vince Ware

@chris olds. Are you printing any of the above in BSCM? Thanks.

Posted August 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Vince: That’s the plan

Posted August 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
Tyler H.

1. Tyler from Seattle, WA collecting Central Washington University

2. I collect anything and everything I can get my hands on. Preferably game-used gear and autos, and anything Jon Kitna!

3. Jon Kitna autographed jersey, he IS CWU’s finest product!

4. No, because there are so few products out there… I can’t be picky collecting the Cats!

5. UT (Texas) or UF (Florida)

Posted August 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink
Jordan

1) My name is Jordan, I’m from Slinger, Wisconsin, and I collect Marquette University.
2) I collect Marquette University men’s basketball autographs.
3) The 1977 NCAA Championship pennant is a symbolic collectible.
4) I don’t collect a particular set. However, I collect individual cards of former players, such as Wes Matthews.
5) Notre Dame is heavily collected.

Posted August 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink