Topps unveils Ginter artifacts

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

For the select few collectors who found artifacts of a different kind in their boxes of 2012 Allen & Ginter baseball cards, today is your day.

The mystery of the Ginter Artifacts cards is no more.

On Friday, Topps detailed exactly what the “unusual artifact[s] from the past” are for the N43 redemptions.

They are:

Card No. 1 – Carcharodon Megalodon tooth (10 million years old)
Card No. 2 – Bronze coin (Roman Empire)
Card No. 3 – Cleoniceras Species fossil (120 million years old)
Card No. 4 – Native American stone point (500 – 9,000 years old)
Card No. 5 – Neolithic stone point (3,000 to 8,000 years old)

Not sure I would have been happy about this, have I had one of these redemptions. They’ve been selling $500-$1000 and all of these items can be had in non-card form for well under $50. The mystery has been revealed and it’s a big $500 hole in your account!

Posted August 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink
ddizzal

wow, no pictures though?

Posted August 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
Josiah Cecil

Weird!!!

Posted August 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
mike

Ditto……..NOT worth the hype!

Posted August 31, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink
Lou

Yet another Topps disappointment

Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink
Bill Donnely

I don’t know why people blame the card company, if you dish out a grand site unseen you are a moron.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink
Scott

Seems like all the investor types are mad…Good. They collect for the wrong reasons anyway. A&G always has cards out of left field. If folks aren’t smart enough to know that then they shouldn’t whine like babies when there REDEMPTION is one of these cards which I think are pretty cool. If the investors don’r want those, I’ll take them.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink
Steve

Seems to me the point is not “of these items can be had in non-card form for well under $50″.
Rather that depending on the print run, these are a very rare corner-stone to this popular set.

I can make a baseball card myself, even get a player to sign it, but it would be worthless vs a 1/1 Topps Pujols auto’d card.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink
Kory Kasler

You really can’t blame Topps on this one. Topps made no guarantee on value, and I never would have dropped anywhere near the hundreds and thousands of dollars on these without any clue about what I was getting. Someone just lost out on a $1000 lottery ticket.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink
Kevin

I think that list looks pretty cool. This cards aren’t my thing but cool none the less.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
mike

Cool – I agree – but not at $1000…..not even at $200!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink
Eric

Personally, I think these are incredibly cool, regardless of collector value. A megalodon tooth? A coin from the Roman empire? These things are historically fascinating and certainly more interesting than yet another printing gimmick like those absurd Bowman refractors, x-fractors, etc.

Allen and Ginter brought this collector back into card collecting after a 25 year absence. It’s this sort of thing that makes Allen and Ginter the best thing to happen to card collecting since they took the gum out of the packs.

Posted September 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink