Box Busters Preview: 2012 Bowman Platinum

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he rips into a box of 2012 Bowman Platinum cards in this Box Busters preview video.

What will he find inside? Watch and find out …

Rob Mazetta

Not a bad break at all! These are one of my top 5 favs of the year but like you said, i can never tell the difference between the base cards and the “refractors”. Wish they would put a little symbol on the back of it or something.

Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink
Jackie Martling

Mr. Olds:
Do you get a discount from the folks at Nick’s? You give them a lot of “free” advertising….not to mention, you’re one of the more famous people in this hobby (you do a lot of good things for the hobby)…

Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Nick’s is the only shop in city of Dallas. Others would be a longer drive for me by at least 15 minutes. No discount.

Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Permalink
Dan C.

I’m not a big fan of this product. Last year on the secondary market there seemed to be an over-abundance of the autos, and in fact last year the print run for the green parallel doubled and Topps added the gold parallel. This year the print run for the blue and red parallels has increased and the atomic parallel has been added. . Last year’s product seemed to be over-produced, resulting in very low prices on the secondary market and very quick mark-downs at retail stores, and looks like this years has been overproduced as well. Collectors will never be as interested in Platinum as they are in regular Bowman, and Topps should limit production of Platinum accordingly so the cards hold value.

Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink
Tyler

Thornburg is a pitcher in the Brewers system (I believe he was called up last month) drafted in the third round of the 2010 draft.

Posted July 26, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink
Todd

Nick’s is a really good card shop. Especially in today’s age of seeing fewer and fewer shops. Nick’s is truly a full-service card store, with a good team. I don’t even live in Dallas anymore and I still try to visit Nick’s whenever I can.

Posted July 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink
snappyjoe

tough break man, but at least ur getting a gold auto relic!! i bought a box yesterday with another on the way. the hobby i bought is a store i go to all the time. he just got the case in that morning and i got the first box. pulled montero 1of 25 relic auto. was happy. as well as gold and green harper. wil myers and bubba. so, i was pretty excited. hopefully my second box will be better. thanks for the break!!

Posted July 26, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink
Richard

This will be my 3rd year with Bowman Platinum.
I do the base set, the prospect set, and the prospect autos.
As long as they don’t flood the market with retail versions it will be OK, otherwise ….

Posted July 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink
Steve

Nick’s is great!! Nick and Debbie run a fair, clear, entertaining card shop. I too don’t live in Dallas anymore, but find myself still visiting Nick’s when I come to Dallas. As for the product, Bowman Platinum has the title and feel of high end, but at a little better price. Like you said, not a an instant gratification bust, but you won’t go wrong with a Gold-Patch type of card.

Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Permalink
Chris Clock

Nice break! I did a break 2 days ago….got a Auto Jumbo Relic Refractor Redemption for Gerrit Cole :-)

Posted July 29, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink