A long-awaited Major League mailday

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he completes a collecting journey of sorts with a recent mailday for an item he has written about several times in the past.

What is it? What did it cost? Watch and find out …

Ben

Very cool video to watch, could tell that was emotional on some level for you. Glad you finally got it. And as you can tell, the presence of the set in your hands was too much .. the power went out.

Posted July 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Great Video Chris–the raw emotion is priceless, after all this is what collecting is all about–Appreciate the video, very well done!!!

Posted July 12, 2012 at 12:34 am | Permalink
Kurry Ferguson

Pretty Sweet
One of my cooks lives in West Allis Wi,
guess I will let him come in late if he
goes to some garage sales and finds me a set

Posted July 12, 2012 at 12:49 am | Permalink
Kollectornet

That is awesome. Congrats to you. They are way better than a Swisher 1/1 for you.

Posted July 12, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink
Bobby Currier

Great find, glad you found them after all these years.

Posted July 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
bill johnson

ive heard about those cards, but have never seen them first hand. major league was one of my all time fav sports movies. i know you say you over paid, but i think everyone here will agree, that the look on your face when you opened it was better then any box busters. i think it was well worth the wait and thanks for sharing. .

Posted July 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
John

These cards are on my want list, but I was never sure they were really out there. THIS is why we collect, thanks for sharing Chris!!

Posted July 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink
Adam

I’ve got 2 sets of these (one sealed, one opened with a couple of the cards signed) and see them fairly frequently at rinky-dink shows here in Milwaukee where the movie was shot. Didn’t think they were that HTF.

Posted July 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Permalink
Randall

Congrats!!! If they are that hard to find, I don’t think you overpaid. Hey, there are some cards out there that I would probably overpay also if I knew I was getting it from someone reputable. Anyway, fun video as always.

Posted July 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink
Jim B.

Awesome video! This is why we collect. I’m still looking for my holy grail…A Complete 1982 Wrestling All-Stars set.

Posted July 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink
michael runyon

Chris this is a great story and a great set. Congratulations on getting it.

This is the reason I would love to see an article in BSM called white whales. Have some collectors list a few of their wants that they have never ever seen and see if some of the readers can help them caputre the whale.

3 of mine are

CHUCK BOWN WINNERS CHOICE AUTOGRAPH /500
HARRY RANIER 97 AUTOGRAPH RACING AUTOGRAPH

and

David Pearson 2003 VIP EBAY PREVIEW

Posted July 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink
afff

congrats at getting that set, it was fun watch

Posted July 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink
Albert Legaspi

it is really nice to see how emotional it was getting this pack! A true collector of BB cards…such a refreshing video as I enjoy seeing how people cherish certain cards ….. Much than the usual folks I’ve seen all the time at shows that flip cards for profit.

Posted July 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink
Rob Braxton

$200? For a set that rare, … that’s not that bad (at all).

It’s good when a set (or card) finds its home.

Posted July 14, 2012 at 7:33 am | Permalink
sumeet kalra

that was a really cool video. congrats on finding a rare set. that was one great movie.

Posted July 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink
Matthew

That was an awesome video. Didn’t even realize it was 12.5 minutes long. The excitement you had was amazing to watch.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink