Topps readies Series 2 wrapper redemption

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

With 2012 Topps Series 2 arriving next Wednesday, many a baseball collector might be ready to unwrap some of the fun that might be found inside the latest installment of the hobby’s most-bought brand.

And now all those wrappers are now good for something, too.

Topps announced on Friday that it will have a wrapper redemption program for the set — one which will have 10,000 hobby packs and 10,000 retail packs. It’s the first time that Topps has extended a redemption program to include retail.

There will be 50 players in the set and there will be autographs from Bryce Harper, Yu Darvish, Ken Griffey Jr. and others to be found.

For hobby packs, every 50 standard wrappers or for every 14 HTA Jumbo wrappers will get one five-card cello pack.

For retail packs, every 50 wrappers (12-card packs only) will get a five-card pack.

Only 10,000 of each type of pack available and they might vanish fast as the Bowman wrapper redemption supply of 10,000 was exhausted within a couple days of the product’s release last month.

Topps has the following requirements for collectors to receive packs:

— All packages must be postmarked no earlier than June 6.

— Hobby and retail wrappers must be mailed separately and marked “hobby” or “retail” on the outside of the package. Those who do not do this will not be eligible.

— There is a limit of 10 packs per household.

Topps will provide status updates on the program online via Facebook and Twitter.

The address to use for the redemptions is:

Gold Rush
P.O. Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642

Geoff

You mention the number of hobby wrappers twice. How many retail pack wrappers do you need to get a special Gold Rush pack?

Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Check the story again.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink
Ryan A.

So I would assume that Retail packs either don’t include autographs or are at much tougher odds?

Posted June 1, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink
Bill

How can a deadline be June 6 when the release day is June 6??

Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink
Matt O

Checklist?

Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

I wish all manufacturers did this for all products, even if it was for the same product. Like say for every 1,000 wrappers you bought and sent in, you’d get a free box of that same product, or a coupon for a later product. Something to entice collectors to keep collecting. I wish I had the money to get enough packs (though I don’t collect baseball sets) to at least get one redemption pack.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Not terribly excited. Anyone see a Koufax AUTO that was advertised from series 1 wrapper redemption (on ebay or otherwise)? The players I received from the series 1 redemption were pitiful. A dramatic dropoff from last year’s wrapper program.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink
joe

Chris, what is the deadline for the redemption. It says the earliest is June 6.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink
chrisolds

You can’t postmark before Wednesday. There is no deadline — when they run out of packs, they run out of packs.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink
Keith

I like the limit of 10 packs per household. The Bowman wrapper redemption was a joke. The only people who got them was the dealers who busted cases and sent them all in immediately. Those of us who are not in an area with a hobby store have to have boxes shipped to us. By the time we get them and send the wrappers in, there isn’t any left.

Posted June 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
ddizzal

sounds like another scam, I sent my bowman wrappers the weds it came out and never recieved my packs. Topps received them that friday too!!!

Posted June 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

I agree that a limit is great I feel the same IF this is for the hobbies and not the CASEBUSTERS who ruin it all for the average collectors. The Bowman redemptn was ludacris it just created another Parallel set wasnt really necessary.
Aside from my rant I would agree with XsteamN* this is a win win for a manufacturer a TRU CUSTMR. Rewards Program.What we need in the hobby and our Economy is INNOVATION.
Thanks again Beckett fro keeping me in the know.
Tw

Posted June 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink
Cincyscott

Thats neat!

Posted June 2, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

wow don’t you guys read the artical, so quick to point out something thats not there,i love this wrapper redemp. hope they look good in person, just finished the Blue wave base set not sure if i will attempt the autos or red cards, i hope that ddizzal will get a hold of topps and get his redemption packs, one thing i have learned is i pay a little extra to have someone sign for it or have a delivery comformationput on it it cost a little more not to much

Posted June 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
Jason McCuddy

Did anyone get any of these redemption packs yet? I sent out for two packs on June 6, it’s now June 24. I have heard nothing about the packs being released. I can’t find any info online either. Just wondering if anyone out there has any yet.

Posted June 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink