Readers Write: A creative and thoughtful collector

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

We get a lot of emails with ideas, questions and comments about the hobby, but the above video letter from basketball collector Folkert Leffring, who is from the Netherlands but living in Spain, was one of the more memorable and thoughtful ones we have received recently.

The challenges of collecting American cards overseas is one thing to consider. The challenges of collecting NBA autographs is even bigger.

Despite this, he crafts his own cards to send off to players for signing — and he had an idea about a potential charity auction that he wanted to share. We want to know what you guys think.

You can watch a second video he made showing off some of his other card creations he has made and had signed after the jump.

Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

First of all, Congratulations to the gentleman for his creativity and drive for getting those autographs. Secondly anything for charity is well worth the time and investment as long as it is for a good cause.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Some of those designs are more impressive than some of the basketball cards I’ve seen recently!

Posted May 15, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed watching these videos! I think the card companies should take note of this because if they don’t come out with new ideas soon we might as well make our own cards and be able to control what we want on them. I think the charity idea is a great idea and I think it will do well.

Beckett should consider having a contest where collectors can create their own cards and send them to Beckett and have the best cards showcased in an upcoming Beckett magazine and also featured on Beckett.com.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink
Michael Chase

I’m really liking the design of some of those cards. It makes me think about if I were to design cards, what would they look like? Even further than that, could hobbyist join together to create their own sets?

Posted May 16, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink
Ron

The starting five player booklets would be a great idea for a USA card company to try. This collector has some really great ideas and the cards do look great. The videos were fun to watch.

Posted May 21, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Dylan Bundy was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in 2011,Dylan played in the town I live in during his High School days.(Owasso Rams)

Posted May 24, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink
Tim

Love the creativity. I would pay for a custom one! Brilliant idea donating proceeds to charity. I hope this collector’s hard work and selflessness rewards him largely.

Posted December 3, 2012 at 9:11 am | Permalink