Panini America set to celebrate Father’s Day

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

First there was Black Friday, now there’s Father’s Day.

Panini America is bringing its hobby-shop holiday formula that it launched last November to the spring — June 17 to be exact.

Father’s Day.

“The Black Friday promotion was a phenomenal success for us and far exceeded our expectations,” said Jason Howarth, Panini America Vice President of Marketing. “We took the lead on this massive initiative in part because we wanted to bring the intense excitement of our wrapper-redemption programs at the National Sports Collectors Convention to local hobby shops across the country.

“But perhaps more importantly, we wanted to help hobby shops continue to be bona fide destination points for collectors. Father’s Day is the perfect time to introduce a new nationwide hobby initiative and it’s something we hope will become an annual event in the hobby. It’s fair to say we all remember the first time we got a pack of cards from our own fathers and gave that first pack to our own children. That shared excitement and experience of opening packs of Panini America cards between father and child is something we want to celebrate.”

The company is readying packs for distribution on the holiday — a multi-sport, exclusive-design set that will include autograph and memorabilia cards as inserts as well. It will feature stars from the Big Four sports as well as stars from a few others. The program will require a certain amount of product to be purchased in return for a certain number of packs. Details will be coming at a later date.

@Jaypers413

That Darvish looks so generic I bet I could buy it at my local supermarket.

Posted May 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

No thanks, I’ll pass. Darvish’s uniform/costume looks like he should be selling concessions through the aisles at a baseball game. Anyone else?

Posted May 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink
Slim Jim

If it wasn’t official it is now, Panini makes the worst sportscards in history. That Darvish card is a joke.

Posted May 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink
Ron

I agree. He looks like he should be behind the counter ai Dairy Queen

Posted May 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink
bearcatlawjd

I agree that Panini needs to stay away from generic baseball uniform type cards. That darvish looks really bad; however, the EEE Ichiro was pretty sweet. Triple Play 2012 looks like a step in the right direction with the art style on both the base cards and the hall of fame inserts.

Why not go back and look at your Studio and Diamond King cards from back in the day. Honestly I can’t figure out why we have not seen those brands return, they seem perfect for a company that doesn’t have an mlb license but can still produce hall of fame and mlbpa cards.

Posted May 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

To a degree, I think it’s the cropping on the baseball cards that isn’t real hot. Tighter crops will downplay the bareness of what’s on the cards.

Posted May 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink
Bobby Cooper

So is Yu Darvish a pitcher or the local milk man?

Posted May 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Mr. Olds, to a degree. If you cropped tighter on the card, you would only leave the viewer to look for more detail from the photo. Which can not be produced. I’m only referring to Panini’s MLB cards. There is no way Darvish could look cool/hot. It’s just him in a white jersey and blue hat with a glove. Panini is valiantly trying to produce some cards, but it’s just not that appealing. Chris, I’ve tried with EEE and playoff contenders. Onlynthe rated rookie logo is cool. All studio photos none at the ballpark. It just seems played out. Over and over agian.

I agree with you bearcatlawjd that Diamond Kings and Studio were great cards. I still have mine to this day. Love my Bonds and Schilling Diamond Kings. But from what I have seen an purchased nfrom Panini does not cut it. No mojo like the above mentioned.
Panini is big in European markets for soccer cards/stamps/stickers but, they truly need a kick in the pants for baseball. European company/money comes to America to conquer baseball card market and fails. You just can’t give some guys in Texas your money and company brand name expecting to succeed with no real direction. I’ve tried with Panini, but man really a Darvish card like this?
good luck

Long Beach, ca

Posted May 25, 2012 at 12:53 am | Permalink
card opinionator

Players pictured in their pajamas is just terrible. Who buys this stuff?

Posted May 25, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink
RJ

Regardless of how bad the Darvish card looks, I really want the Hope Solo and other soccer cards. Panini needs to get an MLB license.

Posted May 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink