First look: 2012 Score Football

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Contributing Editor

This year’s Score football card set could feel like a collector’s dream.

The 2012 Score set boasts 400 base cards – 300 veterans and 100 rookies – for one of the most expansive checklists in a football set this year.

But for many collectors the best part just might be the price at 99 cents a pack when it is scheduled to release in July.

Each hobby box will yield 36 packs. The breakdown of each hobby box looks like this: 24 Rookie Cards, 36 glossy parallels 34 additional inserts or parallels.

Some of the inserts include:
・ Complete Players
・ In the Zone
・ Numbers Game

For those wondering about hits, there aren’t many. That’s not the point of Score Football. Panini America has included printing plates, which are 1/1, for the 400-card base set. But autographs only fall at an average of four per 20-box case (Need a previous Score checklist or OPG? Click here).

Score has been around for a long time and is the type of set that appeals to set collectors and children. A fun product for a cheap price.

Susan Lulgjuraj is a contributing editor for Beckett Media. You can email Susan here. Follow her on Twitter here.

Anthony

Is it just me, or is that Score logo extraordinarily large for the autograph cards?
Panini’s design team sucks!

Posted May 15, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Anthony: Really … really? It’s only the brand of the card …

Posted May 15, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink
Bobby

SCORE! Sounds like hockey to me. Not football. Quality does look better this year. But it’s Score. I have never ever bought any. And don’t plan to. Waiting for Triple Threads.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Bobby: Score launched in 1988 for baseball, 1989 for football and 1990 for hockey. Just saying.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink
zotster

I love Score. It’s about the only brand left that’s truly for collectors. I was really happy the line got extended into hockey, although I hate the inclusion if the super short prints in that sport. Score is a brand where the fun is in collecting the entire base set, and I hope that never changes.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink
Anthony

Yes, Chris. Really. The Score logo almost takes up 1/4 of the card space. Half the card is text (only 6 short words) and a lot of empty space. The rest of the cards look OK, but that auto card is fugly. It’s just my opinion.

Posted May 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink
Travis

anyone know if they are still including “end zone, red zone, gold zone, etc? I read this twice and did not see it listed in the article. Or does that just mean inserts/variations/parallels? I love the end zones more than the autos!

Posted May 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink
Colesquat

the 2003 and 10 Score cards were my favorite, with the paint designs. they jsut look to plain now. Score is still my favorite card brand though. And Travis i hope they still do the end zone and gold zones etc. again

Posted June 6, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink