The world's most trusted source in collecting
Posted on May 4, 2012 – 11:24 pm | Author: chrisolds
Basketball | 1997-98 Metal Universe, 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metals Gems Red, Beckett Grading Services, featured, Fleer, Heritage Auctions, Michael Jordan, NBA | Comments (6)
By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor
A BGS 9.5 copy of Michael Jordan‘s 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metals Gems Red, a card (above) that is limited to just 90 copies and is the highest grade of its kind according to the BGS Population Report, sold for $41,825 through Heritage Auctions.
The card was one of more than 50 lots of graded Jordans sold via Heritage this week, each professionally graded by Beckett Grading Services or PSA. (Need an MJ-only checklist or OPG? Click here.) The Gems card was a runaway winner bidding-wise, but it wasn’t the only one to grab the attention of bidders. Get a rundown of a few other notable sales after the jump.
– A 1998-99 Upper Deck Jordan Jersey Autographs card, one of just 23 copies overall but one that’s a BGS 9.5/10 grade, sold for $8,962.
– A lot of 25 BGS 9.5 Jordan insert cards from the 1990s sold for $6,366.96, while a second lot commanded $1,792.50.
– A BGS 10 1985 Nike Jordan card sold for $2,151.
– A BGS 9.5 1996-97 E-X2000 Cut Above sold for $1,912.
– A BGS 9.5 copy of Jordan’s 1987-88 Fleer Sticker sold for $1,792.50.
– A BGS 10 copy of Jordan’s 1998/99 Skybox Thunder Noyz Boyz insert sold for $1,732.75, while five other auctions of BGS cards topped the $1,000 mark.
– A pair of PSA 10 1997 Ultra Stars cards (regular and gold versions) sold for $5,378.70.
– A 2008 Skybox Metal Universe Michael Jordan Precious Metal Red PSA 10 sold for $1,434
– A group of 11 1985 Nike cards all graded by PSA sold for $1,434.
– A 1986-87 Fleer RC graded a PSA 9 sold for $1,314.50, while a lot of 25 PSA 10 inserts and other cards went for $1,075.50.
Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.
A non-autographed, non-memorabilia, non-rookie card parallel with 90 copies made got that much, but a certified auto/jersey card limited to just 23 made a year later (and graded the same) got only around 1/5th as much? Price aside, I know which one I’d rather have …
Wow! Talk about over paying! That card isn’t worth a fraction of that. That was just two rich dudes with too much cash in their pockets bidding each other up. I agree with Zoster, the Auto/jersey card rated at the same 9.5 is the better card and has better collectors value and is just higher on the cool factor.
That Upper Deck Game Jersey Auto card is not as rare as one may think. There are 6 different UD versions of them, meaning 138 of those cards exist. Plus, there are way too many Jordan Auto cards and GU Auto pieces today. Over-saturated and abundant as the card industry took a big turn in early 2000′s and made Autos and Game Used cards the central theme. Consequently, the entire hobby is filled with nothing but Auto’s/GU/Serial #’d cards now. You can easily purchase a Jordan auto card for $100 bucks on eBay now.
However, it’s a totally different story when it comes to the really rare Low Serial #’d 90′s inserts. These are truly rare and more sought after when it comes to Jordan cards. The market doesn’t lie. eBay trends have proved this for over 3 years now and still going strong. Nothing is in more higher demand than these low serial #’d 90′s MJ inserts. If a PMG Red PSA 9 was sold for $14k recently, then a Population 1 BGS 9.5 GEM MINT example would bring exponentially higher which makes perfect sense. That card is one of the most sought after MJ inserts of all time and there are tons of collectors who would place that as their dream card.
You can easily purchase a Jordan auto card for $100 bucks on eBay now.
@Jun Not true. Ive never seen a jordan auto go for anything near $100 on ebay, no matter the card. Show me a single one even at $200 and ill be impressed.
HAHA. NEVER has a Jordan auto card sold for anywhere near $100 on ebay. You couldnt be more wrong. Show me a single one and ill buy you 10.
Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *