Ripping Retail Retro: 1989 Upper Deck

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds as he hosts Reed Kasaoka of Baseball Card Exchange (bbcexchange.com) for a retro pack break of 1989 Upper Deck in this latest episode of Ripping Retail.

What will they find inside? Watch and find out …

Next week’s rip: A pair of 1988-89 Fleer basketball wax packs

Norman Carlisle

this is the set and year that started me buying cards again. had some cards in the late 60′s but as a kid i traded or destroyed by bike all the cards. started buying for my sons in 89.

Posted April 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I remember in the day when I had a box with 5 Griffey’s in it, 1 was a card that was cut sideways and a guy paid me $20.00 for it. Sold most of my Griffeys for $5.00 a piece. was a great year for upper deck Baseball and Score Football.

Posted April 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink
Rob Braxton

Classic of classic sets.
I still value all my Upper Deck cards from their first 4-5 years of production; I think they’re undervalued currently – they’re just too impressive (especially for their age and photography and all that mind-blowing innovation back in ’89).

Feel free to put that Randy Johnson in the mail to me. ;)

Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:36 am | Permalink
Tom Waldron

AHH this takes me back I was always looking for Ken Griffey I remeber debating to buy the Factory set to just keep knowing it had his rc. At the time it went for 200.00 almost what his card booked for.Great stuf I do have a question are more older boxes starting to go up in value like boxes from 2001 with hopes of pulling Pujols or Ichiro. Quick story I took my son to 7-11 after a t-ball game bought 2 packs of Topps serires 2 hoping to get pujols or Ichiro but instead my son pulled a WHitey Ford golden greats on card auto.I have bought several packs of 2001 Topps 2 and find a great amount of cards stuck together. Are there any do’s and son’t when buying thses older foil boxes or is it just time.
Tom W

Posted April 3, 2012 at 6:15 am | Permalink
card opinionator

I loved the smell of those packs. Who would have thunk back then, they would be so cheap now?

Posted April 3, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink
steve santucci

I bought a box from BBCE back in the fall and pulled out 4 Griffey rookies, 2 came back evidenced of trimmed and two came back 8′s. This was the second set I completed in my early career as a collector, Back when I rode a bike to get around!

Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink