Your Turn: What’s your favorite autograph?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

We’re preparing this year’s edition of The Autograph Issue for Beckett Sports Card Monthly and want to know just one thing from you at the moment.

What’s your favorite autograph (and why)?

Maybe it’s a signed ball or a signed piece of scrap paper from a random meeting. Maybe it’s a certified autograph of a superstar — or maybe not even a sports autograph at all.

Tell us — and be sure to include your name and location, which will appear with your answer in the next issue.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Timothy Beck

1987 at the Texas Alumni game is Austin I really wanted Roger Clemens autograph but got to the game too late. So I was busy getting other stars. Calvin Schiraldi, Keith Moreland, Spike Owen to name a few. Then I hear Mike Konderola saying he didn’t want to face the aluminum bats because he forgot his cup. I offered to goto his car to retrieve it in exchange for him getting Roger’s autograph. Sure enough he gave me his keys and I went to the parking lot secured his cup and took it back to him. When I got back he had gotten Clemens autograph for me.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I know this will be considered a little silly by some but I would have to say my son’s autograph on his first professional baseball trading card… a very surreal moment for a proud Dad.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink
CUJO

My wife’s grandmother got a program signed by (then U.S. Senator) John F. Kennedy at a banquet, and it was given to us. It hangs proudly on the wall!

Clint Often
Fredericksburg, Va.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
Bobby

JARED WEAVER FOR CURRENT

ALL TIME CLEANEST AUTO “MICKEY MANTLE”

Posted February 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
James Haynes

My favorite autograph is Gene Chizik, Head Coach of the Auburn Tigers. I am a huge Auburn fan and it was awesome for me to see Coach Chizik and Cam Newton win the National Championship in 2010. I acquired the autograph through the Athletic Dept. and keep it in a frame. That’s why my Chizik auto is my favorite autograph.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink
James Haynes

James Haynes
Cullman, AL

Posted February 14, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink
chris hoffner

PEYTON MANNING 2001 UPPER DECK MVP CAMPUS CLASSICS GAME JERSEY AUTOGRAPHS #CCS-PM (#/25). CARD SHOWS HIM IN HIS COLLEGE UNIFORM AND HE ALSO ADDED HIS COLLEGE #16 TO THE AUTO, WHICH IS RARE. IT ALSO CONTAINS A PIECE OF COLLEGE JERSEY. INSTANT CLASSIC!

Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink
Nick Landry

My favorite autograph is my mystery cut that I pulled from 2009 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts. When I got the actual card, I wasn’t sure if I should be excited or not because I had no idea who he was. After Googling it, I discovered that it was the man who invented the sport of basketball, James Naismith. I knew then that I would never pull a card sweeter than this and I haven’t. It is a great peice of sports history especially considering that I live near Springfeild where he invented it.

-Nick L
Massachusetts

Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink
Seth Deschon

My Favorite Autograph Is a Mark Mosley Auto. I got a picture of him signed Because he was at a festival called Apple blossom.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink
kevin hurt tulsa

my peyton and archie manning autos I got on a run in after a colts bengals game.we stopped to watch the late games at a pub and they walked in. My nice leather colts hat was all I had on me for them to sign.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink
Janine

In 2003 my brother went to Saratoga Racetrack and brought me home a program which he had signed by all the jockeys who were in race 6. It included John Velazquez, Eibar Coa, Cornelio Velasquez, Jerry Bailey, Pat Day, Jorge Chavez and Edgar Prado.

Janine
New York

Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink
steve santucci

Mine is a Revolutionary War period document from Connecticut signed by future 2nd Secretary Of Treasury and under-study to Alexander Hamilton, Oliver Wolcott jr. ( i have two said docs signed by him). The documents are pay vouchers to soldiers in the Connecticut line of the Continental Army.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink
Shawn Campbell

maybe not my most valuable but definitely the nicest “Richard Petty” completely legible and clear,every auto of his i have ever seen is the same,I also have a stan musial before his auto got so squiggly thats also really nice , but I have one item I treasure even more , back when I worked security for the SD Padres when we went to the World Series I was lucky enough to work as a VIP escort and during Game #3 I had the honor of sharing a cigar with Milton Burel while we waited with his Grandson for there limo no its not an autograph but merely a cigar ring (Cuban I might add) but a memory I treasure.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
Bud

My favorite auto is a small one…. I pulled a Kenny irons auto from sage on my very first visit to a card shop. I traded the card to my best friend and ended up trading back for it a year later. Since then the card has stayed in my NFT Pc and I have have it as the center of my collection witch some people think is crazy compared to the other cards I have.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink
Phil

When the autographed insert card craze hit full stride around 2001, I jumped back in the hobby. I mainly started buying boxes that had retired players. My first autograph was a 2001 Topps Archives Bob Gibson reprint RC. But my favorite came just a little later in the year when I hit a Johnny Bench autograph out of Fleer Greats of the Game. Since then, I’ve made it a goal to get autographs from all of the members of the Big Red Machine that are available.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink
CJ

My Greg Maddux signed baseball. My ex-girlfriend got it off of Ebay for only $17 because the seller spelled Maddux as Maddox when he posted it.

I also have a Pete Rose bat that I gave to my step father for his birthday, but I have it back now that he passed away.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
Mark Fiscus

In 1970, my dad took me to an exhibition game of the Cincinnati Reds and the Indianapolis Indians. Indy was the AAA farm club of the Reds at the time. After the game, my dad took me behind the stadium where the Reds team bus was parked. I waited at the bus door for them to get on the bus. I have the Indians score book from that game with autographs of Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez, George (Sparky) Anderson, Hal McRae, Lee May, Pedro Borbon, Bo Belinsky and many, many others. The only person who wouldn’t sign was Dave Concepcion, and as a 10 year old boy, I always remembered that. Imagine being able to do this in todays world! And yes, it is framed and hanging on the wall.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
Corey

2010 Allen & Ginter Pujols…love the reddish frame…I tend to love autographs on mini and in frames.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink
Adam

Just this past spring, I was finally able to meet my idol and four-year-old son’s namesake, Ryne Sandberg, before a game between his LeHigh Valley Iron Pigs and our Gwinnett Braves. He gave my son a nice fist bump and inscribed his card, “To Ryne.” Until he’s old enough to really take care of it and appreciate it, it sits on his shelf and reminds me of what a truly great man of the game Ryne Sandberg is.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink
Alex Westgerdes

I went to the IndyCar drivers signing in May of 2011. The forty drivers trying to make the field for the 2011 Indy 500 were there.

They are the drivers split up in two groups of twenty. I had my wife and daughter go into the Danica Patrick line (the lines were named after the last driver signing in the group) while I went into the Helio Castroneves line. I took my poster I had with me are wished her luck. I got my poster signed by Dario Franchitti, Will Power, Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, and Dan Wheldon, among others. When I got done with my poster and handouts, I went back to the line to see my wife and let her know that i was done. Little did I know that she hasn’t started getting autographs yet! I gave her the poster and let her run it through the line…Danica, Marco Andretti and Tony Kanaan were the big names who signed my poster.

By the time I she was done, we had 29 signatures on the poster (due to the massive autograph watchdogs in my line, I could only get two autographs from each driver…I had to make sure that my daughter got a few cards as well) and 73 hero cards signed!!! The poster meant even more to me when Dan perished in the wreck in Vegas this past October. This is a piece that is definitely “NOT FOR SALE”.

Posted February 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink
Robert Braxton

1977 Topps design of a Topp ATFF Mark Fidrych

Posted February 14, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink
Todd Warden

My favorite on-card auto would be the Topps Fan Favorites Buck O’Neil. After watching Ken Burns’ Baseball documentary, there isn’t anyone who could make you feel better about loving a sport. As far as anything else, I have a Mickey Mantle autographed ball that my dad got signed for me at a card show in St. Louis in the early 90′s. That ball is one of my favorite posessions.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 12:52 am | Permalink
Jason Taylor

Mine is a signed photo of Priest Holmes and myself. I met him at training camp with the Ravens, and he was nice, conisderate, and took the time to have a real conversation with me. The next year, I brought with me the photo I’d taken of us and he remembered our conversation, and signed the photo. It’s great when athletes show a human touch.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

I would say my either my Don Mattingly Auto RC that I sent to him at Dodgers Stadium and he sent back, or my active baseball that has 9 retired and active Atlanta Braves players, to include Dale Murphy.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink
logan

My most favorite autographed card is my nelson cruz card. I was at the game when he hit the walk off grand slam in the playoffs. It was a awesome moment.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink
Mike De

Mine was opening a box of 2007 upper deck premier
and finding a UD Premier Babe Ruth Cut Autograph Ticket
Stub1/ of 1.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink
T. Smith

Very first pro baseball game I went to..Dodgers 1982,Favorite Player was Steve Garvey.Got to game early enough, batting practice just finishes and he is sighing by dugout, and I managed to get his auto on the ball I brought to the game.Still to this day a favorite memory,and I still have the ball.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
steve miller

My favorite autograph is a signed Chipper Jones alternate road jersey that my in-laws bought me for christmas one year. It’s my favorite because Chipper is my favorite player & how cool is it that my in-laws would put that much thought into a gift for their son-in-law!

Steve Miller
Goshen, IN

Posted February 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink
Scott Stelzer

My favorite autograph is my 2008 Razor Cut autograph of recording country super star Faith Hill. I believe it’s a one of one and the only known certified auto she has ever had. I have never seen a certified on card auto of hers at all on Ebay or any where else.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink
Michael

In 2001 I was at a Rangers event where Mark Messier and Adam Graves signed a replica Stanley Cup. Still my favorite piece of memorabilia…

Posted February 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
Jason

OK, I’m certain this will be the worst player anyone has ever had as a “favorite autograph”, but here it goes… I got my first in person autograph at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. My old man’s work had season tickets a couple rows behind the visitors dugout, so I usually was only able to get autographs from the visiting team. I didn’t know autograph etiquette (what kind of ball or pen to use, etc.). I just knew I should always be polite to the players… Call them Mr. ______ if you knew their name, or Sir if you didn’t… And always say please and thank you.

I saw a player chatting with a coach in front of the dugout. The coach went back into the dugout and the player was just about to do the same. I found my voice and said “Excuse me, Sir. Could I have your autograph?” The player seemed a little surprised by the question, but said “Sure, kid.” I handed him my ball (with the terrible synthetic leather cover) and an eraser mate pen (the only one my mother had in her purse). I thanked him, and told him that he was my first autograph. He chuckled and said “Mine too.”

I went back to my seat a happy kid. The player never played in the game. I only knew who it was later after looking up his number in my program and trying to decypher the already smudging ink on my cheap ball.

His name was Benny Distefano. That name won’t mean much to most people (probably the only people who remember his playing career are me and Mrs. Distefano). But aside from being my first autograph, he does hold a very cool distinction. He was the last left handed catcher in the history of Major League Baseball. Anybody who understands the game will tell you that it is very likely there will NEVER be another left handed catcher in the majors. I kinda hope there never is, because it makes my first (and favorite) autograph a little cooler.

Jason Kaul
The ONLY St. Louis Cardinals fan in Olean, NY

Posted February 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink
Kevin Smith

My favorite autograph is actually tattoed on my body for all eternity. I’m a huge KISS fan and have had many opportunities to meet various members of the band. On one occasion, I had Gene Simmons sign the tattoo of his face I have on my calf and then rushed over to a tattoo shop in Hollywood, CA to have it “inked in” permanently. Nothing like having a certified autograph on your skin!

Posted February 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink
Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith
Riverside, CA

Posted February 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink
cincyscott

Arnold Palmer autographed in person. My balding head paid for the price of waiting in line with out any sunscreen on it but it was worth it. My brother pulled a 2001 SP authentic SOFT red Tiger Woods auto with a low serial number he since got it graded and sold it for a mint a couple years ago before the scandal hit.

Posted February 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

My 1995 Playoff Prime John Elway autographed card, numbered to 50. That year, he signed 50 cards in 10 different brands, numbering the card in each brand to 50. I have that, and I have the oversized card from that year numbered to 300 detailing how the program was done.

My goal is to have at least one card from each brand from that year. So far just the one, but I’m going to keep looking.

If anyone can help, please email me at clayelirogers@gmail.com, or leave a comment on my site.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink
e carter

Mark Lemke signed unused ticket from Game 4 of the 1991 World Series where he hit three triples in one game. Best autograph by far. I was at that game. They never tore my ticket. I was 16.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
chris hoffner

CHRIS HOFFNER
CANTON, OHIO

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink
Rob

My favorite auto is one I don’t have. It is the 2010 Limited football “Americas Team” Auto 1/1 Jason Witten. This is the only card I need to complete the “Americas Team”master set.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I camped out for about 14 and a half hours to meet my favorite athlete, Matt Kemp. Getting to spend that much time with wonderful people and then meet my favorite player, who personalized an 8×10 for me with his awesome nickname – The Bison – was an experience I’ll never forget. He also bought all of us dinner.

Gregory Zakwin
Culver City, CA

Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:04 am | Permalink
Gary Blas

My best autograph to date came in 2005. I was living in Seattle at the time and read in the newspaper that Chief Sealth High School was hosting a traveling museum exhibit of the Negro Leagues. The day I attended the exhibit, the school was also having an assembly which was open to the public, and had the legendary Buck O’Neil as their guest speaker. As I walked into the auditorium I was able to sit in the front row. Seated to my left was a gentleman with his wife, that I struck up a conversation with until the start of the assembly. After about ten minutes, Buck O’Neil walked into the room to a standing ovation and took the vacant seat to my right. Being a baseball fan this was an awesome moment for me to sit next to not just a legend, but a true pioneer to the sport. Buck noticed the gentleman sitting to my left and immediately asked him how his family was doing. Come to find out, this gentleman was Bill Holloman, one of the legendary Tuskegee airmen, and he and Buck had been old golfing buddies. So not only am I in the same room with two historic figures, but I am sitting directly next to them as well. After the assembly, I kindly asked each of these gentleman for their autograph and they obliged. Knowing that Buck was going to be in attendance at the assembly, I had a baseball in hand and had each one of them sign it. Even if I came away with no autographs that day, it still ranks very high as one of the greatest moments in my life.

Posted February 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink