Panini addresses customer service concerns

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

Panini America addressed collector concerns about its customer service department and the long-standing, industry-wide issue of redemption cards on Monday after a number of collectors had recently expressed frustration with an inability to get in touch with representatives for the company.

According to a company statement, Panini is restructuring the department to expedite deliveries as well as follow through on replacement scenarios in a more timely fashion when needed.

The full statement can be found after the jump.

“We have taken on a restructuring of the CS division for a number of reasons …  some of which include CS and former employees saying they will send something out to collectors and then not following through. Another factor was the failure to respond to collectors in an efficient fashion. … As soon as it was determined that the division needed some changes, we wanted to immediately communicate it on the phones with an automated message — this was the very first and the quickest/most immediate step we could take at this time to ensure we were making customers aware. There will be more to come on that front. And yes, please be patient during this process.

We want collectors to recognize that we do pay attention and listen to what you have to say. Consider collectors dissatisfaction with customer service as one of the key drivers to restructuring the CS division.

Panini’s perspective so we are all clear and you hear it directly from us:

CUSTOMER SERVICE
It’s not acceptable for anyone at Panini to not be responsive to our consumers. We recognize that because we are not in the business of trying to [anger] collectors.  Believe it or not we do listen and care about what collectors have to say. That goes for incorporating elements into our products, refining what we do — all the way to customer service. Every component is touched with interaction/feedback from customers. It’s fair to say you see this on the blog as just one example in how we communicate and interact with collectors.

As for Customer Service, we recognize it’s a process and we at Panini are committed to fixing it. We wish it could happen overnight, unfortunately we recognize it can’t — although we are doing our best to expedite the process and do what we can right now as we undergo this restructuring. We would ask all of you to be patient, but recognize that you have already been patient and it is on us to fix the situation. In the coming weeks we will hire a new Customer Service Manager that will help lead this group in a meaningful way.

REDEMPTIONS
This is a multi-faceted issue, some of which we can’t always control. However, it’s our responsibility to do everything we possibly can to control redemptions and ensure that they are processed in a timely fashion. Be assured that we are working on this on a number of levels with players, agents, player associations and Panini resources (internal and external). Hopefully, many of you have seen that we have processed a ton of redemptions over the last few weeks and more of that will continue on a weekly basis, as redemptions come in and are processed.

We try to communicate redemption fulfillment the best we can, often times a personal email response which would be ideal does not always work. So we rely on other platforms to communicate this such as our blog with periodic redemption updates — it’s important to note that when we do post it on the blog it does not always include everything that has been or is being processed. Here is a recent example from last week: Panini America Redemption Card Update: The Valentine’s Day 2012 Edition

Again, we are working through these as best we can and as fast as we can and doing all within our power (even more than that) to get redemptions fulfilled. So be patient but know that we are continuing to resolve this. There will be more to come over the next several weeks and months during this restructuring of customer service and we look forward to sharing those changes and developments with collectors.”

Mark

It’s about freaking time. I have so many unfilled redemptions. They don’t answer e-mails, and calling them was a big old waste of time. People can complain about Upper Deck all they want, but Panini is the worst with redemptions and customer service.

Posted February 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink
Chris Wardner

Talk is cheap…how about getting me my redemptions from 2009 Plates and Patches…which is almost a 2 year old product? Maybe sending me a couple of super sweet cards that are clearly better than what I am owed???

Posted February 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink
Daniel Steinmann

Panini’s Customer Service is the worst ever, they tell you one thing then do another, they have even sent me a $50 auto/patch in nothing but a penny sleeve, they never respond to messages left on their voice mail or on the their actual websites, they are poorly managed. Now last time I called I was told they won’t even look to see if a redemption is in for at least 6 months, really then why do you have a 4 month option. I just call to see if they got any of my redemption’s in, I have never received a card from them without calling to see if they have it, not impressed at all.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink
Tom Santoli

What a joke. All we keep hearing about is how panini and upper deck are addressing this long known problem with redemptions. Both have fired their customer service management, and have admitted to complete failure with the redemption process. Most collectors wait over a year for some redemptions and many have no chance or intention of ever being fulfilled. The whole redemption idea is like a built in financing plan on the backs of the collectors. If companies were forced to timely produce the redemption cards or a pre-stated value for the cards it would change what these companies have been doing to collectors. They don’t have the intent or ability to give us what they have promised. I wish someone would create a card collector advocacy that would collect monies from collectors to use towards representation of card collectors against this mistreatment. I for one would give my share to put these guys in a position to either be reasonable with their performance on promises or face financial consequences in court. With a represented advocacy at least these companies would have to answer to these abuses. I am at a point that I would rather check on the status of my lawsuit then on the status of my redemption fulfillment.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 4:50 am | Permalink

they shoukd call it the BS davision instead of the CS davision, 2 years for an auto that i’ve seen on resent cards last commo. was August of last year, i get so tiered of long explination of the same problem year after year, only to wait. easy fix stop trying to beat the others, every year it seems that to get ahead the products are earlier and this causes more redmptions, or to many back to back products, some of these players must have to sign 3 or 4 thousand cards maybe more, stop the maddness, i through that limiting card companys liecensing mite help but it did not, maybe they are over there head, it mite be lack of care, maybe both. but it needs to stop, each year more and more redemption are inserted not less, as claimed. i’ve seen 3 redemption in 1 box panini was so eager, but they are falling into the same mode as many companys have in the past, “Just Saying”

Posted February 21, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink
Don Davis

More Lip service

Posted February 21, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink
chrisolds

I really hope some of you guys actually read the item — not sure based on the comments.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink
& co.

ever since tracey hackler joined panini the company has gone downhill. sad but true

Posted February 21, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink
Ken Anderson

Well, at least management is finally acknowledging there’s been a long-term problem. Hopefully Panini is sincere re resolving their many issues, but “they” have been singing the same tune for years! Time will tell, I guess, but until I start getting responses to my redemption emails requesting updates, substitutions, etc and have a couple of my answering machine calls returned, I’ll remain skeptical….. By the way, Boss, is there some reason an athlete’s autograph/card
contract cannot be voided if he/she fails to provide items within specified timeframes?

Posted February 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink
Ken Anderson

And yes, Chris, I read the entire article!

Posted February 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

I hope a good portion of the NHL redemptions were recently resolved as the All-Star game had many players there and I’m sure a few of them had some redemptions. The same should go after this weekend. With the NBA All-Star game in Orlando this weekend, Panini should be grabbing, as we speak, all of the cards of any player set to be at the All-Star weekend and be there no later than Thursday. I don’t know how to check, but I’m curious if there are any Blake Griffin redemptions currently waiting to be fulfilled since they show videos of him there often. I know I’ve seen redemptions for Kobe’s, yet he’s supposedly and exclusive signer. I really do hope that they address this issue in a prompt and attainable manner, but like most have said, until it’s done, it’s hard to believe.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
Anthony

I bought a pair of Kobe autographed shoes from Panini Authentic and they sent it in a box for a similar pair of shoes, but the wrong style/color. I thought that was pretty careless. I sent them an email and I got zilch in response. I tried to post a review on their site, and of course it wasn’t approved. They are awful!

Posted February 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink
Garrett

Classic Chris Olds !!!! “You didn’t read the item”,,,,, No Chris you are ultimately paid by the card companies and therefore seem to always take their side. No card companies, No Beckett, No JOB !!!! One time I/ WE would like you to take our side….. The whole idea of redemptions is like me offering property on the moon or the deed to the London Bridge. If you don’t have it don’t offer it. If the players are not following through then quit putting them in the products. I for one have had it with Panini. I opened a case of Plates and Patches and got a redemption in every pack. There is something inherently wrong there !!!

Posted February 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink
Garrett

Oh Yeah, Based on the responces it would seem abundently apparent that folks are sick and tired of pathetic customer (non) support. I truely hope Panini is sincere and Upper Deck and Topps follow suite.

Posted February 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

whats worse for me is when I did manage to get a response from Panini they said they would send the card but that was quite a while ago and I still haven’t seen the card.Chris olds what a joke my favorite times with him are when he’s behind the camera, when he doesn’t talk. of course we read the article, its just hard to believe someone who has disappointed you so many times. action speaks louder than words.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink
Scott

I think people would take their statement more seriously if we hadn’t heard this before. Panini was restructuring their Customer Service Department in May 2011. Also, if they are so serious about it, you would think that they would trumpet it on their blog, which they have not.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Garrett: That’s not the case at all.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink
Jeff Kruer

Well, I’ve actually had better luck with Panini regarding redemptions than with either Upper Deck or Topps. Upperdeck was such a terrible experience, I no longer buy any UpperDeck product. Topps at one time was actually pretty good. There were times they sent extra cards due to long delays. Now it seems almost every redemption takes months to get, and they don’t seem to care. The whole laundry list of excuses why they have redemptions are pretty weak.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
Don Davis

Chris
You know you will be a Panini supprorter, they are a freaking sponsor for your magizine. All I know screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

Posted February 23, 2012 at 9:13 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Don: Our magazines are not “sponsored” by Panini. Advertisers, such as Panini, buy ad space for their ads.

Posted February 23, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink
Joe

chrisolds

Chris not to bash but that is what SPONSORED Means. Have you ever heard the old line on tv shows going to a commercial “and now a word from our SPONSOR”

Posted February 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Joe: Not accurate at all. Television shows are not print media. Advertising is not sponsorship — there is a major difference.

Advertisers have no influence upon the editorial direction, content or, most importantly, my view on an issue such as this. In fact if “sponsorship” was a concern, this story would not have existed at all.

Posted February 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink
RJ

I don’t even bother… When I get a redemption, I put it in the website, and if I get it, it’s like winning a very small lottery with very very low odds. To be fair, it’s not just Panini, but since my wife and I collect a lot of hockey, we can only speak for them, (as we eschewed Upper Deck for the same problems).

When opening a box at the local shop, I watched a kid get a redemption card, and placed it in his “decoy” pile. He must have been 8 maybe 9. His dad explained to him what it was, and told him he would get the card. The kid’s response was reminiscent of so many comments here. “Whatever, dad!”

If the card companies don’t try to change that “Whatever, dad” mentality that so many collectors get, our hobby will die. I don’t think they get that. We can hope I guess… ITG though, has great turnaround.

Posted February 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
George

Customer Service was great with returning calls, fulfilling available redemptions, replacing damaged cards etc……. up until February 2011 when these drastic changes were supposedly made to the department to make things run better which will be difficult for the company to return to. They should bring Natalie Rose back to whip things back into shape. Just saying………..they shouldn’t try to fix what wasn’t broken to begin with.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I put in a Kobe Bryant auto/jersey redemption card on December 10, 2010. I have e-mail Panini over five time about replaceing the card and all I get is false promises? What does a person have to do? The card is worth good money and I bought it to re-sale and make money. What a joke this comany is!!!

Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink
ernest lantto

customer service has gotten wosre since they fired evryone and replaced them. i guess now they don’t need customers as they feel they don’t need to respond to them. send enough emails to their company president you might get a response. i used to have a real good repore with them and since they hired their new customer service manager ( DAVID SHARP ) now i get no response from them period.
BAD BUSINESS PANINI.

Posted June 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink
John Tindall

I have five Panini redemptions outstanding and two are a YEAR OLD! No replies to inquiries, nothing. I bought my last box of Panini.

Posted June 29, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink
travis senske

ive been waitin on an omer asik rookies and stars team patch platinum auto /1 omer signed this set 2x and still couldnt get the /1 sighed according to panini. but i feel that it was sent out as a replacement to someone else and i was never to get this card and as a replacement i as sposed to receive a monta ellis trophy case sig prime patch 1/1 now was this card never inserted into packs or is the redemption for this one just going to be void to the person that redeems it and theyll have to go through the same thing i did to get their card? either way its bait and switch and thats not ok in my book or the laws how do we get this fixed?this product is still live and just came out a couple months ago so how is this possible?

Posted July 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
travis senske

now to get this to stop we all know what we need to do, ive done it already, but it takes us all, stop buyin panini products. period. and the problem gets addressed either panini fixes problems and rest of industry follows or panini doesnt fix it, goes back to italy to make stickers, and the rest of the industry fixes it due to panini goin bankrupt take your pick but it involves puttin down the crack and not buyin product it really sucks for me cuz i collect basketball and the only year that i can buy that doesnt cost an arm and a leg is 06-07 and you know how bad that year is

Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink
travis senske

and if someone gets a redemption for 2011-12 limited trophy case signatures prime #17 1/1 let me know id like to see how they were gonna get outta that one hehe

Posted July 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink
Steven Baker

Hoping David Sharp is legit. I got several redemptions and no response to request. Ask for replacements after the 4 months and service to me have been seriously poor. Starting to not like Panini period due to lack of service.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I cannot get Panini to post these submissions on their official blog website, they keep ignoring me and probably think I am trying to stir up trouble. I’m just looking to see these ideas in print, get feedback from other collectors, and I am especially curious if other companies handle their redemptions with as much blatant disregard for the collectors. Thanks.

grnlntrn88 PERMALINK
April 16, 2013 4:51 pm
Please Note: Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Tracy, I had some questions about the redemption process that I am hoping you can answer.

First off, is there currently a backlog of cards that have already been returned by athletes that have not yet been sent out to customers ? Also, is is safe to assume that once a product has hit the shelves, that all of the cards have been sent out to the athletes for signatures ?

I highly agree with the post by Sergio D. –

there should be some incentive on the players end to return cards back to Panini in a timely manner. i.e. a contract bonus that activates if the cards are received within 2-3 months from the date they were received by the player, or a penalty for overdue product. Can you tell us if something like that is already in place ?

Finally, is there some type of program in place that takes care of your customers who have been waiting (in some cases) several years for their signed cards ? Such as a “Redemption Card Customer Appreciation Program”, in which a customer would receive a bonus signed card by the same athlete once their submitted redemption became a year old, and a subsequent bonus card for every additional year they had to wait. A program like that also should not force a customer to select a replacement after a 4-8 month timeframe. That should be a courtesy, with the customer allowed to decline and continue to wait for the promised card, and still receive bonus cards as a gesture of goodwill from Panini.

Does Panini have a program like this in place, or has the company considered it ? It seems that a greater incentive on both sides would offer the most benefit to collectors….

I would also be curious to see if something like this would be of interest to other customers in this forum.
Thanks for your time.

grnlntrn88 PERMALINK
April 17, 2013 5:02 pm
Please Note: Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I’m curious as to why my post suggesting player contract incentives for returning cards in a reasonable amount of time, and a program rewarding customers for their patience by issuing bonus cards signed by the same athlete once a redemption request became a year old was not approved ? Did that post violate site policy in some way ?

Some info for problems with Panini America:

Customer Service Manager: dsharp@paniniamerica.net
Customer Service Dept: hobby@paniniamerica.net

Panini America, Inc.
5325 FAA Blvd.
Suite 100
Irving, TX 75061

(800) 852-8833
(817) 662-5300

Customer Support (817) 662-5203

Their Twitter account and their blog website seem to be at their discretion what to ignore/post… PM’s will also largely be ignored.

Finally, here is a link everyone might want to consider:

Looks like they already have plenty of complaints…

Posted April 21, 2013 at 6:31 am | Permalink
Gbulldogs1010

Panini america just screwed me over today. Here are the replacements

Received:
04/07/2013 9:46 AM
by: Panini2012 Panini Crown Royale
Rookie Silhouette
Redemption: JJ7ICFINCI8Card#261 ( / 349)
DeVier Posey

CB
View Shipping?

Received:
03/30/2013 4:29 PM
by: Panini2012 Playoff Contenders
Rookie Ticket RPS Variations
Redemption: 81nk17dj4h6Card#233 ( / )
DeVier Posey
Houston Texans
Houston Texans
WR

Replaced:
08/23/2013 3:06 PM
by: Panini2012 Panini Prime Signatures
Rookies Prime SignaturesCard#206 (112 / 199)
Green Bay Packers
Marc Tyler
Green Bay Packers
TE
View Shipping?
Received:
03/27/2013 6:43 PM
by: Panini2012 Playoff Contenders
Rookie Ticket RPS Variations
Redemption: jdg44dkfkb4Card#233 ( / )
DeVier Posey
Houston Texans
Houston Texans
WR

Replaced:
08/23/2013 3:07 PM
by: Panini2012 Panini Gridiron
RookiesCard#203 ( / )
Andre Branch
Jacksonville Jaguars
Jacksonville Jaguars
DE

Look how badly they screwed me over

Posted August 26, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink