First look: 2012 Topps Chrome baseball cards

By Chris Olds |  Beckett Baseball Editor

If Bowman is the home of the Rookie Card, then Topps Chrome might be the home of the diecut card.

Topps unveiled the basic product information and preview images for2012 Topps Chrome on Wednesday, and there is not one but two new diecut insert sets to chase with autographed versions in tow, too.

Oh, and there will be two autographed cards per box as well as Refractor Hot Boxes to be chase, too — one in every three cases — when it arrives on Aug. 22.

The base set will consist of 220 base cards each with autographed patch variations limited to just 10 copies as well as redemption cards good for uncut sheets. Each card will be found with Refractors and Xfractors as well as Blue, Black, Sepia, Gold, Red and Atomic Refractors, too. Hobby-only 1/1s include Superfractors and printing plates as well.

On the autographed side, the constant in Chrome is the autograph and this year’s autographed Rookie Cards will showcase at least 25 players, each signing directly on the card. Rays rookie Matt Moore and a Seattle Mariners Jesus Montero are the headliners here with the same lineup of Refractors available. The standard Refractors will be limited to 499, while the Atomics will be limited to 10.

But diecuts are not all that’s new with Chrome this year.

A new inclusion here is the Cut From the Same Cloth Autographs set — a double-sided, double-autographed card limited to just five copies apiece. One pairing, for example, will have Buster Posey and Joe Mauer, while another will have Dustin Pedroia and Robinson Cano.

Also new — and also diecut — are the Dynamic Diecuts cards. There will be 50 stars showcased here in this ornate, one-per-box find. Autographed versions of these cards will be limited to 25 or fewer copies.

Also new are dual autos and autographed Chrome buybacks — each limited to just 10 copies. The Buybacks will feature Rookie Cards of players who never had a signed Topps Chrome RC — notables there will include Jose Bautista, Joe Mauer, Robinson Cano, Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder among others. The last new inclusion for ink are the Chrome Encounters autos, which are hobby-only and all limited to just 10 copies or less.

Some of the other autographed rookies tentatively lined up for this one include Brett Lawrie, Brad Peacock and Drew Pomeranz, while players on other autograph cards will include Albert Pujols, Lawrie, Michael Pineda, Matt Kemp, Jay Bruce, Mike Trout, Robinson Cano, Jose Bautista, Fielder, Justin Verlander, Ryan Braun, Eric Hosmer, Clayton Kershaw, Paul Goldschmidt and Ubaldo Jimenez to name a few.

RJ51

Those diecuts are nice. It would be better without those stickers though.

Who’s autograph is on the Robinson Cano? That doesn’t look like his.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink
steve-o

when are they going to add the rest of the color spectrum wheel & then for the future start creating their own colors ?!?!?!?! LOL

Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink
Shawn Campbell

no thanks

Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink
kevin hurt tulsa

I can not stand die cuts thanks for the heads up will stay away from these. not to mention sticker autos the refractor hot box is a good idea though. I love me some refractors better than base junk.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink
kevin

umm..who cares about die cuts…it’s still the regular card with pieces missing.pretty dumb

why don’t we just make packs of dollies with players faces on them and sell them.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink
Sal Rinauro

I love die cuts. I can’t explain it, I just do. Die cut + Chrome=Empty bank account.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Permalink
Anthony D'Amalio

Die Cuts were cool back before the auto/jersey/relic revolution. I remember pulling a Mattingly die cut Gold Glove card and thinking it was the greatest thing of all time. These aren’t cut into a shape that relates to the card or a design involving the player, or any piece of equipment. Therefore, I have to agree with Kevin. Just give me the whole card, thanks. Refractor “Hot Box”? Yeah, I’ll be lucky to buy one box, and odds are still against me on that. I’m not a fan of the refractors, but I am a fan of SELLING them.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink
Erick Reichard

@rj51 that cano auto is same they used for his 2003 bowman rookie card… its the signature he used when he signed his topps contract.

Posted February 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink
david jones

What are you guys talking about, how can you not like die cut cards but i think the card shouldnt just be cut out but have a purpose to the die cut to male it look like something

Posted February 16, 2012 at 12:41 am | Permalink
Shad

Don’t like the little ” Topps Certified Autograph ” banner. I mean do we really need that to know it’s certified by Topps ? How many people are going to try and fake something like that ?

Posted February 16, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink
Adam Shoemaker

Yay!!! MORE colors of the SAME card. (Sarcastic grin)
When will Topps realize that everyone is tired of 10+ variations of the SAME card?! Does Topps have no inspiration left in the ENTIRE company? I love Die-cut cards, but not when they just cut the base card and/or colored variation!!! Can’t Topps make any NEW significant contribution to the hobby? 20 versions of the same card (including die-cut/Au’d/Patch, etc.) is NOT innovation, nor is it what collectors are looking for. I am soooooo fed up with Topps.
I haven’t bought any MLB cards since 2009 JUST b/c of Topps’ releases. They ruined Finest by making all the ‘hits’ prospect AU’s, then added more colors of refractors, then subtracted a couple but they still won’t make a product I like anymore. Topps Chrome and Finest were my favorite sets for years until they ruined both. Now they just keep changing them in the wrong way. I can’t wait for the exclusive license to end so that we can see some competition in MLB cards. Until it does end, I will continue to boycott MLB card products.

Posted February 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink
steve-o

hey Shad……to answer your question of who is going to fake something like that ?? Id say……..ANYONE who sees an easy opportunity to make quick cash !!! I dont think the criminal minds of our world care what they are making their quick cash from-as long as they can do it easy & quick…….and I’m not saying that a majority of these cards are worth much (look back at the last 10 years of Topps Chrome auto’s and see howmany are above the ‘mendoza line’ of card collecting)

I bet Topps still has some of that low-low grade product left- that they printed their 2010 Topps Chrome baseball & their 2011 Topps Finest baseball on, that bows up like crazy (those are just 2 products I know of, that ‘bowed up’…..I’d bet there was much more than that !!!! )

Posted February 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

I already have all of the chrome cards. My dad works at topps so I can get all the cards I want

Posted February 22, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink
Bob

Robinson Cano’s card has Jose Reyes’s signature on it.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
Thommy

Does anyone know what a refractor hot box is?

Posted March 5, 2012 at 1:29 am | Permalink
Chris

I’m ready for Topps Chrome this year. Last year I put together my first player Rainbow with 2011 Topps Chrome. And as a Player Collector I love the colored parallels and different refractors. Gives me a lot to chase since I’m not interested in collecting from the whole team.
However, I do have one big gripe this year; Why Are You Not Making 2012 Joey Votto Autographs, Topps?!!
Votto never had a Topps Chrome RC so he’s a perfect candidate for the 2012 Chrome Buyback Autographs!!
It’s so aggravating to see all these great looking autos and patch autos this year knowing Topps isn’t including Votto in the Checklist. I’ve spent nearly all of my collecting funds in 2012 chasing previous year’s cards knowing nothing’s coming out for my PC this year.
What’s up, Topps? Reach out to Votto and get him to sign!!
*sigh* aside from that huge detail, I am totally stoked about putting together his 2012 Topps Chrome Rainbow.

Posted July 24, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink
jesse munox

Does anyone know if Miguel Cabrera will be in the Die Cut Auto??

Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink
steve

When is the 2012 topps chrome be listed in Beckett price guide

Posted August 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Check Beckett.com OPG tomorrow morning.

Posted August 31, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink
tom

do these colors have autos in topps chrome 2012 baseball ???
purple
orange

Posted July 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. By 2012 Topps Chrome Info | 2012 Topps on February 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

[...] 2012 Topps Chrome Beckett First Look [...]

2. [...] or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here. Beckett News First look: 2012 Topps Chrome baseball cards __________________ Shop for Sports Cards and Trading [...]