Box Busters: 2011 Playoff Contenders Baseball

Join Beckett Baseball‘s Brian Fleischer and Chris Olds as they rip into a pair of 2011 Playoff Contenders Baseball boxes from Panini America in this latest edition of Box Busters.

What will they find inside? Watch and find out …

Phil

Topps fired their airbrush guy years ago…Panini hired him and now the poor guy has to retire from hand cramps working on this set!!!

Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink
steve-o

hairlinecrease: answer to your question is- AS LONG AS WE THE CONSUMER SUPPORT THEM BY BUYING IT ( “it” being whatever they sell to us )

Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink
steve-o

and you mention that they “were more successfull” than you were on their box break……well, I know that I dont have physical proof-but wouldnt most of my fellow collectors out there agree that more than likely Beckett gets “very specific hand picked boxes” sent to them (or possibly in this case they are driven across town……Im not sure, since I don’t reside in the Texas area) for their box-busters ?!?!?!?!

Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Steve-o: Once again, you are incorrect. As Panini has said many times in many places, they get a sample case for those on their mailing list (not just Beckett) and boxes are pulled from it and sent out. But, more importantly, I’ll tell you that the boxes were sent via FedEx. (I’ve never even seen the current Panini building, let alone set foot in it.)

Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

steve-o

I suppose that could be true, but this product does seem to have some legs as a well publicized key release for Panini after getting the MLBPA license. The real question is can it hold up through the next release, and the one after that, without logos and uniforms. I see some collectors reacting already to the fact that they are missing.

The real question is for MLB licensing them, there should multiple licensed card companies. The best cards were/are produced when card companies compete (early 1950’s, early 1990’s).

I honestly don’t know if Beckett gets hand picked boxes, I’d like to think they get the same as everyone else (I don’t always see them pull huge cards). Anything’s possible, but without knowing I’m not willing to throw that around.

Cheers,

Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink
deez

why is this product 35 bucks more than elite out the gates ?

Posted February 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink
steve-o

its so fun…….to make a comment that isnt meant to “offend”…..but meant to invoke humor. I sincerely apologize for trying to be ‘funny’. Just out of curiousity-how many years have you been at Beckett Chris ?

Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:47 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Steve-o: I have heard it all before on the subject. And when people are wrong, I will tell them. (It’s my version of being strong-opinioned — just like many who comment, but I work with facts, not opinions.) In this example, I know the boxes were FedExed because I opened it when it arrived at my desk! (Ha.)

I have been here since October 2008.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Deez: It’s always popular, so more has likely been pre-bought, meaning the quantity of what’s left is perhaps smaller than Elite. Basic supply and demand. Plus, Panini has announced that it is sold out — so what’s out there is out there.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink
steve-o

Chris, you are correct-facts may win over opinions everytime. I based my comment on past comments from here and from several other message boards-where, lets just say a few, peoples “opinions” were that you folks were getting some pretty good stuff out of your boxes….and just so you know-this was from the same year you came on board with Beckett. ( and even though you didnt ask….I’ve been here since 1992 (and Im not an employee….and I know these message boards dont date back that far)

I once worked for a company that was a contracted vendor for an NBA team. And although we didnt part on the best of terms, they had one message they taught the managers there & it in turn was suppose to be conveyed on to the staff; it goes like this- ” The Answer Is YES !! What Is The Question? “.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink
Josh

Steve-o, they’ve had some really bad breaks, dude. Maybe you should get back to work on your Lennon assassinating JFK theory. Your current theory is a little weak.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
Josh

Awesome looking cards. Wish I had some money to spare. Maybe next year.

Posted February 25, 2012 at 12:12 am | Permalink
steve-o

Josh…..I didn’t even know Jay Leno was suspected in that one ?!?!?! keep saving that money from your paper route……for ‘next year’…….LOL

Posted February 25, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Permalink
Robert

Picked up a box…TLUK there is a winning combination with Josh Hamilton and Iasn Kinsler.

Let my super picker Michelle pick the box…she did great in 2011 getting me two Harper Autos!
Opened the first four packs and appears to be pretty good….will continue later if anyone is interested…

Pack 1
Season Ticket (ST) Paul Konerko
Prospect Ticket (PT) Cory Spangenberg (San Diego)
First Overall (FO) David Price
Draft Ticket Zeke DeVoss (Chi)
PT Artist Proof Jackie Bradley JR (Red Sox) 34/49

Pack 2
ST Troy Tuolwitzki
DT Abel Baker (LA)
PT Jed Bradley (Brewers)
Marvin Miller Award Michael Young
ST Neftali Feliz Auto!!

Pack 3
ST Nelson Cruz
DT Steven Ames (LA)
ROY Ichiro
PT Kolton wong (STL)
DT Tommy La Stella (ATL) Auto

Pack 4
Winning Combo*WC) Danny Hultzen/John Hicks (SEA)
PT Larry Greene (PHL)
ST Carlos Gonzalez
DT Jason Esposito (BAL)
DT Jordan Cote (NY)

Okay two more packs for tonight

Pack 5
ST Ryan Howard
PT Javier Brez (CHI)
WC Hamilton/Kinsler
DT Michsel Goodnight (CLE)
DT Jack Leathersich (NYM)

Pack 6