Your Turn (Beckett Baseball No. 72): Which rookies or prospects will you chase in 2012?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

You may have seen the Your Turn page in nearly every issue of Beckett Baseball where we showcase stuff that is all about you. You can see your comments on hobby topics and get chances to win cool stuff in contests all on one page. Here’s the next Your Turn question for the next issue:

Which rookies/prospects will you chase in 2012? (BASEBALL ONLY)

Please include your name and location with your comment below — we will only run items with that information. A selection of your answers will appear in the next issue along with our next batch of contests and giveaways found only in the magazine.

My three leading candidates are after the jump …

1. Bryce Harper — He’ll get plenty of attention, no matter what he does in 2012 — and there’s been chatter that he might be doing it in D.C. out of spring training. Watch out if that’s the case.

2. Yu Darvish — Presuming he signs with the Texas Rangers, he has the potential (based on his past stats) to be the best Japanese pitcher ever to come to MLB. And remember how Dice-K sold?

3. Mike Trout — He got a cup of coffee last year with the Los Angeles Angels but didn’t fare well (.220, five home runs 16 RBI in 40 games), so now’s his time to prove himself.

I’m watching mike trout and Bryce Harper, they are both young and have great talent!

Posted January 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink
Shaun B.

Matt Moore! ROY 2012!

Shaun; Naples, FL

Posted January 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I can’t find my 2009 Topps Red Hot Rookies Yu Darvish card. Very frustrating!!

Posted January 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

The Tribe has a bunch of young guys worth chasing. Chisenhall and Kipnis lead the pack.

Posted January 4, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink
steven silverstein

What baseball rookie collector would not want some of the “big” names. Like Harper or Trout. I know I would. But here are three others to think about, in order of preference. Brett Jackson an outfielder in the Cubs organization {probably} their best prospect. Second, Gary Brown another outfielder. The Giants best prospect. And no, not the one who was on the Giants football team. Lastly, Nolan Arenado the Rockies future third-baseman.

Posted January 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink
Ryan

Brett Jackson and Bryan Lahair (2011 PCL MVP); Waverly, IA

Posted January 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
SK

I’m think Yu Darvish and Bryce Harper will have a great years,, when they play great there price will sky rocket!!!!! 2012 it a great years….and new years!!!!

Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink
Trevor C

Looking to Collect Javier Baez huge fan of Cubs Minor League Prospects being that soon enough id probably get to see him shortly cause there double-A team is not too far from me.

Trevor C. Sevierville, TN

Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink
Gabe Hockema

I’d like to see Shelby Miller bring the gas to the Cardinals rotation for a good chunk of the season!

Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink
Laurens

1.) Yoenis Cespedes – from his YouTube videos, he seems like he has the potential to be another Bo Jackson.

2.) Jesus Montero – with his ability to hit, can’t wait to see him play a full season in the Major Leagues, even if it is only as a DH / part time catcher.

3.) Yonder Alonso – he looks to have a good shot to be San Diego’s first baseman of the present and while he won’t hit for the same power, maybe excels the same way Adrian Gonzalez did in a big ballpark.

Laurens, Yorba Linda California

Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:33 am | Permalink
wampier

Also looking for Paul Goldshcmidt to be a power hitter…

Posted January 5, 2012 at 8:35 am | Permalink
David Johnson

I’m intrigued by the players coming from Japan that played well in the WBC and are not named Yu Darvish. Players such as Hisashi Iwakuma and Norichika Aoki could be very good and haven’t been selling anywhere near the prices of Darvish.

Posted January 5, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink
Ryan A.

I think that when looking at the past two years (Strasburg and Harper), you would have to go with someone without a Bowman card released with their current teams. I’d go with Danny Hultzen, Anthony Rendon, and Gerrit Cole. Yes, Bryce Harper will get lots of attention but many collectors cannot afford his autographs even now when his prices are “down”.

Posted January 5, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink
Caleb Wilson, Gilbert AZ

I’m definitely going to have a close eye on Paul Goldschmidt in this upcoming 2012 season. His power as a rookie is equivalent to that of Albert Pujols, Jose Bautista, and Prince Fielder. He also showed that he could bring in the big numbers under pressure as he did last season during the playoff race. Along with his power, he can keep the numbers off the scoreboard while playing first base with his amazingly athletic plays. Goldschmidt is the player to watch!

Posted January 5, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink
Dan

The Killer B’s in NY

Brett Lawrie – ROY?

Trevor Bauer, making a push for a starting rotation spot in the spring

BRYCE HARPER – I can’t decide who’s swing is more deadly, His or Chuck Norris.

Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink
Richard

Instead of putting all the eggs in one basket, I’ve been putting together select sets.
Bowman Platinum and Leaf Metal Draft hard signed autos for the prospects.
I also did the base set for Bowman Platinum
Note: The second Bowman Platinum goes sticker I’ll stop.

I’ve also been looking at a few of the team USA players for hidden gems.
I might even bend my sticker rule if I find someone good enough and no hard signed exist,
but thankfully there does not yet seem to be a need as yet. I’ve picked up some of the
Bowman Chrome Orange variations (#’d to 25) since they almost always go for around the
price of the gold (#’d to 50) and are far more affordable than the red ones (#’d to 5).
I’ve seen cases where you could buy 6 or 7 of the #’d to 25 for the same price as a red.

Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink
Jason Taylor

My guy will be Dylan Bundy. My O’s have to get one right sooner or later!

Posted January 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink
Patrick Mortensen

Patrick Mortensen
Bloomingdale, nj

My prospect choices are easy. They have a high chance of hitting it big, but won’t break the bank.
1. Hak-Ju Lee, SS, RAYS: #2 in Rays organization, and probably top ten in Baseball America’s Top 100. Only Autograph is in Leaf Metal Draft and his ’10 B. Chrome Orange ref. can be had for $80 or less.
2. Gary Brown, OF, Giants: #1 in Giants farm system. Fastest White Man in ball and sure fire lead-off hitter for San Fran. Most likely a mid-season or Sept call-up. His ’10 B. Chrome Draft base auto sell around $20
3. Yasmani Grandal, C, Padres: Traded to Padres in Latos deal. Drafted in ’10, Grandal is a solid catcher that should hit for .300+ AVG w/ 15-20 HR. His ’10 B. Chrome Draft Base auto will set you back $10-$15
This years rookies are a lot tougher. Other than Moore, Lawrie, Darvish, and most likely Harper there aren’t a ton of BIG name guys like back in the 2010 season. Moore and Lawrie would be nice to hoard, for the right price.
Thanks for humoring me in my attempt at prospecting.
Good luck to all

Posted January 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink
Matt Aber

Posted January 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink
Matt Aber

Have to go with the next Bronx Bomber in Jesus Montero, the 5 tool standout in Mike Trout, and Wil Myers who will be the best of the KC prospect herd . Autos, relics, refractors….. wave them all in

Posted January 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink